+ Reply to thread
Page 211 of 211 FirstFirst ... 111 161 201 207 208 209 210 211
Results 10,501 to 10,507 of 10507

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

  1. #10501
    Oliphaunt Jizzelbin's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    Location
    in a mouth
    Posts
    11,271

    Default

    Yeah. Well. That's a lot movies out there....but I wouldn't disagree. Remarkable film, to make a very great understatement.

    TNP will choose: revolver or semi-automatic pistol. Doesn't matter the caliber or purpose....just whatever TNP thinks is more fun to fire/clean/find ammo or whatever else. Purely subjective.

  2. #10502
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    25,106

    Default

    I think semi-automatic pistols are cooler, so I'll pick one of those. As I understand it, most of them are more modern, reliable and powerful than most revolvers, too.

    TNP has been to a shooting range in the past two weeks.

  3. #10503
    Oliphaunt Jizzelbin's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    Location
    in a mouth
    Posts
    11,271

    Default

    Yeah. It's my New Year's resolution....although as a Knight of Columbus that somewhat precludes me from fully celebrating the Jewish new year with the savoir-faire of one of the chosen....but....it's still something. A date on the calendar Yeah, once a week I discover anew just how poor my abilities are at the sport of precision shooting, by examining the paper targets every twenty rounds or so, and putting up a new paper target and trying again. About once a week is what I can reliably, consistently do, and not just blasting away at the paper, but deliberate, controlled work on form and adaptation to different handguns. Very difficult to become proficient at shooting: not at all like point-and-shoot. One's form is very much determinant when it comes to even making small groups at seven yards, say. It can be an expensive hobby, I guess, but no more so than automobiles or music or fashion-istizing, or whatever people do.

    TNP has acquired a new bit of clothing or accessory recently that he or she likes quite a bit, and if true, is to describe it.

  4. #10504
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    25,106

    Default

    Yes, I recently got a new necktie in the Princeton University colors of black and orange; my dad is an alum.

    TNP thinks more of Halloween than of Princeton when it comes to those colors.

  5. #10505
    Oliphaunt Jizzelbin's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    Location
    in a mouth
    Posts
    11,271

    Default

    True. I don't actually think of Princeton University all that often....but the Institute for Advanced Study and that lovable rogue's gallery who used to hang around the town enters the head sometimes.

    TNP thinks it's not such a good idea to completely disassemble a firearm (besides for field-stripping.....or something comparable) if one has very little idea of how to begin to reassemble it

  6. #10506
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    25,106

    Default

    Absolutely true. And be very, very sure it's unloaded before you start, including removing the magazine and checking the chamber and barrel. Treat every gun as if it's loaded.

    TNP knows someone who accidentally fired a gun, thinking it was unloaded.

  7. #10507
    Oliphaunt Jizzelbin's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    Location
    in a mouth
    Posts
    11,271

    Default

    No comment. OK, fine, yes. In my condo, muzzle pointed in a safe direction and aware of what my target was and what was behind. A few .22LR (one through a Mark III Target pistol, and one through a Ruger 10/22 rifle), and maybe one round of 9mm. Best not say any more about that. Only the 9mm FMJ was a true negligent discharge, though....the others were done for testing purposes. FTR, I don't believe in "accidental discharges"....always negligent. Don't even really believe the hullabaloo surrounding the Sig P320 "spontaneous discharges," from a few years back, although Sig Sauer did admit there were some problems with a firing pin moving under inertia if dropped, which they fixed gratis.

    And, yes, even at one range last few weeks I've only been 99% of trigger discipline....a few time I let my finger inside the trigger guard while clearing a malfunction. No discharge, though. Even though the range was "hot," I'd likely have had to have an unpleasant little chat with one of the board members or another shooter if they noticed.

    Every single one of Col. Cooper's four basic rules should not be ever, ever violated, not even once. Ever. I think most serious shooters would agree, even though there are some real assholes shooting on BLM land and at some of the public ranges...I don't consider them serious shooters, however....just a bunch of clowns.


    Actually...I change my answer to a "no"....given that I knew very well that each gun was loaded (as are all guns, at all times). And don't personally know anyone who has made that mistake.

    TNP is highly irritated by at least one-third of the following singer-songwriters: Paul Simon, Van Morrison, or Neil Young.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; Yesterday at 04:15 PM.

+ Reply to thread

Posting rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts