+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Songs you absolutely hate.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Songs you absolutely hate.

These are all songs I'm subjected to at work, and since it was a quiet night tonight, I was inspired to start this thread.

Right now I'm pretty sick of Augustana's , where the singer says that he thinks he'll go to Boston where "no one knows his name". I really can't decide which is worse, whether he's deliberately playing on the Cheers theme, or he's completely ignorant of it.

Hoobastanks' fills me with all sorts of :Shake:. All his emotion really sounds to me like the guy just needs to be put out of his misery.

And the lyrics for Stealth Princess's "Freakshow" I just find painfully stupid. Here's the chorus:

"i feel like a reject from a freakshow
    i'm kicking up the white trash from the sidewalk
    i don't want the ocean in my seashell
    i just want a boyfriend with a brain cell"

Why should you do better than he's going to? Also, shut the fuck up.

...that was kind of therapeutic.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

O, dear. My list would be far, far, far, far, far too long.

Pretty much anything sung by Whitney Houston, for a start. Just a start.

But that's from the early Neolithic.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Mar 2009

Current singers I can't stand include Katy Perry and possibly Kei$ha (I've only heard one of her songs, but she has a fucking dollar sign in her name). As for songs that make me want to stab myself in the ears, was written and produced in the bowels of Hell.

Registered
    Feb 2010

There are many songs I dislike but these are so bad that I have to change stations if they come on the radio.

Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be 'appy
    Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
    Men At Work - Down Under
    John Williamson - True Blue

There are more. These are the ones that immediately spring to mind, so probably the ones I hate the most.

Registered
    Feb 2010

Celine Dion: My Heart Will Go On. I really wish your heart would just stop, actually.
    Hell hath no fury, like a woman's scorn for video games.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Anything by Black Eyed Peas. Their songs are so simplistic, so catchy, so lyrically inane, that I go from knowing the song, to (briefly) liking it, to being sick of it, to wanting to gouge my tympanic membranes out, in the first listen. That "tonight's gonna be a good night" song is a perfect example.

Oh, and this goes for anything off of Fergie's solo album, times ten.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, let me second the votes that Katy Perry has gotten. Jill Soluble did a song of that title that was catchy and clever, Perry's was just pap.

What really annoys me are songs by artists that I like that just get under my skin in a bad way.

Christine Lavin does a number of songs of this nature, usually with off-handed hagiographic comments about JFK.

Similarly, her friend and sometime collaborator, Megon McDonough, does a song titled Oh Great Spirit which raises my hackles and gets characterized in my mind as, "Another bit of damned Noble Savage bullshit."

Registered
    Feb 2010

Also, Paparazzi by Lady Ga Ga. I say this song, because it gets stuck in my head so easily, and I'm right on the verge of actually liking it. Considering what that means, I have to hate it.

OH, and ANYTHING by Nickelback.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hell, yes, Nickelback. Their songs are what is played as torture in hell.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Registered
    Mar 2009

In order for something to count in this category it needs to be considered music. Thus Nickelback is ineligible.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Any formulaic pap. I hate any music by numbers performed by minimally talented clothes-horses.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

1. Anything by Abba, but double if it’s the song Fernando. That is the worst song ever written.
    2. Tiny Dancer.
    3. Don’t Stop Believin’
    4. Centerfield by John Fogarty.
    5. Santa Claus is Coming to Town, the live one by Bruce Springsteen. Gah.
    6. Bungle in the Jungle by Jethro Tull
    7. Hot Hot Hot by Buster Poindexter
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

All and any Steely Dan.

Thick, pasty, over-produce dreck layered thick with a pretentious lack of irony.

Art rock for the easily amused.

"In the Air Tonight" makes me boot.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    1. Anything by Abba, but double if it’s the song Fernando. That is the worst song ever written.
    2. Tiny Dancer.
    3. Don’t Stop Believin’
    6. Bungle in the Jungle by Jethro Tull
    7. Hot Hot Hot by Buster Poindexter
    I am going to agree with you on every count, but I am not actually offended by any of these.

Well, Don't Stop Believin' bonus sucks, but I can live with other people liking the other tunes on this list.

Tull is wankery at its finest, but it's pretty good wankery. At least Tull had the suds to be completely over the top. That's worth something.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by AndrewRyan View post
    Celine Dion: My Heart Will Go On. I really wish your heart would just stop, actually.
    What makes this song so foul is the number of people who become emotional listening to it. This is programmed schlock at its finest.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

AndrewRyan and I saw Fogerty live at the Houston rodeo two years ago. It's one of the three or four best concerts I've ever been to, and the only thing separating it from complete musical nirvana is that he chose to play that shitty song.

I like me some Bruce, but that song sucks. I really really hate the part where he's speaking in his over-gravelly voice, asking if Clarence has been a good boy this year and if he asked Santa for a new horn. So cheesy, so phony.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    I like me some Bruce, but that song sucks. I really really hate the part where he's speaking in his over-gravelly voice, asking if Clarence has been a good boy this year and if he asked Santa for a new horn. So cheesy, so phony.
    I’ve kind of got a problem with anything where he’s playing with the E Street Band…..because they’re horrible. They just make this odd humming noise, you can see people playing guitars and horns and bass and stuff, but there isn’t any way to discern any individual playing anything specific, just this general noise that emanates from them. Like the song Born to Run for example: If you see that done live there are literally like 23 people on stage playing frantically, and the only thing that sounds like it’s playing is a synth and some bells. You’d think with the 5 dudes playing guitar up there that there would be some guitar tones coming from the band, but nope. Just a low frequency hum.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

^^^^^

I agree, and the sad thing is it's totally intentional. Bruce openly admires the Phil Spector "Wall of Sound," and wanted to emulate it. What seems to have escaped Bruce is that the Ronettes and Chiffons didn't really rock very hard.

Born In The U.S.A. should be one of the greatest albums in rock history on the strength of the songs, and it's practically unlistenable to me, thanks to the horrible 80s production values. All I hear is super loud synthesizer, and snare drum that sounds like it was recorded in an empty airplane hangar.

Bruce needs to start hanging out with Rick Rubin. That's what all old rock stars do when they want to stop sucking.

find me at Goodreads

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Love Story" by Taylor Swift.

I mean, not only is it totally insipid with a pukeworthy ending, but there is also this part of the lyrics, after Juliet has given up hope of the relationship working out:

marry me juliet you’ll never have to be alone
    i love you and thats all I really know
    i talked to your dad you’ll pick out the white dress
    its a love story baby just say yes
    You asked her dad for permission before you asked her? FEMINEST RAGE! :Shake:

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Too many to count, and I'm stuck in the way back machine when it comes to music. I also hate that Springsteen version of Santa Claus. Add to that Sir Paul's Xmas song (I refuse to type the title because then it will be in my head all day).

Hall & Oates--Kiss on My List

Sir Paul and Jacko--Ebony and Ivory and that other one where they are traveling salesmen in a sun drenched olde timey village--puke.

Whatever band sang Carrion something the way I must travel. Or is it CaryAnne? Anyway, I hate, hate, hate that song.

I am still puzzled by how Madonna became a rock star.

Pretty much anything by Celine Deon after Color My World (or was it Colors of My World?). Wailing is not singing--please make a note of that, Ms Mariah Carey. (who is also icky).

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by eleanorigby View post
    Whatever band sang Carrion something the way I must travel. Or is it CaryAnne? Anyway, I hate, hate, hate that song.
    Did you mean this mid-80s classic by any chance?

Last edited by Sarahfeena; 02 Mar 2010 at 05:28 PM.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ya Mo Be There

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Sep 2009

Anything by Dave Matthews. I can't stand any of his songs.

More specifically, Poker Face by Lady Gaga and whatever that horribly repetitive song about having a good night by Black Eyed Peas is called.
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

Registered
    Sep 2009

double post
    Last edited by Revs; 02 Mar 2010 at 03:36 PM.
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sir Paul and Jacko--Ebony and Ivory and that other one where they are traveling salesmen in a sun drenched olde timey village--puke.
    That other one is called Say Say Say and that song is awesome.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That other one is called Say Say Say and that song is awesome.
    I was born in 1978 and this was my first exposure to Paul McCartney. For years he was to me "that white man who sang with Michael Jackson."

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene View post
    I was born in 1978 and this was my first exposure to Paul McCartney. For years he was to me "that white man who sang with Michael Jackson."

Dear god.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I won't argue with your choice of "Ebony and Ivory", but FTR that's Stevie Wonder that Paul's singing with.

The truly bad Paul & Michael Jackson song is "The Girl Is Mine". I have always found that one vaguely creepy.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

Make it go away.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

And that's NOT creepy as hell? Maybe the song doesn't completely suck, but the video ruined the song for all time.

Ok, ok--so it's Kyrie. I always heard it as "carrion lays on the road I must travel" and my thoughts usually turned to crows, raccoons, possums and other road kill/eaters of carrion. I prefer my version.

Damn if it isn't Stevie Wonder--what a fall from grace.

Just for shits and giggles, I'll add "Puppy Love" and "Paper Roses" to the list.

And anything by Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garret. I am dating myself, but those of my generation know what I mean.

Registered
    Mar 2009

A part of me just died.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Kind of the same thing, I'm roughly the same age as Myrna and I knew the Beatles from my parents playing records, but it was a huge disconnect that the doofus in the Michael Jackson video was also in the Beatles.
    Last edited by Cluricaun; 02 Mar 2010 at 05:53 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Stand by R.E.M.

Hell anything by R.E.M.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Kind of the same thing, I'm roughly the same age as Myrna and I knew the Beatles from my parents playing records, but it was a huge disconnect that the doofus in the Michael Jackson video was also in the Beatles.
    I was 10 when the Beatles broke up, so I'm not all that old. But I suppose my childhood was much more colored by the Fab Four's influence.

Anything by Barry Manilow (I like to refer to him as Barely Manenough)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

All Beyonce, but especially that fucking 'put a ring on it' song.

::STABBY::

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    All Beyonce, but especially that fucking 'put a ring on it' song.
    It makes me die a little when my sister says that her fiance "liked it, so he put a ring on it." I comfort myself with the fact that my sister has great taste in music and says such things ironically.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Here's a Shitty Ditty(tm)

Seal: Kiss from a Rose

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

Another oldie but not goodie:

"Coward of the County" by Kenny Rogers. A poor girl gets gang-raped, but that's OK, because it gives her husband the chance to show that he isn't afraid of bar fights.

:Shake:

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    Another oldie but not goodie:

"Coward of the County" by Kenny Rogers. A poor girl gets gang-raped, but that's OK, because it gives her husband the chance to show that he isn't afraid of bar fights.

:Shake:
    Yeah, I never thought of it that way. What a moronic song.

It's all cool at the end because wuss boy gets in a few licks.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Sep 2009

♫Don't stop believin'♫

I fucking hate this song the the fury of a thousand suns. I can never get away from it either. Go to a bar, someone puts it on the jukebox. Go to a club, some jackass thinks its funny to get the DJ to play it. Go to a party, chances are that same jackass from the club is there with a Journey best of. It's overplayed and not that good of a song. We've all heard it before, there is no reason we need to hear it again.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Revs View post
    ♫Don't stop believin'♫
    Yeah, this song was badly overplayed before it was overplayed. :Shake:

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

You guys would hate my play list.

I'm digging Nickleback, I love Steely Dan and I really like Katy Perry, especially this:

They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

I hate anything by Neil Diamond. Ugh.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

My fiancee, whom I love with the power of 10,000 burning suns, has the taste in music of a brain damaged 13 year old. All she listens to when we're in her car is the local 10 Songs On Constant Replay Club Music Clear Channel Shit Fest, so I hereby nominate every single song that I hear on B96. Seriously. Justin Beeber or whatever your name is, I hope weasels eat your face.

Registered
    Feb 2010

I suppose I should bring to light my secret shame. Paramore. I want to hate them so bad, but I....just....can't. And so, I do hate them, for the very reason I can't. Its a conundrum.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

♫Don't stop believin'♫
    YOU CAN HAVE MY JOURNEY'S GREATEST HITS CD WHEN YOU PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!!!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    YOU CAN HAVE MY JOURNEY'S GREATEST HITS CD WHEN YOU PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!!!
    Based on the age of the average Journey fan, I may not have to wait too long.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Based on the age of the average Journey fan, I may not have to wait too long.
    Silly Youth--Old Age and Treachery will win every time.

I like SOME Journey songs. Not all, but some. Like I like SOME Styx songs. I am a child of the late 70s/80s.

Just to torture all of you, "Butterfly Kisses", "Wildfire" and "Don't Worry, Be Happy!"

I am evil.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Nickleback's "Rockstar" drives me nuts, but I don't mind "Photograph".
    Last edited by Papaw; 03 Mar 2010 at 08:18 PM.
    Vintage Wrench Collector Tool Talk
    Photographer My Flickr
    PapawsImages
    Brazoria County Forum

+ Reply to thread