The Indiana fan group Five Year Mission has a song about "This Side of Paradise": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyK-V0TpdSE
Printable View
The Indiana fan group Five Year Mission has a song about "This Side of Paradise": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyK-V0TpdSE
Perspective is a wonderful thing... :p
OK that was pretty funny. Although I think it means Graham is a slime devil. :( Maybe somebody will work this line while we're on OC3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdmqn9JIuzc
Wait. Is Collins the thug or the slime devil? ;)
I just want dibs on Richard Pryor :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH8_FWPUA_I
Of course, after Henry Waite, T'Var's definition of a suitable mate has changed a great deal. <G>
As mentioned in her bio, a mate would not have to be Vulcan. She would also consider what sort of father this male would be. This is very important as she comes from a loving family and admires/respects her father very much.
Hey! Are you implying Graham can't be a good father? :mad:
Granted he isn't a good father at the moment (er, so OK like for the past 10 years if you want to be a stickler about it, with the whole guilt-driven, self-destructive estrangement thing :()... but that doesn't mean he doesn't have it in him (...well, or not, time will tell...)
Heh. I think I may like Graham more than general_urko actually does.
Sorry, general_urko, I don't know where I got the idea that Graham isn't a great dad! It's not like he's been mentioning it or anything. :D Actually I think that's yet another reason T'Var is a good match, despite my joke above. Someone who's rational, kind and a good judge of character--erm, Waite aside--is just the ticket to soothe a wounded psyche and/or heart. :)
BTW seriously, EH, anyrose and g_u, my last post did include a nudge. Kylah made a suggestion to keep Fastolfe's knife in a safety deposit box (or whatever the equivalent is in hotels). It just kinda hung out there but it seems highly reasonable to me!
Also, I forgoet, EH: is there a Starfleet military presence around the planet and I just missed it?
Happy now? ;)
Blissed out, baby! :D My continuity OCD was itching me and I knew there was some topic that we'd left hanging recently.
There is no ongoing Starfleet presence at OC3 other than the research station.
Listen, Collins has made so many errors on this and the last mission, I'd be surprised if she wasn't bounced back to Specialist.
(btw - EH, I'm only kidding. Please don't demote me.) :D
Such a setup for a GM:
"Your communicator chirps, you're demoted. Also, too, a zombie."
It occurred to me that Graham might insist he'd only release Fastolfe's knife "from his cold dead hand," but that was too much of a provocation:
"The air conditioning suddenly comes on and you feel very chilly. Also, too, you die."
Granted these examples are far too obvious and un-subtle for our GM. We have too anticipate something more fiendish, like Collins being demoted later for allowing Graham to turn into a knife-wielding zombie...;)
Hmm. Is the landing party anywhere near a mountainside?: http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp05032002.shtml
No, not on my favorites bar. But I've seen it before, and it wasn't hard to find with Google.
Ah but we're now assuming she's a xenophobe, right? So she could've snarked, "Uh, the humans are handling this just fine, Ensign."
I'm waiting for the light to dawn on Graham... when he finally realizes that Kylah is an ambitious, predatory, power-hungry gold-digger who'll swing both ways if it helps her attain her goals. Thus she's attached herself to a rising Vulcan doctor as well as a Coridanite engineer, then started harassing a poor innocent transporter tech, and is now setting her sights on both an apparently independently wealthy resort dude, and the even more fabulously wealthy fame whore/singer, Lord Fastolfe.
C'mon, hasn't he read any Mickey Spillane or Raymond Chandler? Guy like him oughtta know it's the high class dames with big teary eyes who are up to no good.
Does this mean that Rangin is being played by Peter Lorre instead? Who is this Coridanite engineer anyway?
Good lord, I hope not, otherwise Kylah is wasting her time in a big way! Does Rangin have a thing for Graham? Dang, this romance stuff is getting very convoluted!
Yipe, I didn't want to tell you, but Kylah's been messing around with one of your fellow Coridan refugees...Quote:
Who is this Coridanite engineer anyway?
(Sorry, I meant xenobiologist. I was thinking of Delaney for some reason. Also, it was very early in the morning over here! I shouldn't have been up at that hour.)
Delaney as well...Kylah does get around doesn't she :angel:
Can she help it if everyone wants to board the U.S.S. Kylah?
(Ah, if only my girl knew what Rangin just thought about her! "Impressive lady." She'd be over the moon! Actually, Rangin's just as impressive. I'm certain Kylah would have no clue what Lourdes refers to! Rangin must study lots of ancient miracle cures as a hobby.)
::sits back, feet up on desk, watches fireworks::
I look forward to learning how Rangin's crippling gambling debts led him to sell Federation secrets to the Breen. Or something. He can't be this normal and be part of this crew. :dubious:
Of course, who knows how this would go...his "Luck" isn't published in the set-up thread, and Graham's is none too good...
GU: [with phaser trained on Rangin] You've sold your last secret to our enemies...and flaunted your damned stylish linen suit for the last time, too!
EH: Rangin escapes when a giant pile of rocks falls on you, Graham.
GU: WTF? We're on the ship...
EH: More, heavier rocks fall on you. Also the last thing you hear is Rangin being notified he's won the Interstellar Lottery.
"...and been shortlisted for command of a starship."
I should add that my operating assumption is that T'Var--based on her V'Shar background and (for example) the fact that she seemed to appreciate Graham's entirely justified emphasis on the lack of security :fist:--has a past and/or attitudes that some might find scandalous or disturbing.
This is an assumption--I don't know this for sure...yet...likewise my operating assumption is that Graham might find them eminently sensible...
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture...quotes#slide-4
"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt." —Robert De Niro, Ronin (1998)
It's not so much the lack of security, more the method of mentioning that there is no security, that has irked Rangin :)
We will probably find out Graham is an undercover Klingon with violent tendencies and a need to express himself every so often. :p
Right...in Graham's mind, if you have any question that someone is a "bad guy" he (or she) is. Which is a highly functional attitude to have if you are in a setting where >50% of those around you are "bad guys." But not necessarily as functional in a different context...
Oh, it just got real up in here! ;) :fishbeat: :lol: :dance:
Ha! Oy, just Kylah's luck, she's stuck alone with the two security buddies! Why did all the voices of reason stay behind in the hospital, darn it?
(I don't count Lt. JG "Silent Jim" Delaney; alas, he's unlikely to participate in any discussion since T'Var has apparently sealed up his mouth with a tri-laser nerve connector. :) Which is why I personally can't blame Collins for not being too anxious to follow through on the idea of exploring the resort in teams--it kinda sucks being teamed up with someone so noncommunicative!)
"I heard that you little shit" is the gift that keeps on giving.
I'm sitting at my computer laughing out loud.
It cracked me up, but man, Collins would need a PSI of, like, 25 to have gone that bitchcakes over Kylah's remark. Unless she's so unbelievably loyal that she'd freak out over anyone daring to say Starfleet personnel make mistakes -- or took it as a personal dig!
(Then again, if I had the leadership competency of Neelix, I'd probably take that remark personally too. :p)
Now, now. Don't be dissin' the 'Lix.
Quite so. He was a very snazzy dresser. And his cooking...!
You little shit, Graham thinks, I suggested that in Post #520. :woowoo:
Just kidding about the little shit part, but Graham did suggest it in post 520 dammit :D...but unfair to single out Collins, clearly the spores have a side effect of crapping on Graham :fist:
Vulcans at least seem immune so far...
to be honest, I misread post 520 as Graham wanting the to *sleep* there. When I later reread it, it was too late to change it and I figured Collins is too distracted to realize she made that mistake
Ha!
Well it did look like a better place for a pillow fight than the research station :lol:
Now there's a mental image!
Far be it for me to make suggestions of the good doctor, but since T'Var is either being very tactful or is at a loss for questions, she might ask whether there are any limitations on who is allowed to take treatment? Any medical reasons one might be disqualified? Are there minimum or maximum age limits? (Maximum doesn't seem to be a problem, but I'm just wondering if kids would be allowed here too.)
Sorry if any of these were already asked/answered and I've just forgotten.
Dammit Kylah! :RAEG: Stop steppi... oops - this is the set up thread. my bad. :D:coffee:
I figure it's okay for us to give each other tips, what with Kylah and T'Var apparently being lovers. :D
Well, if she were less wary and more able to laugh at herself, she probably wouldn't have seemed like such an easy target.
I also figured that considering the most notable characteristic that people would've heard about Elasian women involves their alleged intoxicating sexuality, the first Elasian girl these boys met would certainly receive some notice, and not all of it positive.
Heh you're trolling for XP from EH :D
But speaking of trolling for XP she should tell Graham this story, he'll want names so he can use Starfleet records to track the little shits down :mad: :D
Spoken by a guy whose character can't order french fries without angsting about his past.
:)Quote:
French fries, Graham thinks grimly, staring at the tray and the hot, steaming spuds lying there like the dozens of cancer sticks he used to suck down and toss in his metal ashtray after a particularly bad night on the beat. Jane wanted French fries that last night. God forbid I'd've listened to her and picked some up on my way home from the dive I was getting sloshed in. Instead I left her to fend for herself. Everyone knows dames can't do that! Damn I was a lousy husband then and I'm a lousy orderer now.
He suddenly slams his fist into the plate of fries, which mash beneath his meaty hand like the face of that would-be Orion snitch. He lifts his head, eyes glinting and diamond-hard--no, not diamonds, don't think about how I slipped that diamond ring on her finger thinking it'd be forever--and glares at the chinless wonder across from him at the Mess hall.
"D-didn't you want those, sir?" the mess hall helper asks.
"No. No, I don't want them. Give me..." He swallows back his rage, as hard to take as the rotgut whiskey he keeps in a boot back in his quarters. "Anything you got."
"Well... we've got these...."
Graham winces when he follows the kid's gesture. Well, what the hell. Dignity's a hard thing to maintain when you're hard-bitten enough so that everything's a reminder of some tragic mistake. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, he thinks hard-bittenly. "Fine," he says through gritted teeth. "Tator tots it is."
Actually I'd imagine Kylah's getting maxed out on role-playing XP. Perhaps when she and Graham start trusting each other (assuming they ever do) they'll have some bonding revelations like that. It'd be a fascinating murder case, actually: suddenly a bunch of Starfleet ensigns, all from the same graduating class, end up dead. The only thing in common? They all shared a class with Kylah. She ends up getting taken in for questioning and refuses to give Graham up, knowing he killed 'em for her. Touching, really.
O.M.G.
This is freakin' hilarious.
Although this sentence "Dignity's a hard thing to maintain when you're hard-bitten enough so that everything's a reminder of some tragic mistake. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do..." is a pretty accurate description of real life on my father's side of the family, so still pretty damn funny but a little less hardy har har...
Here's a little Sunday night Grahamspiration (a gentle soul, who struggles with how to respond to the evil in this world...)
