29. Ne3
Printable View
29. Ne3
T'Var briefly scans the board, then makes what she considers the next logical move 29...Qd2
Johnson looks at the board, looks at the board some more and then concedes. "I don't think I am going to get out of this one."
He offers a hand of congratulation to Dr T'Var at her victory. "Thank you for the game, I learned a lot from it."
T'Var shakes Johnson's hand. "And thank you," the doctor says. "I am quite impressed by your chess skills."
Lt. Guillaume Vaudreuil says, "Thank you both, that was a fascinating game to watch. Would you each care to offer a post-game analysis?"
"There's not that much to say really, I was outplayed." ,replies Johnson. "I think I spent too long waiting for Qa5 to materialise and cause problems and in the end it never did. The one mistake I can point to was attacking the rook on f4 with 17. g3 which opened up my rook to attack by Black's Bishop. I never really recovered from that. "
T'Var nods. "Perhaps," she says. "Still, I was quite impressed with your gameplay, Mr. Johnson."
The doctor allows herself a brief smile. "You held your own against me -- which does not happen most of the time."
Johnson nods to the Doctor, "Then perhaps, on another day, you would do me the honour of a rematch. However as I have an early shift in a few hours, I need to catch up on some sleep."
He stands up easing out the creases of being hunched over a chess board. "...and if anyone else would like a game tomorrow night, I may be up for it.", before heading towards the exit.
T'Var heads back to Sickbay. She looks forward to more chess games with her crewmates at a future time.
If anyone does want another game of chess Elendil's Heir, perhaps or What Exit?, do say so.
I'll pass, thanks.
Incidentally, I just saw this interesting chess variant proposal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capablanca_chess
While working on routine tasks in Sickbay, T'Var's mind wanders back to her chess game with Johnson. She hopes to play him again at some point. He was a worthy opponent and the doctor found their game most enjoyable and challenging.
Having spent the day making several courses for a hungry crew, followed by practicing making some Romulan dishes, Johnson heads back down to the Rec Room to see if anyone was there to play another game of chess.
T'Var returns to the Rec Room for a cup of Vulcan Spice Tea. She notices Johnson is waiting there.
"Greetings," the doctor says, then takes a sip of tea. "May I offer you a rematch or would you prefer to await another opponent?"
Gorean Chess (Kaissa) is interesting too. Unfortunately the books don't quite set out all the rules, so various people have tried to cobble together something that doesn't contradict the books and fill in enough blanks to make it playable. Thus:
The board is 10 x 10 coloured red and yellow. The pieces are also red and yellow; yellow moves first.
The back rank from Yellow's left runs: Initiate - Builder - Scribe - Tarnsman - Ubara - Ubar - Tarnsman - Scribe - Builder - Initiate
The second rank runs: Physician - Rider of the High Tharlarion - six Spearmen - Rider HT - Physician
On the third rank a Spearman stands on each edge file (only)
Off-board is a Home Stone of each colour. Each player must place his Home Stone on a vacant square of his choice on or before his tenth move.
Moves of the pieces:
Initiate (Gorean religious caste) - As Bishop
Builder (Gorean engineering/technical caste) - As Rook
Scribe (Gorean literate class) - As Bishop with a 7-square limit
Tarnsman (Gorean warrior riding a "tarn", a giant warhawk) - 2 x 3 leaper (cf Knight, a 1 x 2 leaper); in its own half of the board it may make non-capturing moves as a King
Ubar (war leader; in peacetime Gorean city governments are headed by an Administrator) - As Queen
Ubara (war leader's wife) - As Queen with a 6-square limit
Physician (Gorean medical caste) - As Rook with a 3-square limit
Rider of the High Tharlarion (Gorean warrior riding a giant two-legged lizard similar to an iguanodon) - As non-royal King
Spearman - as Pawn, but with an initial move of 1 - 3 squares (other than the edge-file Spearmen, which have only a 1-square move)
Home Stone - as non-capturing King
Spearmen promote at their tenth rank, and only to Rider of the High Tharlarion or Tarnsman (the only other Warrior pieces).
Yes, it is! Who came up with that? Any relation to this?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaissa
Johnson acknowledges Dr T'Var, looking up from the cup of coffee and book (Chess for Dummies) he was reading. "No-one else has been interested, so its time to put pride aside and gain some more experience. I would be quite happy to play again."
He quickly offers a chair to the doctor while setting up the pieces on the board and with a spin of the board he places the White pieces in front of T'Var. "After all, you did play Black last time."
"Whenever you're ready...."
The name of the chess goddess is the only connection. Idiomatically, though, it just translates as "The Game", being the only board game in common use (as well as letting whoever is reading this thread lose at it :D ). The desert tribesmen, though, play something more akin to Chinese checkers from the description.
Forgot to add: it's canon (and not too unbalancing) that a Spearman making its move to the tenth rank can make a diagonal move whether capturing or not.
As to who: it's been a collaborative effort over the years, and some versions differ. Years ago I strenuously argued on a Gorean forum for the Tarnsman's 3 x 2 leap. :D
OK, thanks!
"Let us begin then," T'Var says, and moves 1. Nf3
Lt. Vaudreuil glances at the chrono on the bulkhead. He really does have other things he ought to be doing, but... well, there'd be no harm in watching just one more game, would there? He sits down and looks over the board.
Johnson looks at the board and then back at his opponent. "You know Sir, for a logical race, you still surprise me now and again."
1. ...d5
"That's 'ma'am,' not 'sir,'" the Frenchman murmurs.
T'Var smiles. "You will find that I am full of surprises, Mr. Johnson," she says.
The doctor moves quickly -- 2. c4
"That would be too easy", Johnson mutters under his breath as he moves. 2. ...e6
Feeling a wee bit adventurous, T'Var moves 3. Qc2
3. ...Nf6
4. d4
Johnson ponders the unfamiliar start in front of him.
Finally, he settles on 4. ...b6
5. e3
5. ...Na6
6. a3
Johnson umms and aahs about various moves before settling on 6. ...Bb7
Vaudreuil nods thoughtfully. "Drink for anyone? I'm feeling a little parched."
T'Var looks up from the board briefly. "I would appreciate a beverage as well," she says. "Perhaps something different from what I usually drink."
The doctor pauses a moment. "Perhaps you could suggest something, Lt. Vaudreuil?"
"I was going to have some cold mineral water," he says. "Have you tried that before, Doctor?"
"I do prefer warm beverages," T'Var replies. "However, I am always open to trying new things." She smiles. "A mineral water would be fine, thank you."
The doctor then moves.... 7. cxd5
"And for you, Mr. Johnson?" the French lieutenant asks.
Johnson is muttering something under his breath about "Stupid ponies" and finally moves
7. ...Nb8
He looks back up at the lieutenant and sighs slightly. "A cup of coffee if you please. White, two sugars."
Vaudreuil nods. "Of course." He steps over to the replicator and orders the three drinks.
While T'Var awaits her first taste of mineral water, she moves 8. dxe6.
Onsott looks up from his Replicator Repair and Preventive Maintenance Manual and wonders what in St Reshevsky's name is going on out there. Still, the man who never made an opening blunder never made anything else, and at least the Lieutenant managed not to drop a whole piece, though the loss of a pawn and two tempi is going to hurt. He wonders ruefully why Johnson couldn't have obliged similarly against him. :D
8. ...fxe6
9. Bc4
The French lieutenant brings back the coffee and mineral waters, and quietly sets them beside the players.
Here's more on "St." Reshevsky, incl. a nice picture of him as a kid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Reshevsky
"Thank you," T'Var says. She takes a sip of the mineral water, then another. "An interesting flavor. A bit sour."
The doctor sets the water aside and returns her attention to the chess board as she awaits Johnson's next move.
