+ Reply to thread
Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 113 114 115 116 117
Results 5,801 to 5,805 of 5805

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Setup thread

  1. #5801
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    25,098

    Default

    Sixty years ago Tuesday, Star Trek aired its first episode, "The Man Trap.” I first caught the show in syndication in the late Seventies, and have been a Trekker ever since. As a kid I was hooked by the action, adventure and aliens, the courage of Capt. Kirk and the intellect of Mr. Spock, but in time I came to appreciate the show's thought-provoking stories of an optimistic future. Star Trek tells us that, centuries from now, humanity just might overcome its self-destructive ways and venture far beyond our own Solar System to become part of a vast, diverse, peaceful interstellar republic under the rule of law.

    I think we still need that kind of uplifting storytelling these days, and I'm glad to have you all playing this game with me as we continue to tell our own Starfleet story.

    Many thanks!

  2. #5802
    Administrator choie's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    5,170

    Default

    Thank you for turning your admiration and engagement into creativity that lets all of us explore a bit of the universe that makes Trek special to you.

  3. #5803
    Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Thank you EH and all my colleagues on this journey.

    While I was enamored of Star Trek as kid, my transformative moment was ST:NG.

    My girlfriend at the time and I had some rough years in college.

    But we'd huddle by the 8" black and white TV I'd borrowed from my brother to watch ST:NG every week.

    And for that hour all was well with the world.

    Well - for most episodes, anyway...
    Last edited by general_urko; 16 Sep 2026 at 07:25 PM.

  4. #5804
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    25,098

    Default

    I know just what you mean!

  5. #5805
    Administrator choie's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    5,170

    Default

    Went to see "Hamilton" on Wednesday night, for the 2nd time since 2017, mainly because Christopher Jackson (who originated the role of George Washington) is back for a return engagement and I never had a chance to see him. The musical is fantastic, I already knew that, but wow was this a thrilling experience--even more so than the first time. We had insanely good seats and the immersive quality was especially intense, as was the opportunity to see the cast's expressions and the finer details of the character interactions.

    But what really struck me--and the reason I'm mentioning this to you guys--was the different vibe that 2026 brings to the overall theme both of revolution and of how to maintain a democracy once (seemingly) obtaining it. Toward the end of the first act...uh, spoiler alert, I guess?...the Battle of Yorktown/World Turned Upside Down number (youtube.com/watch?v=m4UCqtsWJOk) ends with the company celebrating the hard-fought win along with handling the losses, and when the question is asked if they'll finally be truly free, Washington makes the harsh point: "Not yet." Although that resonated in 2017, God knows, it really feels surreal and urgent this year.

    Even if you watch the linked video (which is from the 2016 Tony Awards of the original cast, w/o their usual prop guns out of respect for the Pulse shooting, which had just happened), as great as it is, it doesn't give you even 25% of the adrenaline and urgency that all of us in the theater felt in the current environment and the energy the cast was beaming out. (Pun!) As familiar with the score and story as I am, the Yorktown moment when Hamilton et al. are battling and it's nothing but the action, the red and white lights and LOUD bass/strings/drums overwhelming, us gave me a thrill I haven't had in the theater in a long, long time.

    So... I dunno exactly why I'm rambling. I'm grateful to you, EH, for naming our ship the Yorktown. As we're on Cavinre with a despotic leader and autocracy, I hope we get the chance to spark something, or assist in some minor way (to the extent a 7-person crew can).

    Also, if you haven't seen the show, or haven't in a while, I hope you'll get the chance to see it live if you're interested. I think we can all use that fightng energy!

    "Tell your brother that he's gotta
    Rise up!
    Tell your sister that she's gotta
    Rise up!
    When are these colonies gonna
    Rise up?
    "

    When indeed.


+ Reply to thread

Posting rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts