+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Lady Gaga Does Cocaine

  1. #1
    MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,597

    Default Lady Gaga Does Cocaine

    According to a new interview with Vanity Fair.

    She reveals that she has had issues with drug abuse in the past but still does cocaine "occasionally".

    I am of course not surprised that someone in the recording industry does drugs (I assume most of them do), but I can't remember very many other pop singers who have talked about current drug use. I read an article once where Tori Amos mentioned doing cocaine, but she's pretty spacey and it was clear she was like "oops!" after she said it to the reporter. Of course we all know about the trainwrecks like Amy Winehouse, but has someone like Gaga copped to casual hard drug use before?

    And how do we feel about the idea that she's failing as a role model for mentioning this stuff?
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

  2. #2
    Curmudgeon OtakuLoki's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2,836

    Default

    I don't give a damn about role model bullshit. I just don't think that it's reasonable to expect every famous person to be a paragon. It even seems a bit cheap, since often to succeed in many of the fields that get people media attention, they've got to be monomaniacal, which is not a good culture medium for growing what I'd consider a good role model.

    Consider the latest pop singer a role model for your aspirations for artistic expressions, that's fine. But don't expect their lives to withstand minute scrutiny. Choose your role models for the roles you want to emulate, dammit.

  3. #3
    Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    2,933

    Default

    I think it's a tad brave. The boyband, East 17, that were huge in Britain during the 1990s hastened their fall from stardom when one of their members spoke postively about using ecstasy. This band had a primarily teenage and preteen following so a typical moral panic ensued. I think society's attitude to recreational drug use is ridiculous and I for one applaud Ms. Gaga for coming out and admitting to an activity that is very common.

  4. #4
    Padding Enabler Panther Squad's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeastern MA
    Posts
    679

    Default

    She spoke about it openly before she was globally famous (probably when only really the gays knew her...like me. ha!). I think this is how she's saved herself in the current era from major fallout. The Gaga basically admits her faults before they'd ever really become an issue. Thusly any tell-all/tabloid stories about her are destined to crumble since they'd be less dramatic than the tales she tells herself. Hence why the tabloid fodder about her has always come dramatically out of left field.

    That being said, I think it's at least refreshing she admits it out loud and is not selling a false image of herself.
    comcast guy - m4m - 18 (nb)
    seem like we had that connection when we looked at each other
    you had a blue shirt on nice asss,dought you will see this but dosnt hurt to try, but id love to play with you. tell me what you where fixing, or the street name,or describe me.

  5. #5
    Padding Enabler Panther Squad's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeastern MA
    Posts
    679

    Default

    Plus, HELLO
    comcast guy - m4m - 18 (nb)
    seem like we had that connection when we looked at each other
    you had a blue shirt on nice asss,dought you will see this but dosnt hurt to try, but id love to play with you. tell me what you where fixing, or the street name,or describe me.

  6. #6
    The Queen Zuul's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,908

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene View post
    And how do we feel about the idea that she's failing as a role model for mentioning this stuff?
    If you expect Lady GaGa to be a role model for your children, you've already failed as a parent.

    I know of a lot of cases where a celebrity has gone into rehab and been open about their abuse, but casual "yeah, sometimes I do drugs" type of stuff for things harder than pot? I'm unaware of how often that comes up. I'm completely unsurprised that she does it and considering her public persona it's even fitting that she'd be open about it. The fact that she is so open is one of the things I like about her, cocaine use and all.

  7. #7
    Oliphaunt Taumpy's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,356

    Default

    Yeah, no one should be expecting Lady Gaga to be anyone's role model. She outright is supposed to be an over the top nearly caricature of the fame obsessed pop diva. It's hard to tell with her where the line ends between her performance as the character "Lady Gaga" and her real life. (precisely because she wants it that way) The only thing I know of that she's ever said about being a model for anyone was that she wants her fans to have some weird person to look to so they can feel alright about being weird themselves. But I don't think that's ever been intentionally directed toward children.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

  8. #8
    A Groupie Marsilia's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,988

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene View post
    And how do we feel about the idea that she's failing as a role model for mentioning this stuff?
    I think honesty is a virtue that we should all be glad someone is trying to model for our children.

  9. #9
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    10,080

    Default

    Good Lord I hope Lady Gaga is not a role model. That would be depressing to me, very depressing.

    So that said, more power to her for being honest about casual drug use. It is time to legalize this anyway.

  10. #10
    Oliphaunt Rube E. Tewesday's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,812

    Default

    Just what I'd expect from a supervillainess.

  11. #11
    like Gandalf in a way Nrblex's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    844

    Default

    In other news: water revealed to be wet.

  12. #12
    aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    moston, UK.
    Posts
    4,779

    Default

    Remember when pop idols were squeaky-clean featured, wholesome and respectable? Damn, those days were dull!

    ps. If your child is wearing a futuristic pvc bikini to play in the street and asking you for more cocaine pocket money, the problem is with YOU, not Lady Gaga, m'kay?
    Last edited by ivan astikov; 12 Aug 2010 at 03:39 AM.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

+ Reply to thread

Posting rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts