+ Reply to thread
Page 204 of 204 FirstFirst ... 104 154 194 200 201 202 203 204
Results 10,151 to 10,161 of 10161

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

By all means, if you think it's necessary.

TNP had Japanese food this week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. The opposite. Pretty much exclusively fast food from drive-thru windows. (But no alcohol, so....meh...it kind of evens out in the wash!)

TNP has a favorite national/widespread chain fast food restaurant, and, if so, will name it. If not, explain why. In 300 words or less. Or more.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, my secret fast-food passion is Arby's. (Don't you judge me!). Back when I was a kid there was an Arby's in the nearest big city to which my sisters and I would very occasionally be taken by my parents, and eating there was a special treat. I still like it.

TNP has read a Western in the past two months.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Ummmmm....I'm going to say "No." Not actually sure I've ever read a Western....though one of my favorite genres in moving pictures for sure. Unless you want to count something like On the Road or Chateaubriand's Mémoires d'Outre-Tombe (which is, actually, kind of a proto-Western...in a way...it's got rattlesnakes biting horses and Iroquois and all that!).

No, I revise that to a hard no, not ever. Unless one gets into Fenimore Cooper....I think I was supposed to read one of his in a grad seminar, but I was busy, you know, doing stuff like research and writing...or, you know, like Kafka, "Wunsch, Indianer zu werden."

But my memory is not the best. Good enough for two months, though. Mostly. Definitely not in last two months. Definitely not....pretty sure.

TNP wishes very much that some people at, say, work, could just can the balloon juice about 95% of the time. IOW, TNP can be pretty irritated by people who have some kind of compulsion to fill up every silence with chatter, especially as it concerns their own lives, about which one is not at all interested. For example.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, now and then. Fortunately, none of the people I regularly work with are chatterboxes.

Some great Westerns to consider: True Grit by Charles Portis (a callow but determined young woman tries to find the man who killed her father), Appaloosa by Robert B. Parker (two gunmen are hired to pacify a wild town) and Inland by Tea Obreht (a wrangler for the U.S. Camel Corps and a tough-as-nails frontier mom are brought together by circumstances beyond their control).

TNP will poke around on Amazon a little to learn more about at least one of those books.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I might. I know about *True Grit*....it has its followers....but somehow I imagine most of them read in my inner ear to take their teeth out in order to do a reading for Mr. Ford, as in a Walter Brennan kind of thing. Meh, I should probably read some Louis L'Amour, or *Lonesome Dove*, you know, one of those. *Appaloosa* made a fine movie, which I believe I first heard about here. *Inland* sound intriguing.

I must say, though, I'm getting back to roots and reinvestigating some (post)-modernist (no later than, say, then 1970s), modernist, and symbolist or even romantic novels. As well as memorizing random bits in foreign tongues I'd forgot, like the Symbolum Apostolorum [the shorter creed, licit for use during Lent and Easter, as well as when praying the rosary] and the Mallarmé *Plusieurs sonnets*.

TNP keeps track of which drugs one takes each day, how much, and at what time, in a notebook. Need not be heavy drugs....benadryl, ibuprofen, Chantix, alcohol, &c.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I don't. I rarely take any drugs at all, and when I do by prescription, I just take them as directed, and don't really need to keep track.

I've now finished Inland and very strongly recommend it. Probably the best book I've read so far this year.

TNP would like to go to Arizona this spring.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Not unless they build a giant canopy over the entire state to block out the sunlight!

[tks for tip about *Inland*....that's a strong recommendation, so it will be amusing to check it out]

TNP can't really decide which pair of sunglasses (bonus points for prescription shades!) is his or her "Number One," taking after the convention some guitarists use when referring to their favored guitar.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I have two, I'd say: a rugged, matte-black pair of Ironman sunglasses for everyday use including driving, and a tortoise pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarers for fancier occasions. If I had to choose, I'd go with the Wayfarers.

When I was a lifeguard and boating instructor at Scout camp back in the early Eighties, I had a prescription pair of mirrored aviator sunglasses, but haven't since then.

TNP has seen snow outside in the past three days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. There's still a bit of snow up around here, but over the past two days, day-and-a-half, I'd say, it's rapidly become a victim of the sunlight and warmer temperatures. Three days? Yeah, for sure, little bit here and there.

TNP thinks it will be completely futile to try to "chase" the upcoming total solar eclipse, for reasons of likely overcast weather, or not being near the arc of totality, or general whatever reasons. Maybe next time!

Registered
    Sep 2009

In many places, yes. Fortunately, I won't have to chase it, because we're right in the path of it. I'm just hoping for clear weather that day: https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/fu...24/where-when/

TNP already has effective and safe eye-protective glasses to watch the total solar eclipse on April 8.

+ Reply to thread