Video sent along in context to give due honor to the deceased:
http://lafiga.firedoglake.com/2013/1...laughlin-dead/
And after the Fastolfe incident we can't neglect this beautiful moment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v325wdgoFH4
Quote:
Graham takes his eyes off his colleagues for a moment, then, out of the corner of his eye, notices Kylah reaching toward a building with her delicate, bare hand. No! Splinters! he thinks, but before he can warn her, he realizes he's too late. Again. Dammit, he can see the moment from almost twenty years as if it were yesterday. Elizabeth was playing in a sunny, idyllic field back on Earth, as happy as only a child with unshaken confidence that her parents would never let anything hurt her could be. Graham had let himself be distracted for only a moment, but it was enough for her to brush her tiny finger against a old dry fencepost. Her cry still hunts his dreams, as do her her big, teary eyes as she looked up at him as if to say "Daddy, why did you let the wood hurt me?" Later, Jane had said nothing--but she didn't need to. Graham could imagine what she would have said if she weren't kinder to him than he deserved: if that fence had been an Orion pirate, our daughter would be dead. And he knew she'd have been right.
:bravo:
Man. Does Graham have some issues, or what?
Ha! That's perfect, general. :) Well played
Umm EH, Rangin is asking Dr Halsey. :D
before Collins answers Kylah, where is Delaney? With T'Var and Rangin, or with the rest of us
I'm pretty sure he's with us. Originally T'Var was the only one to stay behind in the hospital, but then Rangin (in a retcon) decided to hang back too.
Whoa Nellie. Before when we were talking about exploring separately, Collins earlier split us up as T'Var/Rangin, Graham/Kylah and herself/Delaney. (And you snickered in here that you did that just to avoid any Rangin/Kylah goo-goo eyes, for which I don't blame you! :D) But, while I certainly don't mind the new teams, and don't care that Collins is yet again looking like a flake --because, y'know, that ship hasn't just sailed but docked on the other side of the ocean -- did you mean to switch these orders?
Yes. Yes I did. :smug: :dance:
(why is there no evil or devil smilie?)
Heh. I've noticed its absence many a time as well.
But Miss Scarlett is in the library with the candlestick. (Naughty minx!)
Me likey!
Sweet, thank you, CIAS!
EH -- it's only late afternoon and people are getting dressed for dinner? Where is this resort, Del Boca Vista, Florida? :devil: <-- trying him out
:devil: :devil: :devil:
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Yeah, Collins ain't about all dat. ;)
^ Heh.
Okay now I'm just confused. (In other shocking news, today is Thursday.)
Collins put Graham and Delaney together, right? And she's with Kylah? So why is Graham hitting Maxime's? Is she reverting to the old pairings now? Surely the guys can go to separate places from the Kylah/Collins team.
No, Graham asked about a gift shop when they first arrived. He has to buy a trinket for his sweetie. ;)
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Bach. I mean, gotcha. Thanks!
As an aside I suppose I should wait for Delaney to show Kylah the connection thingy before posting. I don't want to assume too much, just in case our GM plans on having Delaney get hit on the head by a falling piece of wood in this old house.
Glad you like the new smilie - :devil: - I can see it getting plenty of use.
You wouldn't happen to know someone high up the admin ladder over on the 'Dope? Because that devil smilie would come in handy there, too.
Nope, sorry, and I doubt they would add any new ones either.
But if you do ask one of them, I can give them the gif easily enough. Its one of the better ones tbh.
Given anyrose's post 941 in the game thread, I'm willing to give the plot a bit more of a nudge, if you all would like. The Yorktown landing party has already learned about as much about the resort today, in game time, as will be helpful to them for now.
Oh bummer, so Kylah doesn't get to shop and have a date with a guy who's staying in The Shining room? So much for living vicariously.
As if Collins doesn't have enough to answer for... :fist:
Oh, let Kylah have her date. I want to see Rangin jealous
:D Well if it's not going to further the plot--uh, mission--it's no biggie. I thought the Room 237 was a portent of something, but it was probably just our GM having fun.
OTOH if it is a portent but time still needs to pass, then maybe it can be postponed until whatever's supposed to happen is almost about to happen? I dunno, just vamping. Meanwhile since I'm busy making suggestions, there are things you guys can do during off-hours, using different pairings.
1) Collins and Graham can go harass Fastolfe and see if he's still as big an asshat even with the treatment. In fact he's pretty much a great case study to see how the spores affect someone who's both a putz and violent. How much has he changed?
2) Graham and Rangin can have a heart-to-heart about The Wimmins.
3) Collins and T'Var can have a heart-to-heart about certain medical issues that Collins is having.
4) Rangin and T'Var are both sciency types, so maybe they could go see Fastolfe and note the results in a far more objective way than C&G. Or, better yet, if C&G are busy checking on Fastolfe, it makes sense for T'Var and Rangin to check on Admiral Hardin and Ebling.
5) Graham and T'Var can finally have the heart-to-heart about T'Var's romance with Kylah, which is a conversation that I think all of us want to see.
6) Cannot think of what Collins and Rangin might do together during #5 above. Unless, Graham, T'Var, Collins and Rangin are all at dinner when Graham springs his question about T'Var/Kylah, which is an even funnier prospect.
I dunno, just suggestions here. I think there are a lot of roleplaying interactions between the PCs that can occur that maybe we can all take advantage of -- get some of the relationships mixed up a little and see how people bond, or not, with one another. Of course, if even EH is bored, then move on we shall and must.
Edited to add: Oh, and Delaney can go to bed early or something. Or maybe hook up with Mrs. Hsu and cause a scandal by both being an adulterer and also unethical. It'd be kinda hilarious to have an NPC having this major storyline that's happening almost completely offscreen.
I vote #6
That's funny 'cause I came up with an alternate #6 for C&R -- if C has watched K buy some sexy dress, C -- who, let's face it, has been in a real pissy mood* -- could go to dinner with Rangin and totally deflate the hell out of the poor guy while also sabotaging Kylah. A real twofer for Collins if she's feeling particularly bitchtastic.
* Um... pissier than usual on this mission, that is :devil: Hormones plus drug blowback plus anger about Cooper all make it pretty understandable.