Johnson takes a sip of the coffee hoping some caffeine will help. 9. ...Bxf3
10. gxf3
10. ...Qd7
T'Var scans the board, then moves 11. Nc3
Johnson considers his options and moves 11. ...c5
12. Qb3
12. ...cxd4
13. Bxe6
14. ...Qe7
Lt. Guillaume Vaudreuil checks the chrono on the bulkhead and sighs a little to himself. He'd love to keep watching, but duty calls. Just five more minutes, he thinks. Or maybe ten. He takes another sip of his mineral water.
T'Var takes the last sip of her mineral water. Perhaps she'll try a flavored water next time.
After looking over the board briefly, she moves 14. Nd5.
14. ...Qd6
15. e4
15. ...Nbd7
16. Bf4
16. ...Ne5
17. Rc1
Johnson looks at the board wondering where he might get any respite from the oncoming attacks. He knows he is missing something, but if he doesn't do something, it may as well be all over.
17. ...Nxd5
T'Var smiles at Johnson. "You are a worthy opponent," she tells him. "I am finding this game quite challenging."
The doctor ponders her next move a moment, then 18. exd5.
"My thanks Doctor, I must admit I am finding it quite the mental workout."
18. ...Nd3+
"Check"
The French lieutenant looks over the board and nods.
Can we see a graphic of the current state of play?
Thanks! Do each of you have boards set up at home?
Yes, I do have a board set up for all my games. It's a great tool for trying out different moves and possible outcomes. :)
19. Qxd3
I have a copy of Chesspad - which also does all the images as well.
19. ...Qxf4
20. Qb5+
Johnson smiles, picks up his king and swings it through d8 before settling it on 20. ...Ke7
21. Qd7+
21. ...Kf6
22. Kf7+
22. Qf7+
So sorry for the typing error -- and thanks to CIAS for pointing it out to me!
22. ...Ke5
23. Qc7+
23. ...Bd6
24. Qxg7+
Johnson looks at the board, nods his head a couple of times and resigns.
"It was only a few moves away regardless of what I did.", he comments offering a hand to Dr T'Var.
Lt. Vaudreuil quietly claps. "It must've been the mineral water," he joked. "Would you each care to give a short analysis of the game?"
T'Var shakes Johnson's hand with a smile. "Well done," she tells him. "Well played."
Vaudreuil's joke about the mineral water goes right over T'Var's head.
The doctor's expression turns serious as she looks over the board and mentally replays the game. After a moment, she says,
"It was quite obvious to me after the first few moves that Mr. Johnson's game had improved significantly. Therefore, I decided to move ahead with more caution than I usually do."
T'Var allows herself a slight sigh. "My attempt at checkmate several times was met with intelligent blockage from my opponent. I had to consider other options at that point."
After a moment, T'Var continues. "I strived to create a strong offensive position on the board -- forcing Johnson to protect his king and focus on little else."
The doctor's smile returns. "Apparently, I succeeded."
Johnson smiles at the doctor's comments. "That doesn't sound like the game we just played. I think I spent most of time reacting to Dr T'var's strong attacking moves, although I did make a few mistakes, which were telling."
He thinks back over it. "On Move 5, I should never have sent that Knight out. I lost valuable setup time to recovering from that. I also wonder if there was a better move 18 than to put the white king in check because from that point on, it was pretty much sealed."
He looks back across, "Another game?"
T'Var smiles and resets the board, placing the white pieces in front of Johnson.
"If no one else is interested in playing a game at this time, I would enjoy another challenge."
The doctor leans forward. "Your move, Mr. Johnson."
"Thank you Doctor." Johnson looks over the board and settles for his usual.
1. e4
T'Var makes this first move because of the interesting variations that may come from it. This is her standard opening move as Black.
1...c5
Vaudreuil says, "This has been fascinating, but I really ought to get back to the Bridge. Best of luck to you both!"
Johnson sticks with 2. Nf3
T'Var smiles at Vaudreuil, then returns her attention to the board.
2...d6
3. d4
3...Nf6
4. Nc3
T'Var briefly scans the board, then moves 4...cxd4.
5. Nxd4. Johnson waits for the riposte.
5...a6
"Looks familiar" mutters Johnson.
6. Be3
T'Var gives Johnson a reassuring smile. "You are doing well," she tells him. "You have excellent position on the board and your moves thus far are sound."
The doctor then moves 6...e5
"Thank you", says Johnson as he looks over the board again.
7. Nb3
7...Be7
8. f3
8...Be6
Johnson considers the board a little further.
9. Qd2
9...O-O
10. g4
10...d5
Looking across the board, Johnson feels perturbed. So far the opening has gone well as could be expected, but he feels his confidence beginning to drain away, looking at Black's pieces arrayed across the board.
He calms himself and spends some time trying to follow each of the probable outcomes of a variety of moves before finally settling on. Most of them seem to work, then only to find a flaw at the last moment and most seem to give some advantage back to Black.
Eventually he decides to take the offer, wondering where it might lead next.
11. exd5
11...Nxd5
Johnson ums and ahhs over his next move, sure that T'Var has already mapped out her next five moves and is just waiting for his mistake.
12. Ne4
"A most interesting move," T'Var says with a slight smile. "I was expecting another."
The doctor then moves 12...Nxe3.
13. Qxe3
13...Bh4+
Johnson wonders if an unexpected move is still a good one.
14. Ng3
T'Var scans the board positions, then decides on 14...Qd6.
Johnson nods and moves again.
15. Bd3
T'Var frowns slightly. This was not the move she was expecting. Then again, chess is a game of adjustments.
The doctor revises her earlier plan of action and moves 15...Nd7.
Johnson wonders what must be going through a Vulcan's mind to produce such a reaction. He smiles and castles Queenside.
16. 0-0-0
Current position of the board.
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...pscfc8559a.gif
16...g6
Johnson takes a deeper breath than usual, too calm his nerves and hoping he hasn't missed something.
17. Bxg6
17...Qe7
18. Bxh7+
T'Var checks her current position on the board, allowing herself a slight sigh.
"Your play has improved significantly, Mr. Johnson," she says. "I am impressed."
The good doctor will take a few more minutes to work out the next best possible move for white....
18...Kxh7
"Thank you, I have a good teacher." responds Johnson.
19. Qe4+
19...Kg8
20. Qxb7
T'Var frowns slightly. Johnson has snatched yet another one of her pawns! How did she not see this potential threat and make a better move?
Perhaps something in that mineral water has dulled my senses she muses to herself.
The good doctor takes a moment to scan the board. She must renew her focus and regain the upper hand.
20...Qg5+
Johnson looks slightly perplexed by the move and then responds.
21. Rd2
21...Rfb8
22. Qc6
22...Qf4
Apologies for the delay - life's been a bit busy
23. Rg1
T'Var ponders several possible moves, then decides on what is hopefully the best one.
23...Bg5
24. Kb1
24...Bxb3
Johnson wonders what T'Var has up her sleeve...
25. Rxd7
25...Ba4
"Yeah, I fell for that one alright," mutters Johnson, wondering how he missed it.
26. Qd5
Dr. T'Var allows herself a brief smile, then makes the obvious move.
26...Bxd7
27. Qxd7
27...Rxb2+
Johnson looks at the board. There is no way that T'var has done that unless there is a guaranteed mate at the end of it.
28. Ka1
28...Qc4
Johnson looks again at the board and see the guaranteed mate at the end of it.
With a sigh, he reaches forward and topples his King over before offering his hand in resignation.
T'Var shakes Johnson's hand with a smile.
"Your chess skills continue to improve with each game," she tells him. "There were times during our game in which I was completely caught off guard and had to adjust my plans accordingly."
