+ Reply to thread

Thread: How do I start an Ask the Expert thread?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default How do I start an Ask the Expert thread?

After a lengthy discussion with Inner Stickler in chate, I decided to try to open a "Ask me about music theory" thread. But clicking "new thread" in Ask the Expert yielded a message telling me I don't have permission. The box at the bottom tell me I cannot make new threads.

So what's the procedure here? I notice that there aren't any particularly recent OPs. Is the forum still open?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I found this thread asking the same question, and I'll follow What Exit?'s advice. It might be a good idea to include those instructions in a sticky in the forum.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This actually brings up a thought I was having about changing the forums around. Since Questions and Answers and Ask the Expert don't get a lot of activity, but cover somewhat similar ground, I've been debating combining them and making the AtE threads just like ordinary threads.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, I've started the thread and reported it as What Exit? suggested in the linked thread. It doesn't really matter to me where it goes.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    This actually brings up a thought I was having about changing the forums around. Since Questions and Answers and Ask the Expert don't get a lot of activity, but cover somewhat similar ground, I've been debating combining them and making the AtE threads just like ordinary threads.
    You might as well, I think we have far too many forums now for the activity of the board.

I would recommend ending the Ask the Expert forum experiment.
    I would also seriously consider folding Song Battles back into Games and Sports and Mellophant Film Critic's Club back into Arts and Entertainment. Maybe the The Non-English Lounge back into the The Lounge

I think the other forums have just enough activity/history to keep them as subforums. If Myrna or someone else ever restarts the Film Club it would not be hard to recreate the forum again.

One last one, could/should The Dark Room & Write Here, Write Now be merged into a single forum whose description includes both of the current forums? Call it something like

Creative Works?
    A place to show off your creative written works and user generated images, craftwork and image-oriented threads.

Maybe even make this it own forum instead of a subforum.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 30 Jul 2010 at 02:42 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quick Look at Forums by posts:

48,473__The Lounge
    23,515__Arts and Entertainment
    20,100__Games and Sports
    15,390__The Thunderdome
    11,350__The Crucible
    9,556___About Mellophant
    7,247___Role Playing Games
    7,114___Questions and Answers
    2,381___The Dark Room
    1,816___Write Here, Write Now
    1,811___Eat, Drink, and be Merry
    1,020___The Cage
    704_____Song Battles
    544_____In Real Life
    400_____Front Page News
    242_____Mellophant Film Critic's Club
    155_____The Non-English Lounge

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've folded the Film Critic's Club into A&E because it only had eleven threads. If the club starts up again, it can get its own subforum once more. For now I'm leaving the Non-English Lounge in place because it's a very specific niche and would be lost in the monster that is the Lounge. I'm not doing anything to Song Battles without Taumpy's input.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    I've folded the Film Critic's Club into A&E because it only had eleven threads. If the club starts up again, it can get its own subforum once more. For now I'm leaving the Non-English Lounge in place because it's a very specific niche and would be lost in the monster that is the Lounge. I'm not doing anything to Song Battles without Taumpy's input.
    Cool, how about combining the two creative arts forums?

Quote Originally posted by Me
    One last one, could/should The Dark Room & Write Here, Write Now be merged into a single forum whose description includes both of the current forums? Call it something like

Creative Works?
    A place to show off your creative written works and user generated images, craftwork and image-oriented threads.

Maybe even make this it own forum instead of a subforum.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I personally don't like that idea, just because image threads are so very different from prose threads. But if other people (aside from you, Jim. ) would like to see them combined we can do that.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm not sure about folding in The Dark Room, but it might not be a bad idea to expand Write Here, Write Now into a more general purpose creative works forum rather than specifically a writer's forum. I actually suggested that back in the Dark Ages.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by fachverwirrt View post
    I'm not sure about folding in The Dark Room, but it might not be a bad idea to expand Write Here, Write Now into a more general purpose creative works forum rather than specifically a writer's forum. I actually suggested that back in the Dark Ages.
    That I could get behind.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Good enough, I don't feel strongly about this, I was just looking for a way to neaten things a little.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As I understand it currently The Dark Room is still the place for image-centric threads, but it seems to me that this is a relic from the days before images were enabled in all forums. This would be a good time to change that.

Original and creative photos and other images can be merged into Write Here, Write Now creating a forum for original creative works.

For other people's works there is A&E.

Everything that isn't (primarily) artistic goes somewhere else, e.g. The Lounge.

+ Reply to thread