If yes, why?
If not, why not?
If it depends, on what?
(I'd go into more detail I weren't triple tasking and will say more after work.)
If yes, why?
If not, why not?
If it depends, on what?
(I'd go into more detail I weren't triple tasking and will say more after work.)
"Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)
Generally, yes. Necessarily, no.
In most cases, stories involving child abuse backgrounds (or a character getting raped, for that matter) seem to come from either a voyeuristic place or one of pandering for an easy emotional reaction. If a particular author seems to really delight in repeatedly using rape/abuse backgrounds (or as a fun twist for something for the otherwise strong heroine to "overcome") I usually mentally put that author in the exploitative hack category.
Can it be done well? I think, in theory, anything can be handled well in literature, but it all comes down to how it's handled. The runaway whose dad used to hit him but that's just one part of the larger tapestry of his life and that thread is woven into the whole of it and makes sense as part of the pattern? Sure, that can work. The girl who comes from the upper middle-class family who out of nowhere is one day raped by her step-father and then suddenly becomes a street walker because her shame is too great to ever face her mother again, but then she ends up falling in love with a man thirty years her senior and it's all romantic and stuff? Uh, no.
I think it can be done and done well, without being exploitative. As an example, I'd suggest Jane Lindskold's first novel: Brother to Dragons, Companion to Owls. Was it necessary for the plot? I don't think so. Was it effective within the story? I think that it was.
But I'm with Zuul that it's more often handled poorly. Of course part of that is that I'm a comics reader, so I'm well familiar with the "Girl in a Fridge" trope: where assault on a generally powerless character is used simply as a motivator for the REAL characters.
"Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)
Well you see there was this veil between Phase and Proton...Originally posted by Skald the Brain Cancer Victim
Welcome to Mellophant.
We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.
"Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)