"For in truth it is life that gives unto life -- while you, who deem yourself a giver, are but a witness."
-- Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet
Printable View
"For in truth it is life that gives unto life -- while you, who deem yourself a giver, are but a witness."
-- Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet
"I have never wished anyone dead, but I have read some obituaries with a great deal of satisfaction."
Clarence Darrow (attributed)
"In consulting with major police departments, I found that while they were fully aware of the New Pistolcraft techniques, they considered them little better than the old FBI method -- too complex to be trained to anyone but a constantly-shooting gun buff."
-- Massad F. Ayoob, StressFire. Gunfighting for Police: Advanced Tactics and Techniques. (1984)
Mr. Incredible: "I should have told you I was fired, I admit it. But I didn't want you to worry."
Elastigirl: "You didn't want me to worry? And now we're running for our lives through some godforsaken jungle?"
The Incredibles
"They were at ease with the process. They, better than many lawyers, knew just how far the cops could go. They were intimately familiar with the legal distinctions between being questioned, booked, or arraigned. They knew about bail hearings and grand juries and indictments."
-- Nicholas Pileggi, *Wiseguy*
Mr. Incredible (grinning): "You keep trying to pick a fight, but I'm still just happy you're alive."
The Incredibles
"Dan, there's an old saying: Behind every successful man, there's a woman. A loving, caring, giving, woman. But you wouldn't know anything about that, Dan, because there's no old saying about what's behind a miserable failure."
-- c'mon, you all know what that's from! *SNL*, Jane Curtin, Dan Akroyd.
Edna: "You come in one hour, darling, I insist, okay? Okay, bye-bye."
The Incredibles
"When I told him that I wasn't aware of the nature of soap-dish poisoning, he enlightened me. Everyone has a soap dish, he said. If you lift up the soap and the part under the soap is dry, you're all right, but if it's gooey, that means you have soap-dish poisoning. I asked him what the poison did to him, and he responded that it turns one's blood to powder, essentially pulverizes the blood; the powder then eats at one's body and energies and reduces one's capacities."
--Robt. K. Ressler and Th. Shachtman, *Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI*
Syndrome: "You, sir, truly are Mr. Incredible. You know, I was right to idolize you! I always knew you were tough, but tricking the probe by hiding under the bones of another super? Oh, man! I'm still geeking out about it!"
The Incredibles
"When it rains the pavement is wet and reflects all existing light sources. We must be careful with strong backlights -- they pick up."
-- J. Alton, *Painting with Light*
Mr. Incredible: "Wait here and stay hidden. I'm going in."
Elastigirl: "While what? I watch helplessly from the sidelines? I don't think so."
Mr. Incredible: "I'm asking you to wait with the kids."
Elastigirl: "And I'm telling you, not a chance. You're my husband, I'm with you - for better or worse."
The Incredibles
"One might think that a reasonable solution would be to just load the pistol with fresh ammunition and leave it loaded to ensure that the tips do not get damaged, but the pistol's lubricant could affect the primers if this is done."
-- Dave Lauck, *The Tactical 1911* (1998)
Elastigirl: "This is the right hangar, but I don't see any jets."
Mr. Incredible: "A jet's not fast enough."
Elastigirl: "What's faster than a jet?"
Dash: "Hey, how about a rocket?"
The Incredibles
"No one was more vulnerable in this area than the youngest instructor of the team: me"
-- J Douglas, M Olshaker, The Killer Across the Table
Helen: "He put a tack on the teacher's chair. During class."
Dash: "Nobody saw me. You could barely see it on the tape."
Bob: "They caught you on tape and you still got away with it? Whoa! You must have been booking! How fast do you think you were going?"
Helen: "Bob, we are not encouraging this!"
The Incredibles
"The absence of a rape kit helped us profile a killer who was not organized."
-- Bob Ressler with Tom Shachtman, Whoever Fights Monsters
Gilbert Huph: "Your customers make me unhappy."
Bob: "Why? Have you gotten complaints?"
Gilbert Huph: "Complaints I can handle. What I can't handle is your customers' inexplicable knowledge of Insuricare's inner workings. They're experts! Experts, Bob! Exploiting every loophole! Dodging every obstacle! They're penetrating the bureaucracy!"
The Incredibles
"A friend did ask [my] mother whether I should be sitting there, aged eight, chain-smoking Player's No. 6. But she didn't want to seem censorious or cross."
-- Jools Holland, *Barefaced Lies and Boogie-Woogie Boasts* (2007)
Frozone: "Superladies? They're always trying to tell you their secret identity... think it'll strengthen the relationship or something like that. I say, 'Girl, I don't wanna know about your mild-mannered alter ego or anything like that. I mean, you tell me you're, uh... S-Super, Mega, Ultra Lightning Babe, that's all right with me. I'm good... I'm good.'"
The Incredibles
"Straight pool break shots...are typically played with at a range from medium hard to extremely hard.... To master the game, you must be accomplished across the entire Spectrum of Speed [sic]."
