Revenge of the Mini-Rants
Let them be here. Let them rage.
My pettiness:
So I'm keeping an eye on my little brother Joe--sixteen years old--while my mother is out of the state. He starts college tomorrow, bless his brilliant little heart. I'm going to be taking him to his classes, as the college is about 25 miles away and he doesn't have a car. I had also, out of the kindness of my heart, offered to give a ride to my similarly transportation challenged eighteen year old niece and her boyfriend, a grown ass man of 25.
This afternoon my niece asked me when I was taking my brother tomorrow. I said his first class was at nine in the morning, so I figured we'd leave at around eight to give everybody a chance to find their classes and not panic. She asked if I was going to come home after dropping him off. Seeing as how he'd be there until 2:30 I said, "Duh."
"Our first class doesn't start until noon," my niece says. "Could you drop Joe off, come back, take us down at noon, and then just hang around until 2:30? You'll be using the same amount of gas."
"Uh, yeah, it'd be the same amount of gas, but then I'd be sitting at a college for three hours with nothing to do," I countered.
She tried to convince me I could keep myself entertained on campus. I explained that my entertainment wasn't the issue, being able to work was. I pointed out that she and her boyfriend could sit around on campus for three hours waiting for their class and would have far, far more to do there than I would.
This led to huffing and stomping and declarations that I'm being unfair. :roll:
Re: Revenge of the Mini-Rants
Nice! I know it's the first day and all, but couldn't they use the time to do some reading for their classes or something?!
Re: Revenge of the Mini-Rants
Or, if they didn't want to do anything productive at all, they could hang out at the student center or play on computers or something. It's college, for crying out loud! Go meet people!
Re: Revenge of the Mini-Rants
Well, exactly. It's BS anyway...they just don't want to get up early. :roll:
Re: Revenge of the Mini-Rants
Re: Revenge of the Mini-Rants
Quote:
Originally posted by OtakuLoki
I'm playing this loudly as a wake up call for my niece. Thanks!
Re: Revenge of the Mini-Rants
Zuul, seriously, you are not being petty at all. Grown people should be appreciative when someone does them a favor.
My mini-rant: Children's birthday parties. My daughter is in kindergarten now, and I'm already afraid of the Battle to have the Coolest Birthday Party. She's already been invited to a party, and it's at some "funzone" place or other, pizza, cake, the whole deal...they whole class invited. Now, sure, it's really nice and all, and the kids will love it. But whatever happened to party in the backyard, invite the same # of kids as your age? I want to give the mom the benefit of the doubt, the kid hasn't had a chance to make particular friends yet, so invite everyone! But all I can think of is that now every other mom is going to want to do the same kind of thing. I'm not really interested in my daughter going to, like, 15 birthday parties this year, or throwing that kind of party myself! And if this is what it's like for kindergarteners, what is it going to be like in a few years?! :mad:
Re: Revenge of the Mini-Rants
Sarah, this is what will be happening in a few years:
Quote:
Moshe was a bragger and loved to out-do his friends whenever he could and now it was coming up to the time of his son Isaac’s bar mitzvah. He gave it a lot of thought and then, after studying many brochures and maps, he hit upon a perfect, unique way to celebrate – a safari.
So Moshe went ahead with the detailed arrangements. He started off by hiring a special flight to Africa to accommodate all the invited family and friends. Then he chose a guide and his bearers. He phoned the guide long distance and told him what he wanted.
“I want my entourage to be able to hear jungle chants; I want to be able to shoot some wild animals, on film of course; I need a clearing to be found where my Rabbi can hold the service; and I want my son to be able to recite his prayers in Hebrew whilst standing on the body of an anaesthetised lion.”
“OK,” said the guide, “no problem.”
The guests were ecstatic when they received details of the weekend and all accepted their invite. Come the day of departure, they were all flown to Africa. On arrival, the guide and bearers were waiting for them, together with 30 elephants. Off they went with the guide leading the way and directing the elephants along the narrow trails through the rain forest. But then, just 5hours into the journey, the column of elephants came to a sudden halt and the guide shouted, “There will now be a delay of 2 hours.”
Moshe was angry at this. “Why the delay?” he asked his guide.
“There’s nothing I can do,” said the guide, “there’s another two bar mitzvah safaris ahead of us.”
For my own gripe. I just got done, this weekend, moving my father's stuff out of his assisted living apartment. Between his condition and his absolute, unwavering, pig-headed refusal to push himself with any kind of exercise he's gotten to the point where he cannot live on his own. He's now at a long term care facility, and unless he works more than he has been, likely to stay there. He's also still without a replacement shunt for the one that was taken out when he had meningitis. He has convinced himself that when the shunt is replaced his muscles are magically going to return to strength.
I was muttering, on my way out of the facility, "Cluebats are elder abuse. Cluebats are elder abuse. Cluebats are elder abuse." For the sake of anyone with tender stomachs we won't touch on what the invisible monkey was doing....
Re: Revenge of the Mini-Rants
Oh, god, OtakuLoki. You are striking fear in my heart. (Funny joke, though, I laffed!)
Your situation sucks. The worst thing ever is when a parent won't take care of him or herself they way they need to. I'm sorry. :(