+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherwoodshire roleplaying

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Sherwoodshire roleplaying

This is the thread for a new roleplaying campaign (‘Sherwoodshire’) and is for players only to post in.
    (Your co-operation is appreciated!)
    The companion thread (for questions, comments etc.) is at:

http://www.mellophant.com/forums/sho...mpanion-thread)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The party assemble for a briefing in the Drannasmor Security Guild. This talk will be given by Lestrade, a senior Scout who has trained the party.
    After the party take their seats, Lestrade (a short, lean, furtive male human) enters and explains that he has just been appointed Head of the newly created Foreign Section. His first action is sending the party on a mission within the nearby County of Sherwoodshire.
    Lestrade then covers several important topics...

Geography + Population

Sherwoodshire is a rural, feudal County. It is owned by Count Percival (an Arthurian Paladin and horse breeder.) Percival’s home (named Versifal’s Keep after Percival’s father) is in the SE of the County.

In the North of Sherwoodshire, there is a ‘neutral area’ called Freeport. The five local ‘powers’ (Sherwoodshire, the Empire, Naugrimshire, Ocean Barbarians and the Druids) each have an Consulate within Freeport. All powers respect the ‘neutral area’ and will not fight within Freeport.
    There are occasional diplomatic meetings in Freeport to resolve disputes.
    Freeport has two sheltered harbours, one run by the Empire and the other by Ocean Barbarians.

The dominant sea race is Lizardmen. They take little interest in land affairs.

There are Pirate Chiefs who raid along the coast. They are bitter enemies of the Ocean Barbarians (and enemies of everyone else!) Each Pirate Chief is rumoured to have both a particular ability and a treasure island in the Empire Ocean.

The Badlands area (W of Sherwoodshire) is mainly occupied by Dragons and Giant Insects.

Religion

As here in Drannasmor, there are only 3 religions in Sherwoodshire:

The Arthurian Tradition (good) believes in Chivalry and fighting Evil. The Holy Symbol is a Round Table.
    The Nimue Way (neutral) cares for plants and animals. They too fight Evil. The Holy Symbol is a Tree.
    The Mordred Cabal (evil) are out for power and riches by any means. The Holy Symbol is Fire

Believers in the Mordred Cabal can be spotted in several ways:

- their Clerics proudly wear the Mordred Cabal symbol
    - Empire Patrols (N.B. In Freeport, it is agreed that there will be no fighting – even between good and evil)
    - their evil behaviour
    - Detect Evil

N.B. Detect Evil also shows just how depraved the subject is. If there is only faint Evil, then the subject may be converted to the Nimue Way (using Charisma, well-expressed morals and a suggested new career etc.)

Clerics of the Arthurian Tradition can turn (or even destroy) Undead using any weapon as a Holy Symbol.

Money and Treasure

The party are given enough money to pay for lodgings, food and replacement equipment (e.g. arrows.)
    Lestrade promises that if the party send back any spare treasure (using Will Stutely’s trade caravan) to the Guild, Lestrade will reply with magic items designed especially for the party to use. (Potions, Scrolls, magic weapons + armour etc.)

Travel

Will Stutely is a reliable ally of the Guild. He is a worshipper of the Arthurian Tradition, who runs a trade caravan between Drannasmor and Versifal’s Keep.
    As mentioned, Will will be the method of communication between the party and Lestrade. (The party can leave messages + money for Will at Versifal’s Keep.)

Will is waiting for the party at the Northern Gate of Drannasmor. The party will guard the caravan all the way to Versifal’s Keep.
    Last edited by glee; 12 May 2022 at 07:31 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Party Mission

Lestrade thanks the party for their patience – however it was vital to first give them a clear idea of where they were going, what local powers exist there and how to keep in touch.

1. Impress the locals with your behaviour, your skills and helpfulness (particularly in fighting the Mordred Cabal.)

2. Find out if there is a Sherwoodshire Thieves Guild and arrange a meeting between the Guild and Lestrade. Lestrade explains he wants to expand the Drannasmor Security Guild into Sherwoodshire.

3. Find a suitable building for a future branch of Drannasmor Security Guild. It should have:

- some defence e.g. stout walls, lockable doors (a moat would be nice!)
    - lodgings for 10-20 people
    - an area to practice combat (a courtyard would be ideal; otherwise some adjacent land)
    - access to water (plus somewhere to grow vegetables and farm animals)

Party teamwork

Lestrade thanks the party for listening and wishes them well.
    He asks if they have any questions for him.

Lestrade reminds them that they can sneak in practically any conditions (using their camouflaged leather, dexterity etc.) – provided only they are not under observation. The party can keep an eye on each other when sneaking and use their Scout Signalling to communicate secretly as well.
    Lestrade comments that any melee attack from a successful sneak is well worth doing.

Finally he strongly recommends the party discuss their local knowledge, skills, spells and matters such as marching order.
    Then they can set off to rendezvous with Will Stutely (at the Northern Gate of Drannasmor.)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Castanea Marron has the nut-brown skin of a seafaring man and a sturdy build that speaks of long honest labour. His slow fisherman's speech does not impress so much with its elegance or brevity as it hints of a mind that considers carefully all that it put before it and reaches the most sagacious decision that his native wits allow. Listening to Lestrade, he nods quietly and murmurs a nearly-silent prayer as he hears of their mission, as a man might who seeks God's blessing on all that he does as naturally as he dons his shoes in the morning.

To his new companions he says: "I am willing to bear a hand at close quarters if we must resort to violence, and if against all hope we should encounter the Dead that Walk I shall adjure them to be on their way and leave us be. The good Lord will uphold me as I tend the hurt, and I have some skill at detecting the deceits and devices of the Tempter. And yourselves?"
    Librarians rule, Oook

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2022

Saradoc walks unobserved into the Drannasmor Security Guild. Then the party become aware that a halfling has joined the group, unseen because you don't usually look for people who stop at waist height. He climbs up onto a chair, seemingly examining the faces of any who look like they might be muttering under their breath. He bears a short bow (everything is short about Saradoc) and he also has a pair of handaxes tucked into his belt. He echoes Castanea Marron's approval of Lestrade's proposed mission. "I, too, am willing to fight if necessary to rid our lands of the blight of the Mordred Cabal." He spits on the floor as though removing a bad taste from his mouth at the mention of the hated name. "I owe it to my benefactor, Thrimgol, Bishop in Nevrast." He then adds, "I have some skills which may help in identifying members of a Sherwood Thieves Guild without arousing suspicion, and I might also be of some service in installing additional facilities into any building we might select for the Security Guild," and he taps a small bag (everything is small about Saradoc) of carpentry tools carried at his side.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The young woman in the party, whose expression is impassive and almost stony, speaks up. "I'm quite good at stealth, and I've a dagger and know how to use it. My sight is keen and alert enough to spot much that is hidden. Or tries to be." Her gaze shifts just for a second to the hobbit on the chair beside her, before flicking back to Lestrade.

"For things hidden behind locks, I have a...knack... for getting past such barriers." Her fingers stretch, seemingly reflexively, before returning to oddly tight fists at her side. "My knowledge is mostly of legend, history and song. Of little use to your purpose, I expect. But I'm fluent in several languages, which may be of more utility."

Other than that, she offers no more information about herself. She certainly doesn't seem likely to make a speech praising a deity or decrying evildoing.

Her appearance gives just as little detail to anyone looking at her. Dark brown hair tied in a braid, eyes even darker, and a young, olive-toned face that might be considered pretty... or might not. Hard to tell, since the left side is partially concealed by a worn cloth bandage, wrapped and hiding the features except her left eye. Her clothes are just as nondescript: they have obviously been mended often, with a patch here and there--albeit skillfully stitched.

At odds with someone who seems to have few possessions, fewer coins to purchase any, and fewer still inclinations to call attention to herself, the fourth finger of her right hand flashes with an expensive-looking ring. It appears to be a bright silver band, at least on the side facing outwards and visible to others.

Though she's fallen silent, she suddenly blinks and for an instant looks less inscrutable--but any emotion she reveals is too brief to identify. "Oh. I forgot. My name is Aislinn."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Lestrade nods approvingly. "I think I have chosen well!
    Now ... any last words of advice for you?
    Well, remember to greet notable folk that you encounter with their correct titles - and let's be careful out there!"
    As a parting gift, let me give you each a suit of camouflaged leather to assist in your Stealth."

(He hands out three well-fitting suits of armour.)

"Saradoc, you were already top of the class in Stealth - but these suits will help absorb some damage as well.
    Now let us head out!"

Lestrade leads the group to the Northern Gate of Drannasmor.
    There he introduces Will Stutely, a male human, dressed all in green (including a feathered hat.)

(Lestrade departs.)

Stutely “Welcome! The caravan journey between Drannasmor and Versifal’s Keep takes about four hours and follows a well-made track. I then return to Drannasmor and so on…
    Meanwhile the full trade route through Sherwoodshire is Drannasmor - Versifal’s Keep - Gladiator Arena – Freeport.”
    Stutely then whispers “On this part of the route I carry valuable stuff made right here in the city (jewellery, magic items, weapons and armour).”

Nearby there is a large covered wagon, drawn by two sturdy dray horses. Sitting in the driver’s seat is a tubby, cheerful male human.
    Stutely “This is my driver, Alf.
    Alf “Pleased to meet ya.”
    Stutely “We'll be travelling at a gentle walking pace, so if you Scouts want to practise your Stealth, feel free!"

The caravan then departs, with the gate guards giving Will a light-hearted salute.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The wagon travels Northwards along a track, passing peasants working in the fields outside the city. Alf gets several cheerful waves from the farmworkers and happily waves back.

After a while the track leads through forested areas. It is warm, quiet and peaceful.

Alf yawns hugely, then points at a tree and says "That's an oak tree - you can tell by the leaves."
    Will instantly replies "No, it's a dog tree - you can tell by the bark!"
    Alf thinks about it, then giggles. "Hey, anyone got any riddles?"
    Will is promptly there again with "What runs down to the sea, but never comes back?"
    Alf looks nervous "Errr .... a man who can't swim?"
    Will turns to the party. "Anyone help him out? Have you got one to keep Alf awake?!"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2022

Saradoc speaks. "I find that joke in rather poor taste. You won't ever get me trying to swim." He speaks with a slight slur in his voice (everything about Saradoc is slight), and his face carries an expression hinting at a memory from long ago of great pain.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Castanea turns a sympathetic gaze on the halfling and ventures: "I believe our friends here were barking up the wrong tree. But there will be time enough for stories around the fire, perhaps. Maybe a tune upon the pipe, too: I find myself too short of breath to play it upon the march, and besides, we were supposed to be practising our stealth.

"We'll not go nearer the water than we can help, good Saradoc -- although I have hauled up weightier fish than you.

"Alf -- why is the sea salty?"
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

Squirming a bit under the heavy armor, Aislinn hears Will's question and, without thinking, blurts "a stream, belike?" Then, annoyed at having responded so reflexively, she clamps her mouth shut so she doesn't respond to Castanea's riddle either.

When thinking about Saradoc's discomfort and Castanea's promise, she takes a steadying breath and holds it, as if underwater now. She fights her instinct to commiserate with the halfling. Then Aislinn drags her attention back to the suit. She's glad to have it, but even disregarding weight (she can handle more than her small frame would indicate), it doesn't appear to have been crafted with a woman's various curves in mind.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Will responds "Yes, Aislinn's got it! I was once told by an Ocean Barbarian that streams run down to the sea - so the current doesn't come back."
    He adds "Saradoc, I promise you no offence was intended by by myself or Alf. He was just making a guess. We are both sorry if it upset you."

Alf nods. "Oh - I get it now. And sorry if I said the wrong fing. Errr ... Saradoc, you wanna a carrot?" (Alf has a bag of these vegetables under his seat, which he has been occasionally feeding to the horses. He offers one to the hobbit.)

Will adds "Castanea, I'd enjoy hearing some music and song sometime. In fact, I know Count Percival likes that sort of entertainment as well. I've also heard some fine stories and tales told in his Great Hall."

DM: Will makes an Alertness roll, noticing Aislinn's slight discomfort.

Will then mutters to Aislinn "Excuse me, but is that armour a bit uncomfortable? Mr. Lestrade thought that might possibly happen - and he gave me a camouflage cloak for just that reason."

Will offers to exchange the cloak for Aislinn's leather.

Next Alf heaves a sigh. "Okey-dokey, why is the sea salty?"

Will grins. "Alf, it's because they had run out of pepper!"

Alf looks confused.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"No, it's because no matter how much it waves, no-one ever waves back," Marron responds. He makes a note of that remark about Count Percival, too.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

A little surprised by Will's offer, Aislinn pauses and then removes the uncomfortable suit. "Yes, please. I appreciate the trade. And--and the forethought behind it."

Assuming Will gives her the cloak, she'll wrap it around her. Her head bows while she ties the clasp (or leather string, or whatever fastens the cloak together), and when she hears both answers to Will's riddle, she smiles slightly to herself.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2022

Saradoc breaks his silence. "My apologies, my comrades, it seems I have not fully rid myself of some bad memories. By the benevolence of my benefactor, Thrimgol, Bishop in Nevrast, I am healed in body, but it seems my mind is not quite fully healed yet. I will try to make peace with my past."
    He waves towards the sea.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Will nods happily when Aislinn fastens the cloak using the clasp.
    He adds “Mr. Lestrade much prefers a clasp for a cloak as sometimes you come across a magic one you can use instead!”

When the Hobbit turns down the offer of a carrot, Alf looks a bit disappointed.
    He takes a bite of the carrot with a distinct crunch. Then whilst chewing rather noisily, he mumbles “I know what ya mean, Sarry. My cousin doesn’t like heights. Hope things work out for ya.”

After another hour of steady travel, Will announces “Although the Empire Sea is to the North-West of Sherwoodshire, there are some impressive lakes in the County. We’re coming up to one now. We’ve come about half-way to Versifal’s Keep, so it’s time for a short break here.
    I know this particular lake is full of fish. Any of you lot any good at fishing? Fresh fish is always welcome at the Keep for the kitchens.”

The caravan arrives by a large body of water to the West, where Will produces fishing equipment for those that want it.

Alf halts the wagon and starts watering and grooming the horses.
    Then he blurts out “Two parrots on a perch and one of them goes – can you smell fish?”
    He looks around expectantly…
    Last edited by glee; 21 May 2022 at 02:58 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Marron says "Two fish in a tank and one of them says -- wait, is this anachronistic?". But he accepts the loan of a rod and line and casts a professional eye over the water for a likely swim to drop his hook into.

He is willing to wait to hear Saradoc's story when that worthy is good and ready.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn casts a discreetly concerned gaze towards Saradoc when she spies the proximity of the water, and then watches the lake herself from a safe distance.

Strange to have such conflicted feelings, as she does now. The sea nearly killed her--she has strong memories of that, at least. But those who saved her seemed to believe it might have been her best route when fleeing some monsters or such like.

She was dubious, and remains so. To be honest, many might consider her rescuers monstrous themselves. Still she has no choice but to rely on the words of others.

Meanwhile, though fish are nutritious and plentiful, she would be happy never to eat another one. Aislinn knows she must contribute regardless, and asks for a fishing rod herself. If she learned anything with those 'monstrous' rescuers, it was how to catch seafood.

When Marron* has cast his own line, she will follow suit, keeping a practical distance. He didn't finish his story, and she finds herself almost itchy to know the rest. Despite her preference for remaining silent, she can't help speaking up.

"What did the fish say?"

* - see setup thread for question

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Marron turns to Aislinn and opens and closes his mouth silently a few times, then says "Of course, it loses something in the translation. And now I believe you understand why I never became a jester," smiling good-naturedly.

He watches the line settle and awaits developments with the air of one who knows that fish will do what they will do and there is no hastening it.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Alf looks puzzled and Will comments "Let me explain. Castanea is obviously a much better fisherman than a jester! The joke he mentions only makes sense if you know about the brainy Leonard of Quirm, who has invented (on paper) a war wagon known as a 'tank'."

Will continues "So now we have it all. Two fish in a tank and one of them says "How do you drive this?" Incidentally I have heard that a well-liked author posed the riddle 'Why is a raven like a writing desk?' ... and nobody knows the answer!"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Oh, that's easy. It is nevar spelled with the wrong end in front!" suggests Marron.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hesitant, Aislinn eventually understands Mr. Marron's riddle. Like fish in a glass bowl, she realizes and smiles a little. Will's version is more opaque still.

She stares back at the line in the water in front of her. What might she catch? At least this is a freshwater lake, not the brine of the Empire Sea. The fish destined for tonight's meal will make a nice change.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2022

Saradoc breaks his silence. "I know why a raven is like a writing desk - it is because there is a 'B' in both.

Saradoc approaches Alf. "I apologise for my sulky response to your joke. I have some memories which still hurt, but you couldn't have known that, and anyway I need to hobbit up and get over it - it's been long enough now. When we move off would it be all right for me to sit beside you? I would be in a good position to guard the wagon with my bow, and my axe."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2022

Saradoc continues speaking to Alf. "I want to try something out. I'm going to back away in a moment. When I do, please could you mutter something?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

With careful consideration, Marron choses a spot and makes a series of smooth casts.
    After succeeding in his initial choice, he then goes on to try a couple of nearby places...

DM: Marron makes a Fisherman roll, and soon a has an increasing pile of fish on the grass behind him.

He whispers to Will "You were right - this lake is a great place to fish. I have caught carp, perch and tench!"

Aislinn gets a rod from Will. Although she looks a little unsure what to do next, she studies Marron's technique (whilst keeping a respectful distance from him.)
    Eventually she catches a fish (and stifles a squeal of delight.)

Meanwhile Alf smiles at Saradoc. "No problem about my joke, Mr. Saradoc. It's good to know what we worry about, init?
    And it'd be jolly good to have ya up front with me when we ride. You shoot 'em and I'll clobber 'em!"
    Alf points to his club, handily placed by his seat.

Then Alf looks a bit puzzled by Saradoc's next request. "Lemme see if I got it - you back away and I mutter summat?"

Saradoc nods and strolls away a little.

Alf whispers something.

DM: Saradoc makes a Read Lips roll on Alf

Smiling at Alf, Saradoc says "Why have I got to mutter something?"
    Alf looks astonished. "That's what I just said!"
    Last edited by glee; 26 May 2022 at 12:34 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Will surveys the situation happily - there is an ample supply of fresh fish for Versifal's Keep whilst Saradoc and Alf are having a pleasant chat.
    Birds are singing, the weather is pleasant and there has been no trouble on the trade route so far.

During a short lull in catching fish, Marron looks out over the lake thoughtfully.

DM: Marron fails a Local History roll

Marron says quietly to Will "What's the name of this lake? I have a vague recollection there was something interesting about it..."

Will replies "Oh, this is Lake Ness."

Before Will can continue, Aislinn chips in.

DM: Aislinn makes an Ancient History roll

Aislinn speaks softly "I recognise that name! Isn't there a Monster supposed to be lurking in the depths?!"

Will shrugs "Well yes, I've heard that. Personally I've never seen anything. And you know how folk love to gossip and spread rumours."

The three Scouts look at each other, then simultaneously all turn their heads to study the lake.

DM: Aislinn makes an Awareness roll

DM: Marron makes an Ambush roll

These two Scouts both hiss "Look!" and point at a large V-shaped ripple in the lake - which is heading rapidly towards them.

The birds stop singing...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Here is a map of the situation.

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/HHvvIy7Be8

The party have time to take one initial action now* (e.g. cast a spell / draw weapon(s) + change position...)
    Scouts can enter Stealth as well as having an action (using camouflage equipment, dexterity, shadows etc.)

Will draws his Bow; Alf grabs his Club and hurries to get between the horses and the 'ripple'.

*when the combat starts in my next post, please type a 'summary' of your actions here.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn drops the hard-won fish and will scramble with all her dexterity behind the wagon. If she can also draw her knife, she'll do so--although she's unsure whether a lake-dwelling creature would be any threat on the land.

Not sure how to phrase this, but does this sort of 'ripple' seem familiar to Aislinn given the company she's kept?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Aislinn does have time to reach the wagon and draw both her daggers.

(She does not recognise the ripple, despite her previous experiences...)

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2022

Saradoc dismounts from the wagon on the side away from the lake.
    Taking an axe in each hand he stealthily moves alongside his new friend Alf.
    Alf will not have to fight this monster alone!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Marron outs with his clubs and prepares to defend his hard-won fish. Oh, and his travelling companions. He'll leave the Stealth to Saradoc this time; someone ought to engage the creature's attention. A few words of prayer come reflexively to his lips, but nothing of any eldritch power as yet.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Although the party had spotted something approaching and taken up positions, they are still shocked by the sheer size of the insect-like creature that bursts onto the shore (spraying lake water towards both Marron and Will.)

The creature has a large mouth, strange eyes, waving mandibles, six legs and a segmented body covered in chitin.

DM: Marron makes a Fisherman roll and gasps "It's a mutated Water Beetle - I've never seen one this big!"

DM: Saradoc makes a Stealth roll and gains combat bonuses for his first attack.

The Beetle lumbers towards the nearby horses, ignoring both Marron and Will as it passes between them. (It is headed straight for Alf, who is guarding the animals.)

The party have time for one action before Alf and the Beetle exchange blows...

Will fires his bow (the usual two arrows.)
    Alf breathes in sharply and prepares to attack with his club.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Marron's burly form bursts into surprisingly swift movement as he closes on the horse-thieving vermin, clubs at the ready (the right-hand club is of superior quality). There's no reasoning with something like this, so his aim is to beat on it until, at best, it flees back where it came from. Should either he or Alf or anyone else suffer an unfortunate encounter with insect mandibles, he'll try to avoid melee while working up a cure.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

With this horrific creature heading straight for the horses--and the wagon--Aislinn realizes at once she has chosen her shelter poorly. She's not confident that her daggers will have an impact on that shell, and what few magic tricks and sleights of hand she possesses are of even less use. Having knelt down behind the wagon, she now scrabbles sideways, closer to the denser woods wherever there's a little upland so she can both hide and see the area more clearly.

The others are heading straight into combat with the... thing. Aislinn is ashamed that she's not jumping in to help, but her survival instinct is strong and in general she prefers flight to fight. Especially with an uncanny creature like this. Desperately she wonders what could possibly survive or even stand a chance against such a hellish beast.

Something flickers in her awareness and her eyes widen. "Wolf," she says softly. It's not in front of her but she can almost hear it growl. And no usual forest wolf, at that. Aislinn suspects her keen eyes must have seen it while on her way to this new hiding place, because she turns and points, knowing she'll find it.
    Last edited by choie; 31 May 2022 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Edited to better describe Aislinn's rationale.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2022

Saradoc, standing alongside Alf, hoping for surprise due to his training in Stealth, does not hesitate to engage the monster with a double blow from his pair of handaxes as soon as it is within reach.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

As Aislinn surmised, the Lake Ness Monster is much slower on land than in the water.

Lake Ness Monster: https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/8ktECkERbD

As the Monster lumbers towards the horses, Will is able to fire his bow at its rear. (The Monster is so large that there is no risk of hitting the party - who are gathered at the front end.)
    Will’s first arrow hits for 4 damage, but his second arrow is unable to penetrate the chitin armour.

As the Monster clumsily prepares to bite Alf, the party gain the initiative.

Saradoc is the first to engage, coming smoothly out of Stealth. His first Hand Axe strikes for 9 damage and his second adds a further 8.
    (Saradoc looks slightly disappointed as he knows Stealth damage is magnified…)

Suddenly a large, muscular White Wolf (with just a few black markings) springs out from behind a nearby bush and races into the attack (joining Alf and Saradoc in the front line.)
    The Wolf bites for 7 damage.
    (Aislinn seems slightly surprised by this and simply stands still, gazing at the Wolf.)

White Wolf: https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/uN7v3BVpW3

Alf roars “Gerroff our horses!” and swings his Club. He hits for 3 damage.

Marron has outpaced the Monster and gains a position where he can both fight and reach both Saradoc + Alf for curing.
    Marron’s Superior Club administers 8 damage, but his other Club glances off.

Apparently not too badly affected by all these blows, the Monster turns away from Alf and its gaping maw tears into the Wolf instead.
    The Monster inflicts an astounding 24 damage and with a snarl, the Wolf dies.

Now the Monster turns back to Alf (since Alf is blocking the way to the horses.)

Wilf again shoots two arrows. One hits for 5 damage.

Saradoc continues to use his two weapons and one Hand Axe hits for another 7 damage.

Alf shouts “Take that!” and swipes the Monster for 4 damage.

Marron’s Clubs thump the Monster. Once again, only the Superior Club succeeds, doing 6 damage.

Aislinn looks nervous that the Wolf has been so comprehensively dispatched, but quietly draws her two daggers, staring at the furry animal.

The Monster lunges at Alf and does 19 damage.

Alf gasps “I’m in the Doralis Club!” and leans back against the wagon for support.

Wilf is clearly worried, but again fires. Both arrows fail to do damage.
    Saradoc does 5 damage with one Hand Axe, but nothing with the other.

Alf is gasping for breath and his Club misses.

Marron manages to do 6 damage with his secondary Club (for once his Superior weapon does not hit.)

Aislinn steps carefully forward and thrusts with her two Daggers. Just one hits, doing 5 damage.
    The Monster opens its mouth … and expires!
    The Wolf suddenly vanishes completely.

Marron promptly casts a spell on Alf (who is white-faced.) Alf is healed for 10 points.
    As it all goes quiet, Will says “Jolly good show, everyone! Errr … Alf what on earth is the Doralis Club? “
    Last edited by glee; 03 Jun 2022 at 05:17 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

With a stunned look, Aislinn falls to her knees to touch the place where the Wolf fell. Somehow she feels guilty for its brutal death, and now she can't even carry it to the Lake, to Nimue's realm and the journey to eternity. Normally she isn't very spiritual, as praying certainly hasn't done much for her. But the Wolf was a noble beast, in Aislinn's eyes, risking its life--far more than she did. It deserves the honor of a watery departure.

Grasping a patch of grass in her fists as if it's the late Wolf's fur, she turns, white-faced, and glares accusingly at the repellent, motionless Monster. "How did it do that?" she gasps. "What sort of magic did that Beast possess that could kill and--and obliterate a foe like this?"

Then, embarrassed by her reaction, she rubs her sleeve-clad elbow over the uncovered side of her face, wiping her eye and nose clear of sweat and tears. She stands shakily and after wiping the blood (if any) from her daggers' blades, returns them to her belt. Cold fingers pluck anxiously at the small leather pouch across her shoulders while she stares around at the others. While she can't help heal anyone, if someone needs a wound bound, she has extra material for bandages.

Aislinn always has extra material for bandages.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2022

Saradoc comments, "I once heard of an adventurer named Doralis - he was legendary for fighting on even when badly injured. Alf, I guess you are just like him!"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"I never heard of Doralis, but I am delighted to have been of service -- that creature seemed to have a strong dislike to you! Well fought, although I fear the fishing has been ruined", says Marron.

He longs to ask about the wolf, but Aislinn seems upset at the moment.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Alf is clearly relieved to be alive and becomes quite animated. He raises his hands in triumph and gabbles:
    “Doralis was a cheerful Elf,
    So glad to be alive,
    Often he lost nearly all his health,
    But always he survived!”

Then Alf speaks to the Scouts in turn.

“Miss Aislinn, I’m sorry about the Wolf. Honestly, he saved my life – no way I could take two bites from that Monster!”

“Mr. Marron, ta for the Cure … Please Sir, may I have another?!”

“Sarry, you was great! One minute it’s just me – then you spring out of nowhere and whap! whap! … you can ride up front wiv me anytime.”

Will happily thanks the party and then says “Alf, about those fish Marron and Aislinn caught. Grab a couple of buckets from the wagon and we’ll fill them with lake water – that’ll keep the fish fresh enough until we reach the Keep.”

(Alf and Will duly store the catch from the Lake in the wagon.)

Will adds “Count Percival will be chuffed about you slaying the Lake Ness Monster. Tell you what – you should carve out some sort of trophy from the body of the Beast to put on a wall!”
    Will raps the chitinous shell and continues “It’s pretty similar to wood – any volunteers?”

He thinks briefly and adds “The Count is an educated man – he’d definitely appreciate some poetry or even a song about your deed!”

Registered
    Mar 2012

Relieved that the others weren't injured too grievously, Aislinn takes a last look at the monster, then back toward the forest where she first saw the wolf. Her brow furrows at a curiosity that occurs to her, but with a shrug she moves closer to the wagon.

Will's remarks about the fish deepen her frown. Sloppy of her not to think of that. She's spent enough time around fishermen--or more accurately, others who often caught fish--to know that any catches would need to be placed in water to keep them fresh.

Since Aislinn has no desire to carve anything from that creature--and anyway, she did the least to assist in the battle, it's hardly her place to seek a trophy--she clambers nimbly up to the wagon box. Leaning over to Alf when he carries the buckets up, and assisting him in setting one down, she says with some embarrassment, "Sorry, I should've known to do that. I'll remember next time, if necessary."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Marron obliges with another Cure for the heroic Alf, being equally overjoyed to see him still on his legs after a closer encounter with a larger set of mandibles than he personally would have cared for.

He also listens to Will's suggestion with interest. This appears to be a talented group and a song about their endeavours could turn them into famous performers, household names even, if they named themselves after the fearsome beast they conquered!

Then he looks over the chitinous carcase of the monster and thinks again. Who in the world would pay so much as a farthing to hear a song by "The Beetles"?
    Librarians rule, Oook

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2022

Saradoc opens up his bag of carpentry tools.
    "It's a bit gruesome, but I'll have a go at making something useful, or at least decorative, out of this shell."
    He selects an area of the shell to cut out, and sets to work making a plaque to hang on a wall.
    [DM: Saradoc makes a Carpenter roll]
    Saradoc produces a small plaque, functional rather than artistic, with small hooks at the back for attaching to a wall.
    The front of the plaque is engraved with a simple sketch of the monster, and with the caption "Lake Ness is safe once more"
    Last edited by glee; 11 Jun 2022 at 06:26 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Alf smiles at Aislinn and says “No problem, Miss. You’re welcome to help next time.”
    He proudly shows her a wooden construction in the back of the wagon. “Look, me and Mr. Will made a space specially for buckets – so the water don’t splash about!”

Next Alf thanks Marron for the Cure and then mutters “Please Sir, I want some more.”
    Marron pretends to look shocked. “What?!”. But he grins and casts again on Alf.
    Alf is healed for 9 points.
    Will giggles “What the Dickens is going on…”

Now Alf looks at Saradoc’s plaque. “That’s jolly nifty! If you ever retire from caravan guarding, you could earn a living as a carpenter. Oh, what do the words say?”
    Will swiftly steps in. “Alf, Saradoc wrote ‘Lake Ness is safe once more’. Very appropriate – and Count Percival will appreciate how tasteful it is. Bet you it goes straight on his wall!”
    Will turns to the party “You lot have really done everyone a massive favour by disposing of the Monster. Not just fishermen, but the local Lizardmen, farmers and travellers – they all benefit. Now I reckon the Count will do the decent thing and offer each of you a reward. Do accept it – it will please him! Oh, and there’s bound to be entertainment too – singing and the like.”

