+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Monday Wut Wut: An icon worth keeping

  1. #1
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,340

    Default Monday Wut Wut: An icon worth keeping

    It seems that over the last couple of decades that age of the icon is coming to an end. The people who used to appear larger than life and inspire those around have been replaced by an ever increasing idenitkit line of celebrity, where the only way to be noticed is to be more outrageous than the last.

    It seems that some people are only too happy to take that spot in the limelight and then try and occupy it as long as possible. But as they strove to the top, its getting harder and harder to stay there and the next few of bright pretty young things is always around the corner biting at their heels. But let's be honest, they are not icons, they are just the day's passing fancy.

    It's not only people that have the same problem, several things are taken apart in the name of progress. As if to say that if an idea has been around for too long, then there is a new more improved idea that will always be better. That's not to say that all old ideas are good, some are most definitely better off left behind and lost in the annals of history.

    The reason for my ramblings is that I saw the new Routemaster bus over the weekend. An icon of Britain and, in particular London, an icon that was known worldwide. But some people decreed that because it was old, there were better ideas, more efficient ideas that could take its place.

    Some people have no emotion in their hearts.

    The original idea moved from beyond just a bus to being a classic design and icon. It was well liked, because it did the job well, but it was not enough for some, who inisisted on getting rid of them to forward their own agendas and allow them and what they wanted to be the icon that followed. The bendy buses carried more people and were more efficient, and costworthy. But the danger to cyclists, other vehicles and unsuitability to some of the streets of London meant they were never liked.

    Most people I know are looking forward to going back. With a slighty different style, the original icon will return and I think people will feel better for it. Sometimes its worth keeping something for how it makes you feel.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  2. #2
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,803

    Default

    We do have some icons left though. NYC still has 4 I can think off and 1 that truly inspires. The Statue of Liberty is still an inspiration and about as iconic as anything in the world. The Empire State Building, The Chrysler Building & the Brooklyn bridge all inspire in their own way.

    Big Ben stills stands out as does the London Eye. Is the Eye iconic yet?


    San Francisco has hung onto its iconic Trolley's and of course have the Golden Gate Bridge.

    LA has its smog still

  3. #3
    Oliphaunt Jizzelbin's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    Location
    in a mouth
    Posts
    4,071

    Default

    Well, I heard somewhere they still have the Eiffel tower!

    How about things like your average NY subway station, or one of those Paris Metro (that's their subway) entrances, with the classic iron-and-doodads motifs?

    Or for that matter, Ray's Famous Original Pizza -- pick any one!
    "In certi casi la bellezza č proprio sconfortante."

  4. #4
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,803

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Well, I heard somewhere they still have the Eiffel tower!

    How about things like your average NY subway station, or one of those Paris Metro (that's their subway) entrances, with the classic iron-and-doodads motifs?

    Or for that matter, Ray's Famous Original Pizza -- pick any one!
    Grand Central Station is still awesome though that is one only locals would know. Yankee Stadium (II) is a newly minted iconic stadium that matches the old well. They are beginning to build a new Penn Station to rival the classic original one that city modernizers without heart or soul destroyed senselessly. They are actually 100s of iconic things in NYC alone. From the LOVE sculpture and the Wall Street Bull to Rockefeller Center.

  5. #5
    Oliphaunt Jizzelbin's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    Location
    in a mouth
    Posts
    4,071

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    They are beginning to build a new Penn Station to rival the classic original one that city modernizers without heart or soul destroyed senselessly.
    People actually liked Penn Station? My years in the city were in the 1990s, mostly so maybe it was too late, but I just associate that place with being a miserable open toilet.

    ETA what do you mean Grand Central Station only locals? What did they blow it up, or something? I mean it's still there, I assume. Yeah, I guess you're right -- nobody really goes there unless you're catching a commuter train. Still, *North by Northwest*!

    I still think your average NY subway platform counts as iconic -- what was that Woody Allen movie where they had the subway sign above the bed? That plus an average pizza joint -- can't watch a movie/TV set in NYC without seeing that.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 03 Oct 2015 at 06:20 PM.
    "In certi casi la bellezza č proprio sconfortante."

  6. #6
    Oliphaunt Jizzelbin's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    Location
    in a mouth
    Posts
    4,071

    Default

    HEY WAIT A DAMNED MINUTE!

    The OP was talking about iconic people! You tricked me, whatexit! More Cary Grant/John Wayne rather than Monument Valley!

    Well, whatever, I stand by my "contributions."
    "In certi casi la bellezza č proprio sconfortante."

  7. #7
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,803

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    They are beginning to build a new Penn Station to rival the classic original one that city modernizers without heart or soul destroyed senselessly.
    People actually liked Penn Station? My years in the city were in the 1990s, mostly so maybe it was too late, but I just associate that place with being a miserable open toilet.

    ETA what do you mean Grand Central Station only locals? What did they blow it up, or something? I mean it's still there, I assume. Yeah, I guess you're right -- nobody really goes there unless you're catching a commuter train. Still, *North by Northwest*!

    I still think your average NY subway platform counts as iconic -- what was that Woody Allen movie where they had the subway sign above the bed? That plus an average pizza joint -- can't watch a movie/TV set in NYC without seeing that.
    Penn Station was torn down in 1963 for the crappy open toilet it is now. They plan to make a new station out of the post office across the street that was designed by the same architect and built in the same style. Old Penn Station was by all reports magnificent and an awesome entryway for those coming to NYC.





