+ Reply to thread

Thread: Americans: will I be able to get Weetabix for breakfast ?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Default Americans: will I be able to get Weetabix for breakfast ?

I will be holidaying with my family this summer in Orlando, we have been before but this time we are in self catering accommodation. I like Weetabix for breakfast, will I be able to get some and where should I shop for it ?
    I will accept similar alternatives, but not the bite size stuff.

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Americans: will I be able to get Weetabix for breakfast ?

I have only been able to find the "organic" version of Weetabix here in the States and that only sometimes.

I don't think we have anything that is a reasonable facsimile, unfortunately.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

It's a shame, but this wont ruin my holiday. (hijack my own OP) What would you recommend for breakfast ? bearing in mind I like Weetabix and do not want anything too sweet or chocolaty.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Chew Barker
    It's a shame, but this wont ruin my holiday. (hijack my own OP) What would you recommend for breakfast ? bearing in mind I like Weetabix and do not want anything too sweet or chocolaty.
    That's positively un-American, that is. I recommend any one of several hyper-sweetened (with high fructose corn syrup, naturally) under-fortified breakfast cereals containing marshmallows.

Or maybe this?: http://www.postcereals.com/cereals/post_shredded_wheat/

The variants are spoon-sized but the original (yellow box) as far as I can tell consists of larger biscuits.

Banned
    Registered
    Jul 2009

Why don't you bring your own Weetabix?

Registered
    Mar 2009

For what it's worth, the Wegman's supermarket chain in the northeast U.S. carries Weetabix. Wegman's is regional and not in the Orlando area. But, my experience with Wegman's suggests high-end supermarkets in Florida might carry Weetabix. If so, I would expect it to be (like at Wegman's) not in the cereal aisle but rather in a special wacky-foods-that-foreigners-eat section, along with the Aero bars and HP Sauce.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally posted by SBSO
    Why don't you bring your own Weetabix?
    I'm not an addict, if I don't find any Weetabix I'm sure I can cope with muesli or porridge.
    Quote Originally posted by Borborygmi
    high-end supermarkets in Florida might carry Weetabix. ... along with the Aero bars and HP Sauce.
    HP Sauce ! Fantastic!

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

If my grandfather was right (and when it came to food he always was), you'll find Post Shredded Wheat a suitable replacement for your beloved Weetabix. Frosted Mini-Wheats are bite-sized versions with a thin, crunchy, sweet frosting.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph
    The variants are spoon-sized but the original (yellow box) as far as I can tell consists of larger biscuits.
    This is probably the closest you are going to get. However, shredded wheat is much less dense than Weetabix so it's really not the same experience.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Registered
    Feb 2009

I always thought that Weetabix was something that you gave to teething babies. People eat that stuff? Weird.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

We have shredded wheat too, but it tastes like corrugated card...which doesn't taste too nice.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Whiskey and Ryan
    I always thought that Weetabix was something that you gave to teething babies. People eat that stuff? Weird.
    Maybe you're thinking of arrowroot biscuits? Gerber makes some little cookies called arrowroot for teething babies.
    I'm not good at the advice. Can I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

All the Whole Foods around here carry Wheatabix, but we are far from Orlando, so I can't say whether or not they carry it there.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Winco in the Pacific Northwest carries Weetabix. However, in comparing prices with importing the good stuff - Weetbix - it's cheaper to buy the imported good stuff.

Registered
    Mar 2009

When in the South ya gotta eat Grits. It's like a law or sumin'.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Stegodon
    Registered
    May 2009

I wonder if Grape Nuts would be dense enough for you? I like it, it has a sort of nuttiness to it. Good warmed with some milk and honey too.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Borborygmi
    along with the Aero bars and HP Sauce.
    Holy shit, you don't have those?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene
    Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph
    This is probably the closest you are going to get. However, shredded wheat is much less dense than Weetabix so it's really not the same experience.
    So... that hay bale of shredded wheat... people elsewhere eat it, only denser?
    "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
    -- Terry Pratchett

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zsofia
    From what I understand, you break up the hay bale into the milk, and then eat it in bristley spoonfuls.

Makes me wonder if All-Bran might be a more acceptable substitute than Shredded Wheat. Definitely thicker in diameter and denser than Shredded Wheat, and it comes pre-spread, as it were.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

You pour a small bit of milk over it and then gleefully bash it with your spoon until is turns into a sort of mush. If you try this with Shredded Wheat you will end up with soggy sticks. Weetabix is firm enough to begin with that it does not get all gross.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by WhyNot
    From what I understand, you break up the hay bale into the milk, and then eat it in bristley spoonfuls.

After which you presumably wander out to the pasture, mooing as you go...

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

That's probably rusks you are thinking about. I still get a craving for them and have been known to steal a bite off babies, if they've ever brought them out at my mum's.

If you're not going to eat it,give it here, ya brat!
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov
    That's probably rusks you are thinking about. I still get a craving for them and have been known to steal a bite off babies, if they've ever brought them out at my mum's.
    We call them "teething biscuits" here. They come in many shapes and grains.

Huh. That may be the only American "biscuit" that an Englishman would recognize as a "biscuit", and yet y'all don't call them "biscuits", but "rusks". Can't win for losing!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Zwieback?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've seen Weetabix at Publix supermarkets. Haven't tried it because it's a bit pricey, but now I'm curious.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

If you shred your Shredded Wheat, mix it with melted chocolate and press into muffin cases you get the perfect edible nests for your Easter Eggs. Can't do that with Weetabix...
    "We don't need to all lose glitter privileges because one kid makes a sparkly penis on the carpeting." - Excalibur

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I was just grocery shopping today and saw Weetabix at Dominick's, and I thought of this thread.
    Wow, WhyNot, you're brilliant! Especially on Thursdays!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Chew Barker
    I will be holidaying with my family this summer in Orlando, we have been before but this time we are in self catering accommodation. I like Weetabix for breakfast, will I be able to get some and where should I shop for it ?
    I will accept similar alternatives, but not the bite size stuff.
    Isn't part of the point of travel broadening your palatte of experiences, eating included? Time to step up and eat an American breakfast. Hie yourself to the nearest Denny's and order a Mega Grand Slam.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    Isn't part of the point of travel broadening your palatte of experiences, eating included? Time to step up and eat an American breakfast. Hie yourself to the nearest Denny's and order a Mega Grand Slam.
    Just don't make plans for the rest of the day. (Though, if you can handle a full English breakfast, maybe Denny's won't phase you.)

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    They'll be in Florida. They need to try grits.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Most Slams can be ordered with grits instead of hash browns.

Of course, what the OP really needs to do is dine at that pinnacle of American Food Culture:

Waffle House.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Are grits those things that look a bit like yellow prawn crackers ? They had them at our cinema in the early 90's but now they are extinct. I've never tried them, but i take it they go better with a cooked breakfast.
    Folks don't worry im sure one or two days out of the fortnight I'll be able to sample an American breakfast.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Grits are more like polenta. The correct way to approach them is to think of them as a delivery system, like lobster, which only exists to convey clarified butter from bowl to mouth. Grits need to be hit with butter, as much pepper as is legal in that county, crumbled bacon, cheese, and whatever else is handy.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Of course, I only mention grits in the same way that a native Swede would tell a tourist to Sweden that they have to try surströmming. I can't stand the stuff myself...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

As it turns out Post Shredded Wheat n' Bran is my usual breakfast food.

In the interest of research I purchased Weetabix at the supermarket. They were in the regular breakfast food aisle, not the strange foods that foreigners eat aisle. Unfortunately though they only had the organic Weetabix. I live nowhere near Orlando.

I am able to report that the organic Weetabix are almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Post Shredded Wheat n' Bran.

I can't think of any other breakfast cereal I have ever had that are exactly like Weetabix. They are good though and I will probably buy them again, so thanks to Chew Barker for that, and I'll keep my eyes open for the regular Weetabix.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Just as a datapoint, I have in desperation purchased the organic Weetabix before. I don't know why, but there is something off about it.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jayjay
    <snert> Yeah, because Florida is totally the South.
    "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
    -- Terry Pratchett

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jayjay
    <snert> Yeah, because Florida is totally the South.
    Florida is where I was first maliciously lured (by my FATHER...oh, the betrayal!) to try that lumpy wallpaper paste, so I associate them.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Florida's not south? Or not THE south? You guys are confusing me.

And seriously, no HP sauce?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Florida is a special case. It's south, but a lot of people think that at least parts of it aren't The South. I can see their point. South Florida is more Cubans, tourists and retired New York Jews than it is Southern.

HP Sauce can be found in any megamart these days. It isn't a table condiment at any restaurant I know, but you can get an ample supply for home use easily enough.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Huh. That may be the only American "biscuit" that an Englishman would recognize as a "biscuit"
    Doggie biscuits?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Thudlow Boink
    Huh. That may be the only American "biscuit" that an Englishman would recognize as a "biscuit"
    Doggie biscuits?
    Ah, right you are. Although in my house we called them...dog cookies. :wink:

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Americans: do I need to get Weetabix for breakfast ?

No problem finding Weetabix in Madison, Wisconsin. A couple of local Big Grocers as well as Trader Joe's carry it. I buy a lot of it, and when I don't, I buy Grape-Nuts (but plain Shredded Wheat would be close). I came to love Weetabix after visiting your quaint little island, which brings up a question:

Shouldn't a vacation (or, going on holiday) be a break from your ordinary life? A chance to experience another culture? I didn't spend my time in London trying to find Cocoa Krispies. I had baked beans with grilled to-mah-toes for breakfast, and hard, cold toast in a little rack. With 'chips' piled over the eggs and blood sausage. Mmmm...

So, I'd recommend finding a local diner where you can get a good omelette or eggs 'n' hash browns (po-tah-toes or a waffle with fruit and whipped cream (kids'd love that). With lots of fresh-squeezed Florida Orange Juice! Mmmm...

Registered
    Feb 2009

And showing how slow my train of thought can be......It was zwieback that I was thinking of instead of Weetabix when I posted this.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hey, did that guy ever check back in and let us know if he found his Weetabix?

I put the DU in DUMBO. Dangerously Unqualified's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

And did he try the grits?

Or some Waffle House Scattered Smothered and Covered?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Dangerously Unqualified
    And did he try the grits?

Or some Waffle House Scattered Smothered and Covered?

As a side to their pecan waffles??? MMMMMMM... best breakfast EVER.

+ Reply to thread