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Once everything is ready for departure, Will explains “We’re on the last leg of the journey to the Keep – just a forest track bit to do. Now this used to be a pleasant ride with trees, birds and squirrels to look at. However there have been rumours of bandits moving in. Apparently they wear headgear to disguise themselves – hence the nickname ‘Robbing Hoods’! But don’t be fooled – they worship Mordred and are out for themselves.”

He pauses, then asks “In view of that risk, where do you Scouts want to be placed as we travel? Saradoc, you mentioned you want to ride with Alf up front? Do feel free to do your Stealth stuff – I’ll fit in with whatever you want.”

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by glee View post
    Will giggles “What the Dickens is going on…”
    "Alf seems to have great expectations of me."

In response to Will: "If Saradoc is riding, then I think Aislinn and I should sweep ahead on either side, just under the fringes of the trees. Should I spot anything untoward, I will creep back and tell you, or if that looks impossible I will make like I have noticed nothing, and out with the block-flute and play a sweet melody; I'll keep it quiet otherwise. That's if Aislinn is agreeable?"
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn has been staring at Will since he mentioned the locals who might've been helped by getting rid of the creature. She didn't realize there were any nearby, and isn't certain whether she wants to meet them or not.

Hearing her name, she recovers from her distraction and by the time Marron addresses her directly she's already slipped down from the wagon seat she only just occupied. "Yes of course," she says, eyeing the man with interest. Musicians are valuable companions, she has found.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2022

Saradoc sits alongside Alf. "I'll be 'shotman' for this journey."
    He holds his shortbow at the ready, watching his stealthy scout companions ahead of the wagon.
    He keeps an eye on Aislinn to the left of the wagon's path, and Marron to the right, ready to send arrows at any enemies who might confront the scouts.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Aislinn sets off ahead of the wagon on the left; Marron takes the right-hand side.

DM: Aislinn makes a Stealth roll.
    DM: Marron makes a Stealth roll.

Alf welcomes Saradoc to the front seat of the wagon (and offers him a carrot.)

Will takes a seat at the wagon’s rear, with his bow ready.

All three Scouts know where the other two Scouts are and can use Scout Signalling to discreetly communicate.
    (They have practised this formation many times in their Guild training.)

At first the journey is peaceful, with typical forest noises.
    However (up ahead) there are soon sounds of a tree being cut down.

DM: Marron makes an Ambush roll.

Marron silently signals the other Scouts that there may be trouble ahead.

As the caravan rounds a bend in the path, they hear a shout of ‘Woody!’ and a tree crashes across the track, blocking it.
    There is a line of five humans also blocking the way (they are a short distance in front of the tree.)
    All five are wearing leather armour with a leather hood showing Mordred’s Symbol (Fire).
    The four men on the outside are carrying clubs, whilst the female in the centre has two hand axes.

DM: Aislinn makes a Awareness roll.

Next to the fallen tree she sees an Ogre holding a large Axe. Clearly he has just cut down the tree.
    The Ogre grunts with satisfaction and sits on the tree trunk. He is not displaying Mordred’s Symbol.

DM: Marron makes a Awareness roll.

He confirms there are no more bandits lurking nearby.

DM: Saradoc makes a Awareness roll.

He notes that the female is the leader of the band.

The female bandit shouts “Hold hands, this is a stick-up!”
    The other bandits chortle weakly (clearly they’s heard that before.)
    The female continues “We are ruthless bandits. However it’s your lucky day. Give us the the wagon and you can leave with your lives. And beware … we have an Ogre called Woody!”

The Ogre looks up at the word ‘Woody’, smiles and waves at the party.

The bandits are clearly expecting the party to flee and wait expectantly…

Forest ambush: https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/rImXISwG0S
    Last edited by glee; 18 Jun 2022 at 12:12 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"If they think we're giving up the wagon without a fight then they're barking up the wrong tree. This is one for the log all right," Marron thinks, "and I pine for the peaceful life I enjoyed only yesterday. By their criminal axe they have blocked our lawful root, and I for one am pretty saw about that, but it looks like we're lumbered with it for now. As for displaying the symbols of Mordred, that son of a beech...!"

Marron signals to the others that there are no bandit reinforcements to hand, and that he's ready to ambush the bandit nearest him.
    Librarians rule, Oook

+ Reply to thread