Hey you're the one who gave Graham the lesbian fetish! :)
Hmm. There does not appear to be a consensus for me to move things along more quickly, so we'll keep going as is. I'm mindful of the benefits of good pacing, but I also don't want to hurry anyone unnecessarily, or to cut off lines of inquiry too soon. If, at any point hereafter, on this mission or any other, any player PMs me to ask me to move things along a bit more briskly, and I get several such PMs from different players, I'll take the hint.
That's cool, EH. I'm sure you know best where the game threads need to move so if you do want to push forward and it's important for, well, Reasons, then I'm sure we all trust you to go with your gut. Thou hast been yclept Game Master, not Game Diplomat. :)
OTOH maybe if any of the PCs feel stuck at times, maybe we can ask for ideas from one another? We're all in this together, that should be okay, right? Unless it's not "cricket" to do so. In which case I'm sorry for sticking my big foot into things earlier with the suggestions.
It's habitual for me to come up with tons of permutations for my own kabillion online serial characters and, as a book doctor, to brainstorm with authors who need assistance developing their outlines or existing material. Also I just enjoy thinking of this stuff. But I bet it's intrusive and inappropriate in this context, and I definitely don't want to overstep or inhibit anyone's creativity at all. So, again, sorry about that guys.
It's probably best throwing out ideas if someone asks for possibilities, otherwise you run the risk of coming up with something that someone was thinking about and as a result it can look odd if they go ahead and carry out that action.
Having a large brainstorming imagination can be a bind on occasion.
If for whatever reason it would be unrealistic or awkward for the characters to discuss things, you can always brainstorm here in the setup thread, too.
Going away for the weekend to a place in rural Ohio with spotty Internet service. I'll try to check in.
Safe trip
Have a good weekend, EH!
anyrose, Collins is with Kylah, right? She's at Mazime's as well? Some woman-to-woman conversation is springing to mind...
Yup. and she just threw her 2¢ in.
Cool. And Kylah just threw her size 5 1/2 foot in her mouth, though she wouldn't realize it. :D
Yeah, there might be something to this theory. Plus Kylah's being her sugar momma, what with the jewelry and all. T'Var might be jealous--has Kylah ever given her such trinkets?
Oh sheeyit, that's gonna leave a mark!Quote:
But when it comes to investigation, some of us are honey," she opens her hands towards Kylah, "and some of us are just cops." she puts her hands on her sternum. "Both strategies work, but when we're not in uniform, honey is more appealing, Kylah."
Hey, she called her "Kylah"! What more do you want? :devil:
Collins - Kylah dialogue: :bravo:
While EH is travelling I'll have to come up with some sort of Shakespearean monologue for Graham to recite at Delaney
LOL. Well, it's too bad Collins didn't read Kylah's biography. She's always been a poor physical fighter, but words are her best weapons. So, I'm just sayin'.... Red alert!
(That dinner with the gang should be really interesting.)
Ta da. :devil:
:popcorn:
:suicide:
Man, Kylah is having a really crappy couple of days. And here she thought there was only one sociopath on the ship!
I can't wait until EH gets back and sees this clusterfuck of an interaction.
(Actually, I really can't wait until Collins opens up her package and sees the bracelet in addition to the earrings. Though, knowing her, she'd probably just smirk and think "look what that pathetic motherless shit got me. SUCKER!")
Holy crap
:o
Yum good popcorn
:popcorn:
*hopes Rangin doesn't get caught in the X-fire*
I have to applaud anyrose's ovaries at creating a character like Collins. It takes guts to RP someone like this. Adding the touch that she's amused by how obviously upset Kylah is? That's some cold, cold shit right there. Well played.
I only wish Graham had heard that crack about mommy issues, especially if he knew that Kylah had lost her parents at a young age like Elizabeth. Would his protective mode have kicked in, or since Collins is a woman rather than a man would he have brushed it aside?
CIAS, actually, I'm a bit at a loss as to where Rangin and T'Var are right now. You guys are still back in the hospital? It's too bad we don't have a map of this place, I don't know if you're nearer the lobby or the shop area. Also we don't know what time it is, e.g. if it's time for meeting up in the lobby. I suppose Graham, Ghost!Delaney and Collins would be the first to reconnect?
Most likely I guess things'll have to be put on hold until EH gets back--unless people accidentally meet up.
Goodness! I've never had my ovaries applauded before. I'm speechless.
I first wrote it as "balls" but then I thought nah, why be so male-centric.
Edited to add: Well now I'm really confused. Where are the tears coming from? She was just amused! Is this a drug thing? Hormones? Damn, I cannot get a handle on Jeremi Collins.
:bravo:
I'm back, safe and sound, thanks. Now off to check the game thread....
Have fun! :D :D :D
I'm writing a response, which is a tad difficult because now I can't have Kylah be all teary since Collins has suddenly developed a human emotion. Must be an error with the early version of Noonian Soong's chip.
:: sternly ::
Girls, girls....
Yeah, I figured, but EH put that in there about the bag and the storage lockers, and since he wasn't around to have Vargas or whoever beam Kylah/Collins's stuff up, I wasn't certain if it was kosher for us to have things like that happen without his say-so. Anyway, I think Kylah intended to give Collins the bag, then Collins got all huffy because Kylah said that she wasn't her maidservant (why saying she wasn't Kylah's maid would piss her off, only Collins and her pusher can say), and I think Kylah went off to pay for things or fluff up her hair or whatever. So, point is, Kylah didn't see the beamout, and I suppose out of spite Collins didn't beam up the bag with hers? I don't even know anymore, I'm so upset for my poor wacko girl. And she was so happy about the dress too!
