+ Reply to thread

Thread: Selection of the G20

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Selection of the G20

So by what criteria were the G20 countries selected, and who determined the criteria? I mean, some of the countries, such as the USA and China, are pretty much no-brainers (insert punch line here), but when you get down into the 12-20 range they've got to be fairly close.

And wouldn't country #G21 feel kind of dissed? Is, say, Ukraine or Colombia sitting hopefully on the bench, just in case Italy or Mexico sprains an ankle?
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Selection of the G20

I like that analogy. I also like the idea of other countries having to earn their way into the "premier league"!
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Selection of the G20

The G-20 website doesn’t really cop to it, but membership was chosen first by economic power, with a little hand-waving added in to adjust for geographic considerations (South Africa and Argentina) and probable political considerations (Saudia Arabia and excluding Iran).

By GDP rankings in 2007, as calculated by the IMF, the largest individual economic country not individually represented is Spain. Spain is, however, a member of the EU, which rotates a representative country for meetings.
    Switzerland and Norway aren't members of the EU, and they are largest economies not represented. Iran beats both South Africa and Argentina in GDP, and is not invited.

Looking at the map, it's noteworthy that the large swaths of unrepresented land correspond to conflict zones.
    I do not bite my thumb at you, but I bite my thumb.

+ Reply to thread