+ Reply to thread

Thread: Photo manipulation problem...

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Photo manipulation problem...

Picture sizing... ???

I have six different pictures. I want to copy a part of each picture centered on a particular spot and have the pictures be 2" square. The spots are not in the center of the pictures, but all over the place.

I can't pull out or drag out a square by trying to watch the counter of pixels or what ever measurement I'm using and consistently get exactly the size I want much less have the target in the exact center.

Is there a photo program that will let me drag a box of a size I determine and place it in the spot I want to copy so I can have a row of different pictures exactly all the same physical size (say 2 inches) no matter the actual scale of the original pictures I am using?

Do you understand what I am wanting to do?

Know of any (free would be nice) photo program that will do this?

I can't do it in Irfanview, Lview, Gimp, Paint, or any other program I know of. Will Photoshop do it?

Any ideas or information?
    No job is too hard for the person who does not have to do it.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

If you have Windows XP or Vista, the Microsoft viewer also has a print function where you select 6 or 8 pictures and tell the computer to print them all on one sheet of paper and all the same size.

Is this what you are trying to achieve?

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You have pictures that are different sizes and you want to reduce them all to a specific dimension and then position them in a row?

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I think I know what you are needing, Dragon. Try picnik.com, which is an online photo editing service. Their cropping tool will let you crop any part of the picture out (you can center it anywhere on the picture), and it gives you the dimensions as you are adjusting it. Then, you can save the cropped version.

Hope this helps with what you're trying to do.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Can I try to clear up what you're asking for? Is it something like, you have a bunch of pictures of one person, but the photographer was closer in for some and further out for others, so her face was bigger or smaller (in comparison to the frame size) in different pictures?

If that's the case I doubt there's any software that will automatically fix it. Any photo editing software should let you choose what you want and crop out the rest, but I don't think any software can automatically and reliably crop everything to make the same face (or same rock formation, or tree, or building, or whatever) the same size all on its own. That's just too complicated a task for computers to do.

But if you do it carefully you should be able to do that with any normal photo software without any problems.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Seems to me he is just asking if he can have a fixed "crop" size, which he can apply to different areas of different photos...in which case, I haven't got a clue!
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov View post
    Seems to me he is just asking if he can have a fixed "crop" size, which he can apply to different areas of different photos...in which case, I haven't got a clue!
    This !!!!!

And I found that it can be done in Irfanview, which I my favorite, i just had no idea how or anything. Thanks to all who made comments and suggestion which all helped me to ferret out the solution to what I wanted to do.

W00t, Thanks all.........
    No job is too hard for the person who does not have to do it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

HMMM, we never were shown the result!
    Vintage Wrench Collector Tool Talk
    Photographer My Flickr
    PapawsImages
    Brazoria County Forum

Registered
    Feb 2009

I see you've already found a solution, but I'll add another one too.

In Photoshop you can crop to a certain size. Just select the crop tool, up at the top put in the dimensions you want, and crop. After you select the area it'll automatically resize it. And you can always crop to a square by holding down shift as you select.

Sorry I didn't answer earlier.
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.
    www.CuriouslyLydean.net - comics, cocktails, writing, and other odd things.

+ Reply to thread