+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Will someone please explain "The Hole" or "The Leak" or whatever it is?

  1. #1
    DeWitt Hoser 5er's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DeWitt, MI
    Posts
    281

    Default Will someone please explain "The Hole" or "The Leak" or whatever it is?

    The snarkpit is all over some security issue, and I'm hearing it's malicious, I'm hearing it's a misconfig, and I'm hearing it's not anything at all. So what's the deal? What's going on with this? Is there really some kind of security issue that needs fixing, and if so, has vBulletin's help desk been queried for some guidance?

    Jim, I've given you the name of my friend who is a wizard at problem solving board security problems, and he can (at the very least) direct you to the resources you need to fix whatever the hell is going on.

    But the real question is, aside from rumour and innuendo...what the hell is going on?

  2. #2
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    10,080

    Default

    I be stepping down within a few months tops if not sooner. I am going to move the Tower thread out here.

    The mole posted the better part of my op anyway.

  3. #3
    MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,597

    Default

    Someone has been posted snippets from the (supposed to be) private mod forum, as well as the private admin forum, which I am given to understand a very few people have access to.

    Either someone high up at Mellophant (or someone formerly high up at Domebo / Mellophant) has enough disdain for this board and the members to post this stuff to point and laugh at us, or there is a security hole.

    And Jim - this isn't a personal slight against you, but this board has been running for weeks and the hole is not there. I personally am tired of being told "we're working on it" and "I can't tell you what we are doing". With all due respect to you guys, who I know work very hard - whatever you are doing is not working. There was something else posted today. Please let us know what's been done and let us think about this as a community so we can find a fix. Having this situation is unacceptable.

    ETA: Sorry, I missed your post on preview that said you are moving the Tower thread out. Thank you.
    Last edited by Myrnalene; 04 Oct 2009 at 07:55 PM.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

  4. #4
    MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,597

    Default

    Wait. If this is the thread you mean, it doesn't answer the OP at all.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

  5. #5
    A Football of Fate Jeff's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    537

    Default

    I think Fiver meant to ask, what's up with the big old security hole? And not, what's up with WhatJim.

  6. #6
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    10,080

    Default

    I have no answer to give right now. Sorry.

  7. #7
    A Football of Fate Jeff's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Well how about a rundown of what's what for those of us who haven't been paying attention?

  8. #8
    DeWitt Hoser 5er's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DeWitt, MI
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Well, I'm basically asking what Jeff just suggested. For those of us not in the loop (like for those of us who don't even know what "The Tower" is, other than the thing I turn on to make my monitor all bright and colourful,) I'm basically axing, "So like, is it a malicious thing or is it a configuration thing, or do you not know, and like, what evidence has there been to suggest anything at all?"

    Yeah, that's basically what I meant.

  9. #9
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    10,080

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by Fiveroptic View post
    Well, I'm basically asking what Jeff just suggested. For those of us not in the loop (like for those of us who don't even know what "The Tower" is, other than the thing I turn on to make my monitor all bright and colourful,) I'm basically axing, "So like, is it a malicious thing or is it a configuration thing, or do you not know, and like, what evidence has there been to suggest anything at all?"

    Yeah, that's basically what I meant.
    It is malicious. It seems to be access to the Mod Forum and not Admin but there was a much bigger hole. The bigger whole included someone moving threads around and having access to the Admin forum. Someone was trying to convince us it was one of the mods.

    Is that what you are looking for? If I tell you what is being done to find the mole, then we are also telling the mole what we are doing.

    Honestly, we could just do away with the mod forum being private. But that might no be the entire problem.

    Also I am severely unqualified to run the board, I will accept blame for everything that has gone wrong and I plan to pass this mess off to someone else, but hopefully cleaned up first.

  10. #10
    DeWitt Hoser 5er's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DeWitt, MI
    Posts
    281

    Default

    That answered my question. Thank you.

  11. #11
    I put the DU in DUMBO. Dangerously Unqualified's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    It is malicious. It seems to be access to the Mod Forum and not Admin but there was a much bigger hole. The bigger whole included someone moving threads around and having access to the Admin forum. Someone was trying to convince us it was one of the mods.

    Is that what you are looking for? If I tell you what is being done to find the mole, then we are also telling the mole what we are doing.

    Honestly, we could just do away with the mod forum being private. But that might no be the entire problem.

    Also I am severely unqualified to run the board, I will accept blame for everything that has gone wrong and I plan to pass this mess off to someone else, but hopefully cleaned up first.

    If you are Severely Unqualified then can I be WhichExit?








    Kidding, I'm kidding.

+ Reply to thread

Posting rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts