-
Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31726640/ns ... _politics/ (link may not be permanent)
Quote:
Sarah Palin announced Friday she plans to resign as governor of Alaska in a few weeks, saying she will try to "affect positive change" from outside government.
Palin, the Republican vice presidential candidate in 2008, made the announcement at a press conference Friday.
She said the decision has been "in the works" for a while and comes after "prayer and consideration."
She is handing the reins over to Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell, who will be sworn in on July 25. Parnell and most of Palin's cabinet were present at the announcement.
"We know we can affect positive change outside government at this moment in time on another scale and actually make a difference," she said, adding that politics had become a "superficial, wasteful bloodsport."
So, she's stepping down in a nutshell because she feels she could do more good being out of government office. I can hardly say I disagree with that.
My suspicion is that she's simply starting her 2012 presidential run effective *looks at watch* NOW. The real question is, will this backfire? By removing herself from public service, is she also removing herself from the public eye?
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
She has made herself (or has been made) such a joke that I can't imagine she could hope to be president in the next 8 years. It's more likely that Michael Palin will be president.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Watch, job at Fox within the month.
Bet on it.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by msnbc article
"We know we can affect positive change outside government at this moment in time on another scale and actually make a difference," she said, adding that politics had become a "superficial, wasteful bloodsport."
I wonder -- is that from Palin's own written speech, (and if so, did she write it herself) or is it a transcript somebody at MSNBC made of her spoken words? Point being, I wonder if she actually wrote "affect" instead of "effect".
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by Oliveloaf
Watch, job at Fox within the month.
Bet on it.
Maybe her own show. Cookin', runnin', and birthin' with Sarah.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Also,
Now she can publish a book and keep the coin.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Someone called her Caribou Barbie. I like that.
But I don't like her. I expect the Fox job, or a move to a state where she can reside long enough to run for US senate and then resign that senate seat to run for President.
Watch and see.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
My odds:
1. Scandal a'brewin' (2-1)
2. FauxNews offer (3-1)
3. Presidential bid (5-1)
4. $$$ (Even money)
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by Baldwin
Quote:
Originally posted by msnbc article
"We know we can affect positive change outside government at this moment in time on another scale and actually make a difference," she said, adding that politics had become a "superficial, wasteful bloodsport."
I wonder -- is that from Palin's own written speech, (and if so, did she write it herself) or is it a transcript somebody at MSNBC made of her spoken words? Point being, I wonder if she actually wrote "affect" instead of "effect".
Could be either; I didn't notice it when I grabbed the quote, and I didn't hear that part of her speech.
I figure that's one grammatical battle that's all but lost, anyway. That I didn't even notice it is a fairly good indicator, in my mind.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by silenus
My odds:
1. Scandal a'brewin' (2-1)
Really?
This is a woman who so far seems pretty tone-deaf to public opinion and oblivious to potential political land mines; witness her statements regarding Troopergate, the protection from witchcraft, Hilary's "whining," the Gotcha Media, the clothing issue, the Turkey Incident, and the Comedians Won't Stop Insulting My Kids bitchfest that's still going on.
I'm just trying to picture what she would consider a scandal so explosive as to be worth resigning from her elected position.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Maybe the Alaskan Independence Party is getting its wish, the state's going to secede, and Palin wants to run for President of Alaska.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by EthelMercaptan
Quote:
Originally posted by silenus
My odds:
1. Scandal a'brewin' (2-1)
Really?
This is a woman who so far seems pretty tone-deaf to public opinion and oblivious to potential political land mines; witness her statements regarding Troopergate, the protection from witchcraft, Hilary's "whining," the Gotcha Media, the clothing issue, the Turkey Incident, and the Comedians Won't Stop Insulting My Kids bitchfest that's still going on.
I'm just trying to picture what she would consider a scandal so explosive as to be worth resigning from her elected position.
Money. Misuse of funds, massive corruption, something like that. Or she's just the lightweight we've always thought she was.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Could be, and I guess I wouldn't be surprised if something big is in the pipes at the moment.
I guess I just find it as easily plausible that she really is stupid enough to think this is a good political move.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
something big is in the pipes.
Obligatory Trig joke goes here.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
I couldn't write a more incoherent, rambling free association of patriotic glurge, self-serving generalizations, addlepated pep talk lunacy if I tried --and I have. This one topped any loopy parody of a politican trying to fill up air time without the advantage of having anything at all to say that I ever attempted to include in a satirical short story. It was incomprehensible and reality-free from the git -go. "Our brave troops whose sacrifice we acknowledge on this independence day eve have given so much so that we are free to celebrate Democracy's support for free enterprise, and so by resigning as Governor so that this important job can be performed by our able Liuetenant Governor and also so I can continue speak out for all the little people whose effort s and energy are really waht this country is all about, now, and not get all caught up in petty politics, because I'm better than that, and so are all of us, who could learn something important from the book of Trig, I know I have...." Is there a better definition of verbal diarrhrea? If there is, I'd sure like to hear it. She said nothing --NUH-THING--of substance nor of sense for 17 minutes.
She's lucky she isn't being institutionalized for this vacuous nonsense. Here's a tip: if you hear any talkking head praising anything about this 17 minutes of drivel--the content, the delivery, the timing, ANYthing-- you can write that person off as a paid hack who will defend a steaming pile of moose droppings, 'cuz that's what Palin just dumped on all of us.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
prr,
Tell us how you really feel.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by susan
Quote:
something big is in the pipes.
Obligatory Trig joke goes here.
Speaking of Trig, which she did.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah Palin
Quote:
Um, by the way, sure wish folks could ever, ever understand that we ALL could learn so much from someone like Trig - I know he needs me, but I need him even more... what a child can offer to set priorities RIGHT - that time is precious... the world needs more "Trigs", not fewer.
Does she have any idea how this sounds?
Rebuilding the base, I guess. :eek:
Full transcript.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
1. $$$
2. Ending the pain of a damaged term in office.
3. Seriously over-estimating her chances at national office by buying into the platitudes thrown her way by the Illiterate Hick wing of the Republican base.
Not a choice - all three at once.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Any chance she just found out she has a major health problem? As we say in the biz, her affect is not congruent with her statements.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by prr
She's lucky she isn't being institutionalized for this vacuous nonsense. Here's a tip: if you hear any talkking head praising anything about this 17 minutes of drivel--the content, the delivery, the timing, ANYthing-- you can write that person off as a paid hack who will defend a steaming pile of moose droppings, 'cuz that's what Palin just dumped on all of us.
From CNN.com;
Mary Matalin, Republican Strategist;
"Well, I think it's really brilliant."
Then repeats twice more how brilliant it is. Stupid enough to say how she has a "record of reform and ethics reform". Yeah, Sarah Palin, beset by ethics and corruption charges from every side every day of her administration, poster child of Ethics Reform for the Republican Party. :roll:
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by silenus
1. Scandal a'brewin' (2-1)
maybe the thing about A-Rod and her daughter is true, and that's why she was so sensitive about it!
:tongue:
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Yugh. That transcript reads like an Onion parody of a speech by Miss Teen South Carolina as Governor. Which it kind of was.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
I wish all the best for Palin and for her family. Hopefully I won't see her or them in the news as much.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Palin is a total twat,what I find frightening is that there were enough intellectually challenged people out there to vote her in to office,any office.
And then of course we have Dubya,Lord of the Morons once elected into the position of the most powerful man in the world...............
Did I say frightening?
Terrifying is more like it.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by lust4life
Palin is a total twat,what I find frightening is that there were enough intellectually challenged people out there to vote her in to office,any office.
From what I have heard, she was much different in Alaska before the presidential election. I've heard that she was much more bi-partisan and well-liked by both sides of the aisle.
I have also heard that when she returned from the campaign she really struggled in Alaska because of the strong conservative stance she took, coupled with her derisive/divisive speeches about liberals.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by Guizmeaux
It's more likely that Trig Palin will be president.
Fixed that for you.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Holy cow, that was an insane speech. I could see her being carted away in institutional restraints, still giving that speech.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
I've made whipped cream that had more substance than that speech. The 20 person "crowd" watching was pretty telling regarding how much heads up she gave everyone.
I can't even fathom something so heinous that she would step down for. The woman is completely without an internal clue filter.
Oh, and prr, please, please have many, many children. Great post. I adore you.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by EthelMercaptan
I'm just trying to picture what she would consider a scandal so explosive as to be worth resigning from her elected position.
Ha! Here's one Wonkette-blog-comment theory that's probably not true, but it sure would explain the hasty calling of her frenzied word-salad-tossing resignation presser, the tension that vibrated throughout it, the rapid-fire blinking, and the neck cords like cables on the verge of snapping:
Quote:
Here’s the deal. I’m the anon who posted recently about the various media evidence of Sarah’s “dalliances” - in her early pageant contestant/seeking a journalism job days as well as video evidence of her affair while married to Todd. This was always in the hands of BOTH parties and I couldn’t figure out why it was being kept quiet.
The whispers I’m getting as someone who knows people MUCH more connected to the inner circle of decision makers surrounding everything the Repubnicans do (and no, I’m not fond of them after the stuff I’ve seen) - is that after the Sanford scandal the Repubs are cutting their losses. They worry that the media/sex stuff will come out soon on Sarah if they don’t take her off the playing field for a while, and because she’s such an evangelical/right wing heroine, again it’s going to make them look VERY bad. (Family values party is already taking a major beating.)
Karl Rove has been schooling Sarah quietly all along. Hence teaching her hate speech, how to always attack the other guy, etc. etc. instead of what sane politicians do which is to work for unity, functionality, etc. All the divisiveness that Karl is famous for.
Problem is, Sarah isn’t a very good pupil. She’s too rogue, too nuts to be useful in the political arena anymore. And with various media icebergs about to potentially hit, (she’s been blackmailed about this stuff for a while I’m told, hence the extreme weight loss, etc.) they need her to pull the old “I’m resigning to spend more time with my family” speech (code: I’m resigning before a new scandal destroys my career.)
She’s been promised that if she’s a good girl all that bad media info will magically “go away” (deals being quietly made in the background to make it disappear.) And she will get about two years of schooling and then be allowed to be a talking head at one of the right wing news organizations, possibly radio, possibly TV if she comes along really well and can get over her word salad problem. And she’ll make a helluva lot more money that way, anyway, plus she can rant about the family values stuff she’s so fond of since apparently her “people” are going to be directly responsible for the next coming of Jesus, etc. It’s very useful to have someone like her work as a paid propogandist. She was never really cut out for political office but will reinvent herself as a media talking head and also make up to $25,000 a speech on the speaker’s circuit. That’s what they’ll have her do first - lots of small speaking engagements out of the major cities to get her training, gradually working up to the big venues if she can handle it.
Right now her handlers aren’t sure if she’s up for any of it, but they are making promises to her that if she goes along with their agenda she will resurface and resurrect herself within two years as an important “voice” for that segment of the party that loves the conservative hristian, right wing, point of view.
The interesting thing is this - the Democrats have full knowledge of the media material that is so damaging on her. They’ve been holding onto it for a year or so. I’ve never been sure why they never leaked it. So will they wait until she establishes herself as a conservative Faux family values talking head, give her a year or so, and THEN leak the stuff? Or are the Repugs going to be able to make a deal and get them ot back off? I’m not sure what their strategy is but my intel says that at this point they are not going forward with leaking the material - unfortunately!
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
I really think that woman's addled in the head. When McCain's people came out last week saying they thought she had post-partum depression it all suddenly made a lot more sense.
Either way, I hope the door smacks here where the Good Lord cracked her.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
I've been watching some Fox today, and even on that network there's some consensus that this move was bizarre.
Actually heard some Fox commentator say, "Palin is uneducated, unprepared, and flakey."
Flakey!
That really nails it.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Because of course, "How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it's about country," :roll:
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by Oliveloaf
I've been watching some Fox today, and even on that network there's some consensus that this move was bizarre.
Actually heard some Fox commentator say, "Palin is uneducated, unprepared, and flakey."
Flakey!
That really nails it.
Well, I guess we can assume she isn't stepping down to take a job offer with FOX?
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by Oliveloaf
I've been watching some Fox today, and even on that network there's some consensus that this move was bizarre.
Actually heard some Fox commentator say, "Palin is uneducated, unprepared, and flakey."
Makes me wonder if they got a whiff of scandal, 'cause when it happened they were all "Oooh, could this be the first step in a run for president in 2012?" New info might be causing the change of gears on the spin machine.
In other news, apparently there's been a spike in donations to Palin's PAC. Frankly, I'd wait to see why she resigned before giving her money, if I was so inclined.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
My guess:
Someone on the Democratic side has some embarrassing dirt on Sarah Palin. Someone on the Republican side has comparable dirt on a major Obama administration figure.
During the campaign there was an agreement to let sleeping dogs lie, so to speak. Since it seemed that Sarah was on the national stage for years to come, win or lose, the dirt on her would remain a potent check against the scandal the Republicans were sitting on.
Thus, by essentially taking Palin off the playing field, the Republicans are free to play whatever scandal card they're sitting on, whenever it seems opportune to do so. Unless Iran, NK, or some other belligerent makes some sort of strike that makes Obama's diplomacy-oriented foreign policy look dangerously naive, then the Republicans have to hit him hard before the economy recovers. I think Palin's resignation is their attempt to eliminate the quid that stands in their way of delivering a crippling blow using whatever scandalous quo that the Republicans are still sitting on.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Maybe. Based on who's been badmouthing her, I would be more inclined to think that a Republican has dirt on her.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by SugarPlum
Quote:
Originally posted by Oliveloaf
I've been watching some Fox today, and even on that network there's some consensus that this move was bizarre.
Actually heard some Fox commentator say, "Palin is uneducated, unprepared, and flakey."
Flakey!
That really nails it.
Well, I guess we can assume she isn't stepping down to take a job offer with FOX?
I wouldn't assume that.
Who knows what secrets the Foxians keep from their "talent".
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Who are the people who would pay to see Palin give a speech? I saw a clip of her resignation on the news, and it was the worst delivered and most incoherent piece of public speaking I've ever witnessed in my life. Who are these people?
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by CRSP
Who are these people?
Thick as pig-shit right whingers, who never had an original thought in their miserable blighted lives.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
I heard this morning on Morning Joe (God help me) that O.J. trial parasite and long-time Fox host Greta Van Susteren has not been resigned.
This leaves a key time slot in the network's schedule open...
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
From the Sean Hannity message board:
"Think about it,
all she did was tell people she could help them,
she did nothing wrong,
but the lib media ignored the criminal politicians and beat her down,
if this is not similar to what was done to Christ,
I don't know what is!"
http://forums.hannity.com/showthread.php?t=1541241
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Yup, batshit crazy is Sarah's base.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by CRSP
Who are these people?
Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco Kid
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the New West. You know - morons.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Today Palin claims not to care what impact her resignation has on her future in politics.
Good enough for me.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by Oliveloaf
Today Palin claims not to care what impact her resignation has on her future in politics.
I never thought I'd have anything in common with Sarah Palin except species, gender, and nationality, but there you go.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Quote:
Originally posted by EddyTeddyFreddy
You sure about species?
Well, I'm fairly sure we're both from the same trunk of the evolutionary tree. We all came from primordial slime. After that I don't know.
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Folks of all stripe are chiming in. Even Hitler is upset that she has resigned.
:D
Look, I hold her in high contempt. OTOH, she has a right to conduct her life as she sees fit. ALL private individuals do. What irks me is that it's July 2009 and she's resigning. Has the pool started yet? Can I start a pool? No money changes hands, of course. Just the satisfaction of knowing you called it within, say, 72 hours.
I say Sarah Palin will announce the formation of an Exploratory Committee to review and explore her Presidential Nominee options on October 5, 2009. Give or take 72 hours.
Cartooniverse
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
-
Re: Palin stepping down as Alaska Gov
Apparently I still had a little bit of respect left for John McCain, because I felt it leave when he tried to put a good spin on Palin's resignation -- including denying that running for elective office includes any implicit promise to complete one's term of service.