T'Var's smile widens. "Well done, indeed."
"Thank you, Dr T'var. I'm still obviously nowhere near your level, but one day, I hope to at least get a draw from you. " he says, shaking Dr T'var's hand. "I'm certainly trying not to rush into situations any more. Perhaps, as you won, you could tell me what I did wrong, where did it fall down and what I could do to improve further....other than playing another game of chess with you."
"I expect you to win a game from me in the very near future," T'Var tells Johnson. "Your skills have improved greatly in a very short period of time."
T'Var looks at the final board positions for a moment. "The only advice I can give you is to try and capture, then maintain, control of the center. You must also ask yourself two questions before making any move."
The doctor points to the current positions of her queen, rook and bishop. "Why did my opponent make that specific move and which move can I make to better my position on the board."
T'Var gives Johnson a reassuring smile. "Position is everything in chess. Gain and command the best positions and you give yourself a good chance to win the game."
The doctor clears the board of the black pieces. "I would be happy to play another game if you'd like. You may choose white or black."
"I think you're underestimating your own chess skills, but thank you for the advice I'll try to keep it in mind. Another game would be fine, time for me to practice with black."
Johnson helps to set up the board before waiting for T'Var's first move.
"And thank you for the compliment, Mr. Johnson."
T'Var then makes her opening move....
1. c4
Johnson looks down at the board and the studying he had done on perhaps a Knight opening or a central pawn, go blithely out the of the window. Perhaps he should have chosen white and practiced against the Sicilian again. No matter - its all good practice, though it might be a shorter match than he hoped for.
1. ...c5
2. Nf3
2. ...Nf6
3. Nc3
3. ...e6
4. g3
4. ...b6
T'Var considers two possible moves, then decides on:
5. e4
5. ...Bb7
6. Qe2
Johnson ponders a few options before settling on
6. ...d6
7. d4
Johnson tries to work out what T'var has planned before accepting.
7. ...cxd4
Dr. T'Var responds with a capture of her own.
8. Nxd4
Followed by Johnson's move.
8. ...Nc6
9. Nf3
9. ...Be7
10. Bg2
Johnson nods over the current position before switching king and rook around.
10. ...0-0
11. 0-0
Johnson ponders his next move for a little while and then decides.
11. ...d5
T'Var scans the board as she decides upon her next move....
12. Rd1
Johnson returns the favour.
12. ...Ba6
13. e x d5
13. ...exd5
14. b3
14. ...Bb4
15. Bd2
15. ...Re8
16. Qf1
Johnson look carefully at the board. He thinks he's ahead, but any misstep would allow Dr T'var to take control of the game again.
Two moves look promising, but eventually he settles on one of them, wondering if he can make it work.
16. ...dxc4
T'Var scans the board. A plan of action forms in her mind. She smiles slightly.
17. a3
Johnson scans the board. What has he missed, what has he missed? If T'var is smiling, she's found something.
Nervously he moves.
17. ...Qc8
18. axb4
18. ...Nxb4
19. Bh3
19. ...Ng4
20. Re1
Johnson looks at the board. That earlier feeling of not doing so baad, had subsided to a dull knot in the pit of his stomach. T'Var's pieces were all neatly deployed and covering each other, whereas his were all scattered across the board, defended but nowhere near as well.
He hadn't felt this stumped since the last time he had to prepare a three course meal from a set of six random ingredients and someone had substituted in Zilm'kach for apricots as a joke. Strangest tasting dessert he'd ever concocted.
He snaps himself back into looking at the board, running over which pieces to move and eventually decides to see what trap the good Doctor has placed for him.
20. ...Rxe1
21. Nxe1
21. ...h5
T'Var scans the board carefully, then moves....
22. Bg2
22. ...Rb8
23. b x c4
23. ...Bxc4
24. Ne2
24. ...a5
"Endgame coming up," thinks Johnson, "wonder how much longer I can keep this up..."