Edited: to make it more clear, as far as I'm concerned, the GM's word is final, so when he posted that Kylah still had her bag, I figured, okay, Kylah still has her bag. So why would she still have her bag? That, I don't know. Either:
1) Vargas answered the communicator when we were offscreen and told the ladies "um, our engineers aren't here to zip around your shopping bags!" so we both still have our stuff, which means Collins could open the jewelry box and discover the bracelet and feel like THE INGRATE SHE TOTALLY IS (or more likely, "ha, sucker"), or
2) For some reason Kylah still has her bag and Collins doesn't. Which means Collins didn't beam up Kylah's bag despite saying she would. Which, y'know, is also in character.
The bag, or ball, is in your court now!
:bravo: :devil:
HA! Now that would be a twist and a half.
Hey EH, new question: I'm all confuzzled, timewise. What time is it, would you estimate (Collins looked out the window and saw twilight--but again, her senses may not be, um, 100% reliable witnesses), and how long do we have until we were supposed to meet in the lobby in an "hour"? Is it indeed getting to be dusk yet? Did Rangin and T'Var get the message from Collins to meet in the lobby along w/Rangin & Delaney?
I just need to get everything sorta gelled in my mind. The party's been split for a little while and we've all been in different time modes.
To cheer her up later he'd bring her a mix tape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWoC9J3qzM
:dance:
Y'know what, CiaS? We need a "Burn!" smilie. Does one exist somewhere in the ether?
Mm. I thought you were going to go with this, a way more moving song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTRQM7J1Dnc
As someone who actually did lose my mom at 19, that year I wound up singing the above spiritual in college chorale. Obviously the director didn't know (it was a large chorus), but I'll tell you it was damn hard getting through that piece.
So anyway, I actually really felt for Kylah there. If someone had shouted what Collins did at me mockingly after mom died, I would've been just as gutted. It was a particularly hurtful comment, though obviously Collins didn't know.
(But anyrose did, you evil character creator you. Which is why I applauded you for being ballsy enough to have Collins be that unthinkingly cruel!)
1. That is the best cover of that song I have yet heard...was not familiar with it. Much obliged.
2. choie you have more bal-- ovaries than me. In those circumstance I would never have gotten through it.
3. anyrose truly has taken the character to a new level...there's unthinking cruelty, but there's also the line about "talking to the captain first." Sneaky!
4. In any event @both that dialogue was awesome...in the traditional sense, which invokes "awesome and terrible." Selfishly it sets up further, truly epochal ways Graham can completely misunderstand both characters...
My pleasure. It took a while to find a good spare version--some of them are a bit too operatic or gospel choir-esque. It says this version was used in Boardwalk Empire, which I haven't seen, but it sounds legit '20s or '30s vintage. That helps the creepiness factor.
That's sweet of you to say, but honestly everything was making me cry at that point, so it was either sing through it or stop singing entirely. (Which I actually did about five years later; I just lost the joy even though I'd planned a career in music.)Quote:
2. choie you have more bal-- ovaries than me. In those circumstance I would never have gotten through it.
It was a brilliant line especially because I think it was extremely revealing about Collins. After getting all upset for about two seconds she reverted to anger and cunning--and deep down she seemed to be aware that there was something to what Kylah had been saying, because why would Collins even think Kylah would talk to the Captain in the first place? There are many things one can say about Kylah's behavior, but she'd remained silent when she thought she was giving Collins a chance to redeem herself. (Though from a line CIAS gave Rangin, it does seem that he gold the Captain what went down. Which frankly makes the command of this mission really hard to swllow, but okay, Singh doesn't have to be the brightest bulb in the box either.)Quote:
3. anyrose truly has taken the character to a new level...there's unthinking cruelty, but there's also the line about "talking to the captain first." Sneaky!
Anyway, my point is, Collins's being afraid that Kylah was going to speak to the Cpaitain seems to me a tacit admission to herself that her behavior is, um, sub-optimal as a leader. There is self-awareness there, a kind of animal instinct beyond whatever weird chemical things are happening in that screwed-up head of hers.
And the sad part is that Kylah still has no intention of informing the captain in the middle of a non-life-or-death mission (as it is now, ahem). So if Collins speaks to the Captain and reports Kylah, she may inadvertently have to reveal exactly what Kylah said, which could screw herself in the end. Unless she outright lies.
As Spock would say, Fascinating.
That's for sure! I have to say, the whole shopping scene went nothing according to our very very basic plan. We knew we wanted things to be somewhat okay, but to end on an awkward note, because we're all looking forward to that dinner with you and T'Var and Rangin (and Silent Bob, aka Delaney). Having a bitchy Collins putting in her two cents about whatever Graham might say to T'Var, or whatever Rangin is hearing, was too delicious to pass up.Quote:
4. In any event @both that dialogue was awesome...in the traditional sense, which invokes "awesome and terrible." Selfishly it sets up further, truly epochal ways Graham can completely misunderstand both characters...
But I thought the whole thing was already set up by Kylah bringing up Cooper inadvertently, and blithely setting Collins's teeth on edge by offering to buy her the earrings. It was all improvised but we both knew generally we were supposed to leave with Collins in a state of snarkiness. Somehow once Collins & Kylah got outside of the store, Collins lines (which I think were meant relatively innocently, albeit condescendingly) really pulled a trigger in Kylah, and because Collins can not bear to be questioned, she lashed out, and then Kylah did, and then Collins ended it with a shot right to Kylah's gut. I can't speak for anyrose but I know I was thoroughly surprised by the whole thing.
It helped that we were both up ridiculously early in the morning too, so we were able to do the scene almost straight through before WES and CIAS came on later in the day. I kept wondering what you guys'd think when you got onto the forum and discovereed, like, 15 new posts in a row. Ditto EH who had no idea of any of this other than the shopping trip and my interest in explaining why Elasian women dress so ridiculously (with Elaan wearing dresses that literally had no sides to them except two tiny little straps holding hings together)..
So, yeah. Y'all are gonna have an interesting dinner conversation, I expect, assuming Kylah's name comes up. And Kylah's not exactly in the happy mood I thought she'd be for her evening with Jan.
Of course now I'm fascinated to know what's gone wrong now that's worrying Mr. & Mrs. Hsu!
All in all it was terrifically fun going from a Pretty Woman rom-com shopping montage (as I called it w/anyrose) to an all-female version of Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe? This is the sort of RPing I've always wanted to do!
So glad you're enjoying it!
Let's say it's now 5pm, just turning to dusk on OC3.
And for those who might enjoy a somewhat more heartwarming mother-and-daughter song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxPnAOMpbqA
I am so enjoying the roleplay in this. I haven't seen it at this level for a long time.
Yes, Rangin did tell the Captain everything in the report, upfront and brutal, although given his medical condition at the time, if no-one else mentioned it, it may be put down to effects of the coma. Personally, I think this mission is Collins' last chance saloon and it looks like she has blown it.
I probably won't add a BURN smilie, because people tend to start looking for creative ways to use it.
I dunno, choie, I think you're overthinking the whole thing. FWIW, Collins is only a tiny bit like me. I would never say such things aloud. Think them, sure. But in 55 years, I've learned to hold me tongue. Probably explains my ulcer. ;)
Collins, however, being only in her 20s, hasn't learned that skill yet.
A Star Trek T-shirt FAIL: http://computergear.stores.yahoo.net...ew-tshirt.html
Is that the same couple who were going to play tennis earlier that Rangin and T'Var got directions from?
No, as I said, this is the same couple seen earlier in the village (game thread post 905):
The village is empty but for an older Nordic-looking couple in pricey leisure wear, who are apparently playing tourist. They nod in a friendly way when they see you.
Moi? Overthink things? Never! What a scurrilous accusation. Anyway it's fun to speculate; I do a lot of character developmental stuff in my regular work so it's easy to run wild with coming up with motivations and so on.
And OMG I should hope Collins is only a tiny bit like you. It's the red hair I bet. But seriously we all think unpleasant thoughts about others now and then, and yeah, it's keeping them to yourself that's the important part. Collins had better learn how to curb her mouth soon considering her career track. She's getting too high in office to get excused for her youth. (It is funny how she calls Kylah "kid" when there's only, what, 2.5 years between them?)
Eh, you know those Nordic types, maybe Rangin thinks they all look alike. :D
EH that t-shirt is embarrassing. Not only for the missing letter, but it's just so... lazy. Slap a name of a ship and a vague outline and that's your crew member t-shirt? No imagination.
Here's a Time article on the story behind the iconic "Earthrise" image (which I like so much I have it on my cellphone, although I just realized in mine, the Earth is slightly lower on the horizon): http://science.time.com/2013/12/24/e...ged-the-world/.
That's beautiful and very moving. Thanks, EH.
Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates it. I hope it's peaceful, healthy, joyous, and full of family and/or friends.
And I trust most of the Jewish folks like me will be partaking of the usual Jewish Christmas feast of Chinese food. :)
(Although tomorrow my family will be getting together to gorge ourselves on Christmas movies and a traditional meal. We totally have Christmas by Proxy disease.)
I even just called to make sure my fave place is open tomorrow. They are :dance: Merry Eggrolls and Spareribs to me!
Merry Christmas to all and may your celebrations be joyous.
Jewish Christmas Feast - Chinese food - someone start a thread and explain it to me. It's not one I know. :iiam:
It's mostly a New York Jewish thing, as I understand it. Some also go to see a movie, a friend in Brooklyn tells me, since they're so uncrowded that day.
Yep! Even though we're heathens :) we still gotta eat, and Chinese restaurants were historically among the few that one can expect to be reliably open on Christmas day.
This was more true in the past (especially here in NY), whereas it's more common these days for employees to spend their holidays working, sigh. But the tradition of Jewish folks + Chinese food remains strong.
CiaS - this pretty much answers the questions
I'm not sure CIAS can watch Hulu in the UK, alas. Well, not automatically. There are ways around the restriction, but he'd know that better than I. :)
On a different note, seriously, am I crazy or are like 99% of the guests humans? Even though I Kylah was wrong about Deschamps being from Earth, he's still human. Between that and the Earth-centric restaurants (except for their token alien fodder joint), I think WR&R isn't doing a great job in selling this place to other races.
[Collins] And your point is? [/Collins] ;) :dance:
Hee. Well, never let it be said that Kylah can't give Rangin what he needs: http://vimeo.com/31226953 (Same video from SNL, and I believe this site is UK-friendly.)
Spent the afternoon wrapping presents and then enjoying a Christmas Eve feast with my wife and sons. At the 9pm service at our church tonight, served as a lector (lay reader) and usher.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government shall be upon His shoulder; and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
I dreamed we (our characters, not our RL selves) were in the conference room with the Captain. Choie - Kylah was played by the actress who plays Bernadette on Big Bang Theory. The guys were played by the current crop of Hollywood's heroes. Marina Sirtis was the Captain.
Merry Christmas, guys! EH, it sounds like you had a lovely and especially meaningful Christmas Eve. In return for your reading (which of course I'm more familiar with via Handel's Messiah, singer that I was), I'll offer a quote that maybe the Yorktown would sing, uh, if religion still exists in their future. "Star of wonder, star of night / Star with royal beauty bright / Westward leading, still proceeding / Guide us to thy Perfect Light."
anyrose, that's hilarious. Not just that you're dreaming about the RPG, which is awesome, but that Kylah is blonde and bustin' out all over, at least in your subconscious! Amusingly, Kylah looks way more like Deanna Troi than Bernadette, so it's funny Sirtis was in there too. Maybe it's the empath thing?
