+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: What's the worst/most embarrassing hairdo you ever had?

  1. #1
    Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    5,891

    Default What's the worst/most embarrassing hairdo you ever had?

    Post pics, please! Bonus points if you have an actual pic of yourself with the haircut, but if you can't do that, find a pic on google that demonstrates the style.

    My worst one was the Dorothy Hamill cut...it was de rigueur when I was in the sixth grade. Here's Dorothy in the classic version:




  2. #2
    Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,590

    Default

    What's wrong with that? She's totally cute, despite having what has turned into a soccer-mom haircut.

  3. #3
    Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    5,891

    Default

    Let's just say it's not flattering on everyone.

  4. #4
    MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,597

    Default

    My mom used to crimp my hair in the 80s. I can't find a picture that looks as bad as I did. Here's something similar:



    Jodi's hair here is a little shorter than mine and she is cleverly utilizing a side part, whereas my hair was parted straight down the middle. She looks ok, if a little pissed. I looked like this:



    only with hair on top.
    Last edited by Myrnalene; 10 Sep 2010 at 10:57 PM.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

  5. #5
    Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,590

    Default

    I guess my worst was an ill-fated high school attempt to bleach my hair. I learned better later when I was into coloring it purple and green and such but wow, if you don't know what you're doing with bleach you can make your scalp bleed.

  6. #6
    Oliphaunt Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,827

    Default

    Thank God no original pics survive (or if they do, I'm blissfully ignorant of them) but when we lived down south (Victoria), and holidayed in Queensland, I insisted on getting a 'Queensland' haircut. Mullets were disturbingly popular here , back then. So my mother gave me a mullet. I regretted that.


    Last edited by Trojan Man; 10 Sep 2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: image phail, several times.

  7. #7
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,174

    Default

    From the age of 4 to 1st or 2nd grade I had Danny Torrance hair:


  8. #8
    MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,597

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    From the age of 4 to 1st or 2nd grade I had Danny Torrance hair:


    Yeah, in first grade I had this Atreyu haircut and people kept asking whether I was a girl or a boy:

    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

  9. #9
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    10,080

    Default

    When I was little my mom sent me off to school with Goop in my hair. I'm not sure that is the right name of the product, but it was a greenish gel like substance that in the winter would harden. Yes, harden!

    I went through K & 1st grade this way.

  10. #10
    Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Motor City
    Posts
    428

    Default

    I have wavy/curly hair, and as a kid would fight the inevitable detangling and brushing. Somewhere around 11 or 12, my mom decided she was all done and since I wasn't taking care of my hair "right" she'd have it all cut off. No weight to drag the curls down into something decent, she went boy short on the sides and back with a little extra left on top. Think Lyle Lovett. Lyle with no hair product, even. I mostly resembled a lit match.
    Science flies you to the moon; religion flies you into buildings.

  11. #11
    Oliphaunt jali's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NYer in Atlanta
    Posts
    3,464

    Default

    9th grade: Afro Puffs
    Last edited by jali; 11 Sep 2010 at 07:20 PM.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

  12. #12
    Head Heathen Katriona's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    178

    Default

    In 6th grade, I got a perm. On picture day, it rained and then they handed out those combs to everyone as we lined up. My wet, combed perm got really fluffy. I was called "Umbrella Head" for some time after the pics came back. It looks like I have a mushroom cloud emanating from my head.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,590

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by jali View post
    9th grade: Afro Puffs
    I can't help but think you probably looked really cute like that.

  14. #14
    Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,174

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by jali View post
    9th grade: Afro Puffs
    Dude, you were Black Princess Leia? That's awesome!

  15. #15
    Elephant artifex's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    566

    Default

    I was the ugliest kid ever.

    This wasn't exactly escapable - I had too many things working against me - but the hair my mom inflicted on me really, really did not help.

    Thanks to certain Olympic athletes, I ended up with a short haircut (note that my little sister had the same treatment):


    Which grew out into a semi-Atreyu, but with bangs:


    Yes, I got mistaken for a boy.

