+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rangers fan dies catching foul ball

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Rangers fan dies catching foul ball

This is just such an awful story.

A 39-year-old firefighter named Shannon Stone was sitting in left field with his young son. They'd safely driven 150 miles from Brownwood to attend the game.

In the top of the second inning, with one out and a 1-1 count, Texas lefthander Derek Holland threw a breaking ball to Conor Jackson of the A's. Jackson dropped down and came around on the pitch, pulling it hard down the left-field line, foul. The ball ricocheted off an empty seat and onto the field, where Josh Hamilton picked it up off the grass. Stone yelled to him for the ball, so that he might give it to his son. Hamilton tossed the ball up into the stands, Stone grabbed it with both hands, and fell over the railing to the concrete below. He died on the way to the hospital.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feat...#ixzz1RY5CFLWr
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

That poor kid. Must be pretty awful for Hamilton, too.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, I can't imagine living with that kind of guilt.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Geez.

I'd seen a brief headline for the story, and assumed it was some drunk diving for a foul ball...I didn't realize it had actually been tossed to him..

Without at all trying to blame the guy, since I've done really stupid stuff myself, I've often wondered what makes adults go so nuts for baseballs. If MLB collected all the balls and sold them for a nickel each, I doubt if they'd have many takers. But give them away at a game, and people will endanger themselves and others.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

There's probably a wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame being added in this guy's name right now.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I just feel sick for that little boy, and for Josh Hamilton, too. He must just be devastated right now.

+ Reply to thread