+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Book Suggestions of the Fantasy Variety

  1. #1
    Stegodon Campionaki's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St. Joseph, MN
    Posts
    124

    Default Book Suggestions of the Fantasy Variety

    So I just recently finished re-reading most of Brisingr by Christopher Paolini, and was struck at how long it has been since I read a book that really captivated me. I used to read as often as a fish swims, but recently that time has been devoted elsewhere.

    One of my problems is that I cannot decide on a book to read. I love reading fantasy and science fiction/ fantasy novels, and my recent favorites include The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, and The Sword of Truth novels by Terry Goodkind. Dragons particularly fascinate me, as well.

    What other fantasy books are there with dragons, elves, and dwarves that I could lose myself in?

  2. #2
    Elephant Ramses's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    559

    Default

    There's no dwarves, though there's a dwarf.
    There's no elves, although maybe that's what the Others are.
    There were dragons... and will be again.

    It's also the most groundbreaking fantasy literature since Lord of the Rings.

    Start with A GAME OF THRONES by George R. R. Martin.
    Then pick up the rest of the series when you realize I'm right.

  3. #3
    Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central NJ (near Bree)
    Posts
    10,080

    Default

    I need to start on Game of Thrones myself, especially with the HBO series coming up.

    For dragons, I recommend some of the following:
    The Elric series by Michael Moorcock is a classic story about one of the earliest anti-heroes. It has some dragons though not a lot. It was one of the earliest major fantasy series.

    The Dragon Riders of Pern series starting with original trilogy is excellent and will go in a surprising but delightful direction. Dragonflight from 1968 was excellent.


    For more Tolkien like fantasy, (but no dragons) Sword of Shannara is about as derivative of the Lord of the Rings as any book could be and on purpose but it is still good.

    The Last Unicorn is a great piece of older High Fantasy. Written by a loyal and early Middle Earth fanatic. Though this book is not derivative of Tolkien at all.

  4. #4
    Stegodon Campionaki's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St. Joseph, MN
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Thanks for the suggestions!

  5. #5
    my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    6,993

    Default

    Quote Originally posted by Ramses View post
    There's no dwarves, though there's a dwarf.
    There's no elves, although maybe that's what the Others are.
    There were dragons... and will be again.

    It's also the most groundbreaking fantasy literature since Lord of the Rings.

    Start with A GAME OF THRONES by George R. R. Martin.
    Then pick up the rest of the series when you realize I'm right.
    This, this, a thousand times this. The problem with a lot of fantasy and sci-fi is that it's written by people who are great thinkers and imaginers, but not such good writers. The worlds are amazing, but the characters are thin and the writing is clunky. Larry Niven comes to mind, as does Anne McCaffrey. Martin is the antidote - an experienced and successful TV and film scriptwriter who turned his hand to fantasy. So what you get with Martin is not only an incredible setting, but believable characters, outstanding pacing (hard to pull off in such lengthy books), and authentic-sounding dialogue.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

    find me at Goodreads

  6. #6
    Stegodon Campionaki's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St. Joseph, MN
    Posts
    124

    Default

    I started with A Game of Thrones last week, and just finished it. Every spare moment went to reading it; I could hardly take my eyes off the pages! Thank you for that recommendation!

  7. #7
    Elephant Ramses's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Pick up the rest! Immediately! So amazing, all of it.

    And you're prepared for the HBO Game of Thrones show coming this April 14th!

+ Reply to thread

Posting rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts