Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh! Em! Gee!

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/Startrek.aspx

Let's all go!

eta - obviously not all at once, but still
    Last edited by anyrose; 15 Jun 2016 at 11:55 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks! I'll pass it along to some Trekker friends in the area.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's a traveling exhibit. NYC is just the first stop.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ugh, these spammers. Hey Mr. Admin in a Suit, may I make a housekeeping request? How about moving this RPG (and its threads) to its own subforum--maybe instead of the defunct one up on top here--and block posting to everyone but us? It's easy to do via a new usergroup or access masks.

Or maybe consider putting all newbies on moderation for their first five posts. It's not like this board gets all that many legit new registrations.

Back to the game, EH, I meant to ask... you mentioned that Cooper was handing out communicators. But don't our characters always have our communicators with us? Why did we need new ones? Unless it's a precaution as a backup considering Kylah keeps losing hers, in which case... smart move!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not all crew actually have their communicators with them all the time when aboard ship. For anyone who needed one, Cooper would have 'em.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If 1920s clothing is required, the ship's Wardrobe Section can provide it on very short notice, as was done for Dr. McCoy in ST:TOS "Patterns of Force," when Kirk ordered the preparation of an SS colonel's uniform for him, or for Spock, who asked for reproduction historic Vulcan clothing in TAS "Yesteryear."

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Wardrobe_section

Registered
    Mar 2012

Well, I figured Kylah wouldn't know about that (remarkably convenient) wardrobe cache, because a) it probably doesn't come up all that often, and b) it's a frankly ridiculous plot contrivance. Not your own, but Roddenberry's.

It's bad Trek handwaving away what could have explained any other way (as in Kylah's thievery idea). I mean, are we supposed to believe that the Enterprise kept 1920s clothing on the off-chance that they'd come across the planet made-up of 1920s Earth-type gangsters? In fact, not just Earth-type gangsters, but uniquely American type-gangsters.

What if the planet had discovered a book about 1920s Australian aborigines? Would've been pretty funny for Kirk to attempt to go undercover in a zoot suit and discover everyone on the planet in tribal costumes or whatever was worn in the outback. And do they have every single fashion from every single planet's multiple fashion eras conveniently available in multiple sizes, just in case the ship happens into some kind of time travel situation or a cargo cult based on 4th century Andorians? We'd have to have a ship the size of five Enterprises just to accommodate the costume warehouse!

Boy, the quartermaster will have a much easier job once replicators come into their own.

Anyway, a note to everyone:, for the next week (until at least Sunday the 26th) my online time will be way more limited than it usually is, as I'm going down south for a writing retreat/workshop/conclave. Yay! I'll have web access so I'll hopefully be able to post at least once a day, but I just wanted to let you guys know. Feel free to have Kylah knocked unconscious again; it really is her best talent.
    Last edited by choie; 19 Jun 2016 at 02:32 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Kirk and Spock got their suits off two mugged thugs.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Just thought of - You know how in a lot of movies, when the hero knocks out a thug and dons his garments, they fit. In one of the RPGs in which I used to participate, one that takes place within the James Bond 'verse, it's even a rule. Which is why I've always loved the scene in Raiders where the first uniform Indy swipes is too small so he has to punch out another guy for better fitting clothes.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, it is a nice gag from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I just like imagining the Wardrobe Section crewmembers during a Red Alert, hunched over their sewing machines, waiting for an order for 14th century Bolivian sheepherding clothes or 20th century Disco garb.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey, I'm still here in Virginia Beach at the writers' workshop/retreat, which is one of the best things I've ever chosen to do, both artistically and psychologically.

CIAS, I'm sorry about the Brexit vote. Although now that I think of it, I don't know how you would've voted, so maybe you don't need sympathy.

EH or CIAS, if there's any way to change the uttery bizarre mistyping in my latest post from "sheet need" to "sheer material" I would be in your debt! Blame my bizarre setup, which is a 10" tablet combined with a very cool compact keyboard that works with multiple devices so you can switch from typing on a PC to your tablet to your phone, if you like to multitask. Still takes some getting used to after 375 years on a regular keyboard. (I only entered the 21st century with a smartphone recently.)

Thanks! Looking forward to doing some detective work in Damon Runyonland. Actually Kylah would fit right in--like Runyon's gangsters, she doesn't use contractions either!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Glad the workshop/retreat is to your liking - hope you have fun. I'll make that fix, unless CIAS already has.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I couldn't find a photo of Earhard I liked well enough so I'm using Clara Bow, who would never look out of place in any situation

Registered
    Mar 2012

...Because she was Clara Bow. If anyone could get away with anything, it'd be the It Girl herself! Even Greta Garbo and Kate Hepburn were considered daring (and their sexuality questioned, IIRC) with the trousers, but they looked fabulous anyway and I think we can thank them for making it cool for the early adopters among the regular womenfolk. Well, that and WWII. Rosie the Riveter wasnt gonna wear a skirt.

Thanks very much, EH!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Good to hear the retreat is going well and no, I'm quite happy with the result of the referendum for a variety of reasons. Just a little preoccupied atm.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm heading out of town and will be taking a brief break from the game to recharge. My next post will probably be late Monday. Thanks, and hope you all have a good weekend!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Enjoy yourself. We'll be fine.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Have fun EH.

Humblest apologies to all for not being around. The current House of Cards going on is a little distracting

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    Ugh, these spammers. Hey Mr. Admin in a Suit, may I make a housekeeping request? How about moving this RPG (and its threads) to its own subforum--maybe instead of the defunct one up on top here--and block posting to everyone but us? It's easy to do via a new usergroup or access masks.