-- Phil Capelle, Break Shot Patterns: How to Close 14.1 Racks Like a Pro
Syndrome (holding the infant Jack-Jack): "Shhh. The baby's sleeping. You took away my future. I'm simply returning the favor. Oh, don't worry. I'll be a good mentor: supportive, encouraging... everything you weren't. And in time, who knows? He might make a good sidekick."
The Incredibles
"Max watched the fitting room from the Anne Klein display. He saw a woman who had to be Melanie, a lot of hair and a big can, duck in and come out again, gone, as he concentrated on the fitting room."
— Elm. Leonard, Rum Punch
Bob: "I can't just go smashing through walls! The building's getting weaker by the second, it's going to come down on top of us!"
Lucius: "I wanted to go bowling!"
The Incredibles
Hanks: "You know, it’s not polite to eyeball the law."
Hutch: "Sorry, Officer."
Hanks: "It’s 'Sheriff."
Hutch: "Did I do something wrong?"
Hanks: "I don’t know. Did you?"
Nobody 2
Bob: "You know I'm retired from hero work."
Edna: "As am I, Robert, yet here we are."
The Incredibles
"The reason most rock music critics love Elvis Costello is because most rock music critics look like Elvis Costello."
— David Lee "Diamond Dave" Roth
Kari (the babysitter, in a voicemail): "Hi, this is Kari, sorry for freakin' out but your baby has special needs."
The Incredibles
"I could hear the rabbit moving behind me, munching the grass in his hutch; an immense building rather like Keble College, bounded the lawn."
— Greene, The Lawless Roads
Bob: "E, I just need a patch job. For... sentimental reasons."
Edna (sighs): "Fine. I will also fix the hobo suit."
Bob: "You're the best of the best, E."
Edna (wryly, walking upstairs): "Yes, I know, dahling."
The Incredibles
"'Perhaps it is. I never got your ideas straight. We've always said the poor are blessed and the rich are going to find it hard to get into heaven. Why should we make it hard for the poor man too? Oh, I know we are told to give to the poor, to see they are not hungry *— hunger can make a man do evil just as much as money can. But why should we give the poor power? It's better to let him die in dirt and wake in heaven — so long as we don't push his face in the dirt.'
'I hate your reasons,' the lieutenant said. 'I don't want reasons.'"
— Greene, The Power and the Glory
Mirage: "I've got to warn you. [The Omnidroid is] a learning robot. Every minute you spend fighting it only increases its knowledge of how to beat you."
Mr. Incredible: "Shut it down, do it quickly, don't destroy it."
Mirage: "And don't die."
Mr. Incredible: "Great. Thanks."
The Incredibles
"The door blew shut and we were in the dark: the electric light had apparently failed. The obscurity was hot with the General's resentment. He grunted breathlessly near my shoulder and the businessman said, 'No, señor,' 'Si, señor,' with immense obsequiousess."
— Greene, The Lawless Roads (1939)
Merlin (to the raucous knights of what will become the Round Table): "Stand back! Be silent! Be still! That's it... and look upon this moment. Savor it! Rejoice with great gladness! Great gladness! Remember it always, for you are joined by it. You are one, under the stars. Remember it well, then... this night, this great victory. So that in the years ahead, you can say, 'I was there that night, with Arthur, the King!' For it is the doom of men that they forget...."
Excalibur
"I have never felt inclined to condemn people who look for dirt in literature: looking for dirt, they may find something else."
— Burgess, Re Joyce
Sir Uryenes (hesitates when his recent foe, Arthur, asks to be knighted; briefly tempted to strike him down, he then touches Excalibur to Arthur's shoulder): "In the name of God, St. Michael and St. George, I give you the right to bear arms and the power to mete justice!"
Arthur: "That duty I will solemnly obey, as knight and King."
Merlin (pleased): "I never saw this."
Sir Uryenes: "Rise... King Arthur." (then, deeply moved and kneeling to Arthur) "I am your humble knight, and I swear allegiance to the courage in your veins. So strong it is, its source must be Uther Pendragon. I doubt you no more!"
Excalibur
"[They] got out of Appalachia while the getting was good, and who now pay other, less-smart hillbillies to supervise the work of the braceros, whose natural fitness for stoop labor has been explained by the ubiquitous Senator Murphy: 'They're built low to the ground,' he said, 'so it's easier for them to stoop.'"
— HS Thompson, Hell's Angels
Arthur (after breaking Excalibur on Lancelot's armored chest): "Merlin! What have I done?"
Merlin: "You have broken what could not be broken! Now... hope is broken."
Arthur (in rage, then despair): "My pride broke it. My rage broke it! This excellent knight, who fought with fairness and grace, was meant to win. I used Excalibur to change that verdict. I've lost, for all time, the ancient sword of my fathers, whose power was meant to unite all men... not to serve the vanity of a single man. I am... nothing."
Excalibur
"Nothing is fun when you have to do it — over & over, again & again — or else you'll be evicted, and that gets old."
— HST, The Great Shark Hunt