I'm afraid to ask how badly the captain was dressing Kylah and/or Collins down for their behavior!
the dream hadn't gotten that far. I woke up just as Collins asked the Captain for some confidential time
Make that two.
They were amalgams of Clooney, Pitt, Afleck, Remi, and others. No specific faces, just strong, attractive, hero-types
I'm probably giving away my ignorance of pop culture, but who is Remi?
FWIW, right now I'm stuck with Deniro as Graham since it's been said so many times, and I've warmed to the idea of Ed Norton as Rangin. Delaney is, oh, let's say whatsisname who plays Kirk in the new Trek films.
8PM curfew? Really? Between this and the 5PM dinner time I really do feel like I'm in some senior citizen's resort!Quote:
"Collins here" Jeremi responds. "Unless you have a curfew or shut down time, we're going to have dinner here and be back sometime before, but no later than, 20:00."
Oops! EH, please change that to 22:00. kthx
I meant Renner
and Whatsisname is Chris Pine
Chris Pine plays the current Kirk.
As for Ed Norton - you can warm off the idea, thank you very much, it's Paul Henreid.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._publicity.jpg
And yeah, 8pm is just asking for curfew breaking.
OMG I can't beliive you're in the Paul Henreid school too! YES. Casting for the win.
Ah, I've always loved Victor Laszlo. Cry like a baby every time during this scene. The way Ilsa looks at him at 1:47? That's how I'm looking at him too. (And Kylah may have cast that look at Rangin when he spoke up against Collins's order to cuff Porr to his wife--or she would have if it had taken place after the shore-leave d'amour.)
Here's a good comparison to show how much extra work they did to age Henreid so he'd be a paternal, non-romantic figure so we can buy Ilsa not being attracted to him despite being a freakin' war hero, attractive, intelligent, and cunning.
Two pictures from the same year -- 1942, at age 34. First is Now Voyager, second is Casablanca. Notice the lightened/gray-streaked hair and bags under his eyes in the latter?
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or...f3706e72f7.jpg http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or...908bc3a50e.jpg
Now here are a couple of pics from Night Train to Munich, from 1940. Which means he's 32 here as opposed to 34 in Casablanca and Now Voyager. Here he's got a much rawer look than the usual suave persona, and, um, yeah, it works for me. Even if he is playing a Nazi pretending to be a concentration camp victim. Let's think of this as what would happen if Rangin was caught by, I dunno, some of the corrupt people on his planet.
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/or...bfd6c20ffe.jpg
http://www.peoples.ru/art/cinema/act...eid/paul_3.jpg
Of course, to each his own. I'm just happy CIAS's view of his character is the same as how I see Rangin, because it's always fun when tastes mesh.
Kylah is one majorly messed up ball of insecurity, isn't she?
Ya think? :) But c'mon, what Collins said was particularly hurtful considering her history (which Collins doesn't know, at least I assume, unless in-between drug excursions she looks up records of people she hates to see just what she can dig up, so as to find their deepest areas of vulnerability).
Let's look at what we know about the girl. She was sold from her birth parents for the sole purpose of giving her adoptive family a chance at having a Dohlmann for an heir; then, when her mom finally gave birth to a child of her own, Kylah lost her position and was suddenly turned into a second-class citizen in her own family. Plus even before that, her parents resented having purchased 'damaged goods' by having a kid with a weird ability that could be seen as witchcraft. Kylah was told she had to hide that deformity or she'd be at risk of hospitalization, imprisonment or worse. As she told T'Var, her parents brought her to doctors to electrocute/operate on her brain to remove the empathic 'disorder' but it didn't work. They gave up and just told her to keep it a damn secret.
Anyway, then later she was rejected since now that her adopted past was out, she wasn't in line for anything anymore. Her siblings care nothing for her. That's when her uncle/guardian latched onto her and convinced her that the only values she had were her empathic abilities and her looks, both of which he planned on using. And finally her parents died, without her ever resolving any of this angst, and all she had was her creepy guardian who would play up her worst insecurities in order to make sure she'd want to prove her worth to her planet.
Then there's the whole mythology that dogged her in the Academy, what with being the only girl from Elas there -- the rumor that Elasian women are high maintenance snobs who are also sluts/seductresses .
So, yeah, she's defensive and despite having some sense that she's talented (she's obviously highly intelligent and quick on her feet when it comes to investigating things), her superior officer has never given her any acknowledgment for that. Even T'Var, whom she considers a mentor, called her a potential liability. So she is very easily disheartened.
Collins randomly managed to find her "mommy issues" -- which of course she has, having never known her birth mother who, for all Kylah knows, gave her up willingly because of her "deformity," and her adoptive mom rejected her, then died. Collins's insult was only a day after Ferguson told her how unattracted he was to her and basically called her a psycho whore in front of some colleagues including one on this mission. All this is kinda gonna affect a young woman's already shaky self-esteem.
And in other news, EH, I love that you made the groundskeeper female! I totally purposely wrote that groundskeeper conversation gender-neutral even though my (shameful) first instinct was to assume it was a guy. After I was writing "he" and "him" I suddenly realized, "wait, EH doesn't say if it's a male or female, why are you assuming male?" Took some rewriting to avoid using a pronoun. And as it turns out it is a woman! Serendipity!
Collins is, although she'd never admit it, specist. Not phobic so much as distrustful and disliking. She'd have given Kylah the benefit of the doubt had Kylah not gone all hipster on her about the zither when they first met. Collins will rise to any challenge, even if she's the only one who sees it.
And that's a great aspect to her characterization--that she's kinda xenophobic. And OMG all this arises from the zither thing? That is awesome and horrible at the same time.