  16. #16
    Oliphaunt Taumpy's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,356

    Default

    Easily my worst haircut was one that Panther Squad cut for me while we were in college. She got this idea in her head that I'd look neat with some style that required maintenance. No, and for the record, any haircut that requires more from me than a comb is pretty much doomed. It was these really harsh layers. I can't describe it better than that. Maybe she'll come in here to defend it.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

  17. #17
    Padding Enabler Panther Squad's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeastern MA
    Posts
    679

    Default

    I would like to point out that Taumpy is very quick to not mention how he used to call me to say that past hair cuts/dye jobs caused people to actually stop him in public to give him compliments.

    Also, I had cut his hair since then and he had no complaints. BUT HE WILL NEVER FORGET.
    comcast guy - m4m - 18 (nb)
    seem like we had that connection when we looked at each other
    you had a blue shirt on nice asss,dought you will see this but dosnt hurt to try, but id love to play with you. tell me what you where fixing, or the street name,or describe me.

  18. #18
    Free Exy Cluricaun's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Elgin IL
    Posts
    3,641

    Default

    Oh boy, let’s see……..

    There’ve been mullets (complete with razor lines on the sides of my head); 80’s skater kid (shaved head except for really long bangs draped over one entire side of your face); various Mohawks, the 90’s skater kid (head shaved all the way around the sides and the back with the top left really long); my prom pics when I was trying to grow my hair out long and my girlfriends mom cut it to “clean it up” and I ended up with a poofy Rod Stewart shag, and then hair down to my ass. After I cut that long hair off I shaved my head and pretty much just kept the standard 2000’s dude haircut of short sides and back with random bed head spikes all over. Sometimes I get mad at it and shave it off too. Mostly now I focus on growing facial hair. I plan to look like the bastard child of Duane Allman and a Civil War General by the time my wedding is six months past.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

  19. #19
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,908

    Default

    I have no pictures left from that time period, but when I was around fourteen I decided it would be a great idea to get my hair cut like Scully from the X-Files. What with me having curly hair and it not being a terribly flattering cut for my face shape this resulted in several months of misery until it grew out.

  20. #20
    Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Guitar Town
    Posts
    100

    Default

    @ Queen Tonya

    Me too, except I was only six when Mom lined me up with the boys.

    I've had a number of ill advised hairstyles in the past.

    There were my punk years, which mercifully, few pics survive. Hair was in a spiky cut on one side and cut with the clippers on #2 on the other, had the color bleached out and kool-aid dyed according to mood.

    There was the 70's mullet, the 80's flip and various color treatments that, to say the least, weren't flattering on me.

    I finally developed a better sense of style and have a professional, grown-up cut now.
    Last edited by missred; 21 Sep 2010 at 10:49 PM.

  21. #21
    Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    5,891

    Default

    Oh, missred, you totally reminded me of my senior year in HS, when I had a chin-length bob that looked awful, so I cut one side off, for an asymmetrical look. I thought it was pretty cool at the time, but in retrospect...yikes. Pure 80s.

    This is not me, but it's approximately the same 'do:


  22. #22
    Elephant artifex's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    566

    Default

    I had the asymmetrical bob! I particularly liked how it looked with my army/navy surplus beret...
    It seemed like such a good idea at the time, i.e., my mother hated it.

  23. #23
    Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    5,891

    Default

    ha ha, my mother did too. She also hated that my ears were pierced 3 times (only 2 ears!) and that I got one of those magenta foil dye jobs. We were so wild back then, weren't we?! lol.

  24. #24
    Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Guitar Town
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    Oh, missred, you totally reminded me of my senior year in HS, when I had a chin-length bob that looked awful, so I cut one side off, for an asymmetrical look. I thought it was pretty cool at the time, but in retrospect...yikes. Pure 80s.

    This is not me, but it's approximately the same 'do:

    Actually, that cut is a lot more conservative than I had sense to wear. I kind of like it!

    artifex, I had the multiple piercings during the punk years too! Six in one ear, four in the other, two in my eyebrow, a hoop in my sceptum and a couple that clothes covered. My grandkids think that the (mercifully) few surviving pics are a hoot.

+ Reply to thread

Posting rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts