+ Reply to thread

Thread: Questions on Mod Notes in the The Devil Went Down To Georgia thread.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Questions on Mod Notes in the The Devil Went Down To Georgia thread.

Moderator note: This discussion was split from The Devil Went Down To Georgia. (Jim)

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Moderator note: Further discussion of the personal history or crimes of posters are to be moved to the Rage Pit. Do not continue this line of conversation here.
    Oh, really? The Rage Pit is for rants, flaming and insults, none of which I'm interested in, and none of which I've done here.

Suppose one of the posters in this thread has experience as an investigating officer -- should I refrain from asking him to relate the subject of the thread to his experience?

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

How many mod notes does it take to get thrown in the Cage? Isn't that what it's supposed to be for? Seriously.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin View post
    Oh, really? The Rage Pit is for rants, flaming and insults, none of which I'm interested in, and none of which I've done here.

Suppose one of the posters in this thread has experience as an investigating officer -- should I refrain from asking him to relate the subject of the thread to his experience?
    Moderator note retracted with apologies. Since people only ever brought up his history to harass ivan on the Dope, I thought that's what was happening here and completely misread the situation. I'm sorry for that. I should have paid more attention to the tone of the discussion.

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Moderator note retracted with apologies. Since people only ever brought up his history to harass ivan on the Dope, I thought that's what was happening here and completely misread the situation. I'm sorry for that. I should have paid more attention to the tone of the discussion.
    Seriously? He's stalking Ivan with his nonsense. Ivan didn't introduce his past into this discussion, Baldwin did. I, for one, had no idea that Ivan had any past regarding criminal activities. Baldwin is using this question to harass a poster.

It's pretty clear from the earlier responses that Ivan was confused and taken aback by Baldwin's garbage, but answered the question honestly regardless.

Jim warned him and he argued. You warned him and he argued. How is that not time in The Cage? I thought the purpose of The Cage was to stop people/trolls from derailing a conversation to continue with their own agenda. We're not talking about banning him from yet ANOTHER website because he can't be a good boy and follow posted rules (see how fun it is to bring someone's behavior into a topic? ), we're talking about an hour or two in the The Cage.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Tbh, my initial response was going to be "Yes, I regularly slaughtered entire families and their friends in pursuit of a bit of moolah to subsidise my bohemian lifestyle, but try and keep it under your hat."

Baldwin has tried to prod me a little in the past, so it wouldn't have been much of a stretch for one to think he was doing it here.

While appreciating the reassurance that it wasn't just me who thought his 1st post a little askew, I'm really more interested in whether any more details have arose regarding the suspect. My google-fu has failed me thus far.

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Just as a data point: Baldwin also brought up ivan's past for no discernable reason in this thread and this thread and this thread and this thread and frankly I can't believe he's sitting here with a straight face and acting like this isn't still more of the same.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene View post
    Just as a data point: Baldwin also brought up ivan's past for no discernable reason in this thread and this thread and this thread and this thread and frankly I can't believe he's sitting here with a straight face and acting like this isn't still more of the same.
    Thank you for the links. ivan seems to be OK with the questions this time and if he is not he can let the mods know. I think Baldwin now knows we are aware of him doing this in more than one thread.

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Myrna, don't bother. Really.

Like I just mentioned in the PM to the mods, this will make for very very interesting discussions in the future now that we're allowed to bring any old thing about someone's past into a post. Fun times will be had.

Now, how quickly will the Ivory Tower info be in the snackpit. That's the real question

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Thank you for the links. ivan seems to be OK with the questions this time and if he is not he can let the mods know. I think Baldwin now knows we are aware of him doing this in more than one thread.
    How odd. You have told us in chat that it doesn't take the object of the attack to do the reporting. You have claimed that several people have reported fighting in chat and that's why people have been 101'd. Now it seems you're going with the idea that it's only trouble if Ivan reports it?

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sleeps w/Butterflies View post
    Myrna, don't bother. Really.

Like I just mentioned in the PM to the mods, this will make for very very interesting discussions in the future now that we're allowed to bring any old thing about someone's past into a post. Fun times will be had.
    No, Sleeps, I'm glad she linked to those, as I did not realize it was a pattern of behavior. I'm bringing this up to be discussed in the Ivory Tower.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Why can't you believe it? He got a mode note to stop, continued, and feigned innocence. He got another mode note from another mode, continued, and feigned innocence.

Why in the world should he stop? Because he ruined a thread? I imagine that was his original purpose. If all the modes are going to agree to pretend that Baldwin's motives were pure and innocent, and not care about the fact that the thread was killed with the first reply, what in the world motivation does Baldwin have to change his behavior?

It's not like you need other threads to see what his intent was in this thread anyway. It's just more bullshit encouragement for posters to game the rules like people did on the SDMB, and so what if potentially interesting threads get ruined in the process?

Quote Originally posted by Sleeps
    Now it seems you're going with the idea that it's only trouble if Ivan reports it?
    Given Ivan's responses in that thread and this one, it's sort of bizarre that two modes have apparently agreed that Ivan was "okay" with the questions. The fact that Ivan was polite enough not to break the rules doesn't mean he thought it was okay. And for the rest of us, I don't particularly think it's okay if every thread Ivan starts is turned into a colloquium on his purported criminal history.
    Last edited by Exy; 09 Sep 2009 at 12:56 PM.

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Thank you, Sarah.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thank you for the links. I was unaware of the specific history between them and just had a general sense of people harassing him about it, not that it was Baldwin in specific. I see now the initial report mentions the history, but What Exit? had responded to the first report and so I hadn't paid attention to it. This does change things, IMO.

From what I had seen before this thread made me look closer, ivan had not reported it and did not indicate concern in the thread. Not knowing there was history between them, I worried that I had made a mistake and butted in where I was unneeded.

As mentioned, Sarah has brought this up in the Tower.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

No problem. I don't feel that I've been harrassed by you or any other Dope or Mellophant mod at all.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

See mod note in this thread.
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 09 Sep 2009 at 02:01 PM.

+ Reply to thread