+ Reply to thread

Thread: Can you Multitask?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Can you Multitask?

Multitasking is one of those wonderful abilities to be able to do several things at once. There are some people who can multitask and there are those who can only concentrate on one thing at a time. Most people can subconciously multitask, you can walk and chew gum at the same time. But conciously, it becomes a different matter.

But the question is, what is multitasking. Should it be literally the ability to do more than one thing at once, or has it come to gernally mean being able to schedule a lot of tasks and handle them all in the same period of time.

Most times I hear people saying they are multitasking, all the are doing is working out the best way to do several bits of work overlapping in the same time period, but they are not actually going to do two of those pieces of work literally at the same time.

So, what does multitasking mean to you and can you do it?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I think your second definition is probably what most people mean, now at least. In that sense, I can multitask two or more intellectual tasks, but I notice when I'm doing any physical exercise my ability to do other tasks diminishes. I can think, and muse but I can't, for example, put credit in my phone while I'm walking, I have to stand still.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, the second definition is how most people use it. Aside from walking and thinking or listening to the TV and folding laundry, I don't do much true multitasking. I might have five tabs open on my browser and a word processor going while I have my headphones on and I'm working, but for the most part even if they're all happening in the same time frame my attention is focused on one thing at a time.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

+ Reply to thread