+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wow, what a morning.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Wow, what a morning.

So, at about 6:00 this morning, I hear Fiona barking softly. Fiona really never barks inside the house, so I went out to correct her and then take her out to pee. As I let her out of her kennel, I hear a disembodied voice muttering. I look around the corner and there's a man standing in my kitchen. Looking pretty homeless in his ragged hoodie and jeans and muttering incoherently. In my kitchen.

Most of what he was saying was just word salad, but he definitely said "I just got out" several times, and "it's cold" once or twice. At this point, artifex was out of the bedroom too and got wide-eyed. I motioned her back into the bedroom silently, adding the universal hand sign that means, "Holy shit, call the cops and tell them there's a dude in our house."

Finally, and about fifteen seconds had passed since I walked out, he seemed to notice me. He looked up from the floor to me and Fiona, whom I was holding with fingers through her collar. Still muttering to himself. I said, "You can't be here." He served up a little more word salad. So I tried again. "You need to leave. Now." At this, he shuffled to the front door, undid the three locks, and let himself out.

Three minutes later, two police cars pulled up. They found him in one of the houses across from ours, and took him someplace warm to sleep.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm just really impressed with your dog in all this. So many dogs I know would have gone crazy with territorial protectiveness and made it impossible to hold them back.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

She wasn't even lunging. Just growling. I think it's partly that he was standing very still and being fairly quiet. If he'd been agitated or loud, she might have been harder to control. As it is, she is The Bestest Dog Of All(TM) and is getting lots of love today.

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

My dog (RIP) was useless when I had an intruder earlier this year, she just seemed to disappear.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

My pup would hide behind me probably though she would protect my daughter from what I can see.

Scary situation OneCentStamp.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

OMG how scary that must have been! Glad everything is OK.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Eeep. How did the guy get in your house?

Registered
    Mar 2009

The only unlocked door was the sliding glass door of the balcony. Since my house is split-level, that balcony is only 5 feet off the ground rather than 10 or so. My 12 year old can scale it easily. Usually that door is locked, but since it's been cold, I probably hadn't been out there since I covered the BBQ grill two weeks ago.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow, that's kinda scary to happen. Glad to hear you are both safe though.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Wow, that's kinda scary to happen. Glad to hear you are both safe though.
    Seconded on all counts. Stay safe, and lock that door from now on!

+ Reply to thread