    Comparing the new and the old Penn Station, renowned Yale architectural historian Vincent Scully once wrote, "One entered the city like a god; one scuttles in now like a rat." This feeling, shared by many New Yorkers, has led to movements for a new Penn Station that could somehow atone for the loss of an architectural treasure
    Last edited by What Exit?; 03 Oct 2015 at 08:11 PM.

  8. #8
    Oliphaunt Jizzelbin's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    Location
    in a mouth
    Posts
    4,071

    Default

    Thanks for that -- I used to have some Dover books like *NY Then and Now*. I never understood that Penn Station was anything other than a place to get hepatitis.

    It's still about the shittiest place in Manhattan, though. Unless you want to score exotic drugs like H or pastrami sandwiches.
    "In certi casi la bellezza č proprio sconfortante."

  9. #9
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,803

    Default

    Well many older New Yorkers that can remember the old station, and people like me that just like the idea of Penn Station as the front entrance of NYC, are hoping the plans to build a new Magnificent Penn will happen. It looks as if this will happen and Madison Square Garden will move yet again to get out of the way.

  10. #10
    Oliphaunt Jizzelbin's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    Location
    in a mouth
    Posts
    4,071

    Default

    Eh, MSG is just one big parking lot. It was great when Phish came, though. Not.

    Still not sold on the whole penn sta. thing though -- the pictures are bitching, but, come on, "iconic"? Brooklyn bridge got way more awesome than that. Obviously, Empire State bldg. fucking Times Square. fucking A the library at 47th with the lions. Washington Square!
    "In certi casi la bellezza č proprio sconfortante."

  11. #11
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,803

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Eh, MSG is just one big parking lot. It was great when Phish came, though. Not.

    Still not sold on the whole penn sta. thing though -- the pictures are bitching, but, come on, "iconic"? Brooklyn bridge got way more awesome than that. Obviously, Empire State bldg. fucking Times Square. fucking A the library at 47th with the lions. Washington Square!
    Also the American Museum of Natural History, The Guggenheim, The Flat Iron Building, Central Park, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, One World Trade Center will become one, also that subway exhaust grate that blew up Marilyn Monroe's dress. OK, maybe not the last one.

  12. #12
    Oliphaunt Jizzelbin's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    Location
    in a mouth
    Posts
    4,071

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Also the American Museum of Natural History, The Guggenheim, The Flat Iron Building, Central Park, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, One World Trade Center will become one, also that subway exhaust grate that blew up Marilyn Monroe's dress. OK, maybe not the last one.
    Naw. That venting grate got all corroded and shit. The NatHist is only good on the inside, speaking of......Bringing up Baby. Central Park is a sewer. The Met....maybe a close second to the Manhattan central library/Bryant Park. Met>Library in matters of hot dog vendors, only. The Guggenheim is a monstrosity.

    Flatiron Bldg though -- yeah, that's notable, everyone knows that, but I don't know if it's an icon.

    I have figured out why you are so into Penn St., though -- the only reasonable way to fly into NYC domestically is into EWK eta whoops EWR -- why do I still think it's EWK? Never mind, and from there grab a bus into Penn Sta. They do have a lot of good musicians, or used to, playing down there, also.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 04 Oct 2015 at 10:03 AM.
    "In certi casi la bellezza č proprio sconfortante."

  13. #13
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,803

    Default

    There are trains to Penn now, but the buses take you up to the horror known as the Port Authority unless you're careful. Penn Station is my station as that is where NJ Transit goes. Otherwise Ferry or the Path Train for good mass transit.

  14. #14
    Administrator CatInASuit's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coulsdon Cat Basket
    Posts
    10,340

    Default

    There are loads of iconic buildings in London: St Pauls, Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament and so on. Big Ben is just the bell in the tower although everyone gets it mixed up.

    The London Eye has become pretty iconic in its own way, even though there are several copies now dotted around the world. It's also a great way to see London as well, especially on a clear sunny day.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

  15. #15
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    16,115

    Default

    Washington, D.C. has no lack of icons - here's three:


  16. #16
    Oliphaunt Rube E. Tewesday's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,725

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    There are trains to Penn now, but the buses take you up to the horror known as the Port Authority unless you're careful. Penn Station is my station as that is where NJ Transit goes. Otherwise Ferry or the Path Train for good mass transit.
    Penn Station is where we entered New York City, by train, when we made our first family trip there. It was late at night, and the place was strangely empty. We made our way to the Taxi Stand. As we came out of the station, my kid, nine at the time, dropped his bags and shouted "I can't believe I'm in New York City!" To which some New York character, the kind who's standing outside Penn Station late, late at night, replies "First time in the City? Hey Showty, Welcome to New Yawk!" It was like being in a movie, and I started looking around waiting for the chorus line to join in.

  17. #17
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    9,803

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    ... It was like being in a movie, and I started looking around waiting for the chorus line to join in.
    Scary thing is it occasionally happens. Beats the late 70s when they just mugged you instead though by a lot.

  18. #18
    Oliphaunt Jizzelbin's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    Location
    in a mouth
    Posts
    4,071

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    There are trains to Penn now, but the buses take you up to the horror known as the Port Authority unless you're careful. Penn Station is my station as that is where NJ Transit goes. Otherwise Ferry or the Path Train for good mass transit.
    I guess I must have taken the airport shuttles to Port Authority -- hey it's been a while. I still stand by that, while having some great musicians, Penn Station is a toilet.
    "In certi casi la bellezza č proprio sconfortante."

+ Reply to thread

Posting rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts