+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are there calories in spices?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Are there calories in spices?

Do we get any nutrition at all out of pepper, chili powder, paprika et al? Is it a matter of volume or is there nothing there to start with?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Are there calories in spices?

You can get all sorts of great information from the USDA's Nutritional Database.

So, for instance, the calories in one teaspoon of the spices you mentioned are:

black pepper = 5
    chili powder = 8
    paprika = 6

And yes, these spices do provide some measure of nutritional value, but remember that you're not necessarily getting that big a volume of the spices in your food.
    Better is heart than a mighty blade
    For him who shall fiercely fight;
    The brave man well shall fight and win,
    Though dull his blade may be.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Thanks for posting that link, ulfjorr. I've got it bookmarked since it'll figure out calorie count by portion size in grams, and unlike Weight Watchers, it's free!
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I dunno, but I'll give this anecdote;

I'm a packrat. I keep things I should have thrown away a very long time ago. About two months ago I opened a kitchen cabinet and saw a ton of spices that I'd been dragging around for more than 15 years. Figured "I never use them and they're way old, I may as well dump them". Dumped the spices, with the exception of the really strong stuff like the cloves, into two pots with struggling, craggly, almost dead catnip in them.

In less than a week, the catnip was going nuts with growth.

Well, then I dumped some red pepper into the one and it kinda died back a little, but the one with the oregano, sage, parsley and other mild crap in it really took off.
    I reserve the right to be bothered by things that don't faze you,
    and to cheerfully ignore things that bug the shit out of you.
    I am not you.

+ Reply to thread