Or maybe consider putting all newbies on moderation for their first five posts. It's not like this board gets all that many legit new registrations.
    Suggestion taken and implemented - at least where newbs are concerned.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Makes good sense to me. Thanks to choie for the suggestion, and CIAS for making it happen.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm watching the Aerial America marathon on Smithsonian. This hour is South Carolina. I just watched a flyover of the USS Yorktown

Registered
    Sep 2009

Registered
    Sep 2009

A nice ST 50 slideshow, including quite a few pics I hadn't seen before: http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2016/0...tribute-video/

Registered
    Sep 2009

The newly-refurbished original USS Enterprise model has gone back on display at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington. I'd say they've done her proud: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ek-series.html

Registered
    Feb 2009

a viable, although incomplete, glossary of Jazz Age slang

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hm, neither "dig" or "cats" (referring to people) are on there--there's a difference between using "cat's pajamas" and calling someone "cat." I'm not convinced "daddy" was typically used in public by average women--particularly white ones--considering it acknowledges her as a kind of gold-digger. (A girl's "daddy" is usually the guy providing her with drinks, jewels and a flat.) Maybe Collins enjoys playing a loose woman. Also it's entirely authentic for the Starfleet folks to be unaware of the subtleties of slang used in different decades from multiple centuries ago.

Most of all, it's certainly in character for Collins to ignore recommendations by Kylah, or (more worryingly) orders by Rangin!

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's also funnier for slang to be misused by out-of-their-element Starfleet officers.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A convenient online Treknobabble generator: http://homepage.eircom.net/~fuzzbucket/trek.html

Registered
    Feb 2009

sorry I've been scarce. I expect I'll be even scarcer over the next month or so - I'm facing eviction for non-payment and I am scrambling to find alternate housing - either that or a miraculous decision reversal from the SSA

Registered
    Feb 2009

That's dreadful. I hope you manage to get something sorted out soon.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Ugh anyrose so sorry to hear that, will keep fingers crossed

All sorry to have been AWOL, have been at conference last few days, time got away from me!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Very sorry to hear it, anyrose; hope things turn around for you soon!

Registered
    Mar 2012

I'm sorry, anyrose! That sucks bigtime. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things work out!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Maybe you can all write to the SSA and tell them what shits they are for having denied me in the first place? *sigh* curse me for having a good day when I saw their doctor.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ugh, yeah, that's one of those double-edged swords, can't-win-for-losing situations--it's nice to have some days where you feel better, but it's not always frequent enough to do much to enable regular employment. I hope you're able to go through the appeals process, or make a settlement with your landlord.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey boss? May I make a teensy request? Just a tweak of style, really, no big deal. If at all possible, could you, instead of writing things like...

Kylah is confident that, if she needs to get to either her communicator or her phaser-1 in a hurry, she will be able to.
    ...go with something along the lines of:

Both Kylah's communicator and her phaser-1 can now be easily accessed in a hurry.
    (You don't need to change this now, it's just a sample.)

The difference being, describing external statuses rather than emotions, if you know what I mean? By avoiding stuff like "Kylah is confident," the narrative provides the details about stuff our characters can sense/see/hear/etc. outside them. And the players--or just me, maybe no one else cares about this--can stay in control of the PCs' personality/feelings.

In my post it does already seem that Kylah feels that she has room to grab her phaser and communicator. The reason I even brought this up was anyrose's reminder that purses were very small in the '20s. Just making sure Kylah doesn't appear to have a kind of infinite space "bag of holding" (I believe that's the phrase, right?) instead of an era-appropriate item.

It's not a huge deal, as I said, it'd just make me feel less like I've lost agency of Kylah and/or Nia. Thanks whatever you decide! And I'm hoping those aliens successfully nudged Rangin into action.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fair point - thank you. I'll keep it in mind.

Registered
    Mar 2012

No, thank you! Cool. Hey, this is probably a dumb question--it's 'cause I don't remember exactly what part of Ohio you're from--but I was wondering, is your area being turned asunder by the crowds attending that little party going on in Cleveland?

Registered
    Feb 2009

The two Iotians shouldn't be that impatient - in game time it's only been moments - I'm just waiting for CIAS to chime in

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sorry - I'm currently melting in the UK. Someone turned the sun up to full.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I'm not far from where the RNC is meeting. No major problems so far, and Cleveland has gotten quite a lot of good publicity, which I'm glad to see.

And yes, in game time it's been more than moments.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Okay, you stumped me. What is a bio sensor?

Registered
    Sep 2009

In this context, a gadget to use a retina scan, voiceprint, biometric readings etc. to permit entry for authorized personnel.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ah, thank you! I didn't want Kylah to be as ignorant as I am.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So, this mission is an election year allegory.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Huh. I actually didn't intend it to be.

Registered
    Feb 2009

well, while half the team is exploring the house, the rest of us are just waiting for the rally to start, so ... ?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Perhaps we forgot to pick up our badges to show our support...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Didn't know if you wanted to do anything else before it started. There was no reaction to what you gleaned from eavesdropping.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Okay, I didn't remember/realize that the guy's name is "Jojo Krako." That's awesome!
    Jojo was a man who thought he was in Starfleet
    But he's just another mook
    Jojo had his mind blown by the Enterprise
    Now he wants to ditch the Book

Get back
    Get back
    Get back to where you still belong
    Get back
    Get back
    Get back to where you still belong
    23 Skiddoo, Jojo!

+ Reply to thread