BTW I see I totally bass-ackwardsed the credits on the Henreid photos, as I'm sure everyone noticed. The first 1942 shot is from Casablanca, the second is Now Voyager. Duh. He looks ten years younger in Now Voyager. Although he rocks both looks IMHO.
well, we've had to make our own conflict since nothing has happened in the game scenario . . . :dance: :devil:
Don't make me get out the giant rocks. Or peevish Hortas.
Hey, when you bring out those rocks, I hope you'll make a note to aim them at the biggest complainers. Some of us have no problem with the lull before the inevitable chaos. Or it might not even be chaos, but a more quiet mystery. 'Tis up to you. Something's gonna happen with this security breach.
I will say that I'm curious to know when this hour is gonna be up. The clock started when Kylah and Collins went to Mazime's, leaving Graham/Delaney behind with Hsu. T'Var/Rangin were still in the hospital.
1) From Kylah and Collins's POV, since the countdown began, they had time for a shopping excursion and girly discussion while Kylah had the dress altered, then left and ended up in the Big Fight, which led to their separating.
- Kylah went off to the lounge alone and had a leisurely conversation with the old dude, and now is walking outside.
- Collins went to sit and sulk, got a call from Graham about a security breach and told him to meet her there, then got in touch with Thalen in order to talk to the Captain, a conversation we're presumably waiting for or she's going to schedule; either way, Thalen is waiting (with bated breath, I'm sure) for her to decide whether she wants to talk now or later.
Meanwhile:
2) Graham/Delaney: watched Kylah/Collins go off, then spoke w/Hsu for a bit before Mr. Hsu showed up and they learned about the security breach. Graham got in touch with Collins. Now he's heading over with Silent Bob to see Collins in the lobby.
3) T'Var/Rangin: were still in the hospital w/Halsey when the call from Collins to "let's meet in the lobby" would have arrived. So they stayed there for a while, then finally left the hospital to walk the grounds and have conversations with two different couples.
So is the hour almost through? Are Graham/Delaney about to meet up with Collins? Is Collins ever going to respond to Thalen? Are T'Var/Rangin headed inside already?
The real question for me is: which comes first, 2014 or Kylah's date?
:bravo:
eta - Collins is waiting for Graham. The message Collins sent said "before the mission debrief" (or it should have done)
um
okay I'll take care of that
I had in my head that T'Var and Rangin were leaving the hospital as the call came in, giving them just under an hour to talk to the people before returning for dinner.
Ooh that's true, in looking it over. Due to staggering time periods, more was shown happening on the Kylah/Collins end in real time before Rangin and T'Var were getting the message and saying goodbye to Halsey. So just as Collins gave the order to Graham/Delaney to call you guys, she and Kylah went off for shopping. Simultaneously (or almost), T'Var/Rangin said goodbye to Halsey and went out looking for guests. So this gives/gave the pair an hour for guest-hunting. You've only spoken to two couples so far; I don't know how much time that would've taken. It's totally up to you, of course--I was just trying to construct some semblence of where we all are and how much time is left until this freakin' meetup.
http://www.sci-fi-london.com/sites/d...1829/lobby.jpg
Yes, some have done more with the hour than others, but it's just about time for everyone to converge in the lobby, I'd say.
Wait! Graham hasn't told Collins about the security snafu yet!
He is moving rather slowly, but she can order him to hurry up. Knowing Collins, she could say something like, "Hey sunshine, what's the problem, is being this slow what caused your wife's death, or are you just drunk like all your fellow kilt-wearing, tight-fisted haggis-eaters? Either way, move your grizzled, half-century-old ass already. And if it's Delaney who's slowing you down, tell Queer-Eye-for-the-Straight-Engineer to stop daydreaming about Fastolfe and get over his mancrush."
You know, play up the strengths of her management style. :devil:
:bravo:
Thank you, thank you very much. I'll be here all night. (As you can tell by my timestamps, this is actually very likely. I never sleep.)
Since there's been so much angst about it, and since we're finally about to meet up, I thought I'd show the dress Kylah is wearing. I'm proud that I found a dress not quite as skanky as the Elasian garb that we saw in Elaan of Troyius, but it's still along the same general, um, theme. (That theme being: "skin.") The model actually looks rather how I envision Kylah -- just picture her shorter and with much curlier hair.
http://resources.shopstyle.com/xim/7...776048f643.jpg
Shocking! ;)
She's a ho. Fo' sho'.
(Thank you, 40 Year Old Virgin)
Scroll down on this page to the third actor/character. A descendant of our Captain?
Ha! Interesting. Although this description annoys me:
Um... except Deep Space Nine, which did all that twenty years ago. Otherwise, yep, totes new territory.Quote:
Renegades will be a departure from previous Treks – delving into the dark side of the human psyche, pushing our heroes to their limits, forcing them to carry out actions that they never would have as Starfleet officers. The rules have changed, and they realize they might be the last hope to save the Federation. Star Trek: Renegades will be action oriented, filled with suspense and espionage; all while exploring new worlds, encountering both familiar and new alien species, and boldly going where no Trek has gone before.
I like the black dress, and the girl wearing it!
Could be a Singh connection, I suppose, anyrose - but it's a common name among Sikhs. There were Singhs on both Kirk's and Picard's Enterprises, both of whom were engineers, as it happens:
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Singh_(Lieutenant))
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sing..._Junior_Grade)
Agreed as to DS9, choie. But there's always more to do and say about ST!
I figured as much. :)
BTW don't forget it's not just you and Collins; Delaney is with you. He's hard to notice, he's such a quiet little thing.
I'm just glad we're finally getting us all together again!
Ooh I love that. I think we've seen that here before--or maybe it was over at the SDMB? So awesome even though I barely recognize anyone.
For the record, however, kindly notice the outfit Elaan is wearing. Now that makes Kylah's dress look like something out of the nuns in The Sound of Music.