Poll results: Coolest: Spock, the Fonz, or Gibbs

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obviously Mr. Spock. Just as obviously, I mean the Leonard Nimoy version.

10 66.67%
  • No mortal man can approach the coolness of Marian Cunningham's secret lover.

0 0%
  • Gibbs. He constantly abuses everyone he works with and makes them like it!

3 20.00%
  • Stupid fat Rhymer! Xena is cooler than anybody with a penis!

2 13.33%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Coolest of the cool: Spock, the Fonz, or Gibbs?

Obeah Man, Mischief Maker, Lord of Bees Skald the Rhymer's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Coolest of the cool: Spock, the Fonz, or Gibbs?

Because the polls running right now are insufficiently stupid.

I wanted to include the coolest TV character from each decade, but I couldn't think of anybody from the 50s or 90s who was actually cool.

Forgive me for my heresy, Xena.
    Last edited by Skald the Rhymer; 21 Jun 2010 at 05:12 PM.
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I didn't know who Gibbs was until I scrolled down to the pix, but Spock wins either way.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, obviously Spock is the coolest of these three (although Xena would most likely kick my ass for saying that...).
    Hell is other people.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by dread pirate jimbo View post
    Well, obviously Spock is the coolest of these three (although Xena would most likely kick my ass for saying that...).
    Obviously, Xena would not care whether you thought Spock, Fonzie, or Gibbs was coolest.

Just as obviously, you would not dare to impugn Xena's ultimatositiness in her presence.
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say Xena is cooler than anyone with a penis, but certainly more than these guys.

Have any of them fought off the entire Spartan army themselves in time to get the antidote to their poisoned secret lover right after destroying a ghost version of the son of their mentor (who was in fact just a metaphor for their own hate) in a magical land where everyone sings about their emotional problems? Or outwit and outfight the God of War on several non-consecutive occasions? Not to mention defeating the God of the Sea while teaching a cursed mariner to love again? No, I didn't think so.

But if forced to pick between those three men, I'm going with Spock.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Your mancrush on Gibbs is incredibly bizarre, Skald.

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Spock, no question, no contest, hands down. The Fonz? Seriously? <picks self off floor>

Spock makes the Fonz look like Potsie.

Who' cooler: Col. Robert Hogan, Kirk, James West or Jim Rockford?

What about Tom Magnum, Starsky, Hutch, Hawkeye Pierce or Mr Rogers?

This is fun!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Taumpy View post
    I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say Xena is cooler than anyone with a penis, but certainly more than these guys.

Have any of them fought off the entire Spartan army themselves in time to get the antidote to their poisoned secret lover right after destroying a ghost version of the son of their mentor (who was in fact just a metaphor for their own hate) in a magical land where everyone sings about their emotional problems? Or outwit and outfight the God of War on several non-consecutive occasions? Not to mention defeating the God of the Sea while teaching a cursed mariner to love again? No, I didn't think so.

But if forced to pick between those three men, I'm going with Spock.
    I admit to knowing squat about Xena.

But I've lost track of the number of times Spock saved the universe as we know it. Plus he actually, you know, died, and came back to life. And he mind-melded with a sentient rock. And now he's traveled back through time and mentored his younger alternate-timeline self.

Not a bad resume.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by eleanorigby View post

I have to say Kirk or Jimbo will kill me. But Jim Rockford gives him a pretty good run for his money.

...What about Tom Magnum, Starsky, Hutch, Hawkeye Pierce or Mr Rogers?
    Was Starsky the blonde, or was that Hutch?

Doesn't matter, in this crew the answer is Mr. Rogers.

Heck, Higgins was cooler than Magnum.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Spock is so completely the definition of cool that his rare lapses of emotion are major events. The others are sad jokes in comparison.

What about Tom Magnum, Starsky, Hutch, Hawkeye Pierce or Mr Rogers?
    Hogan is too swarmy too be the coolest. Jim Rockford is cool but not quite on the same level. Kirk has to were space pajamas and as much as I love Star Trek, I have to give it to James West. He was nearly as cool as the Cooler King himself.

I just saw a classic episode of Taxi with Selleck on as a guest before he was famous but Magnum was not as cool as the 4 above. Actually same for the rest. Hawkeye has far too much Woody Allen going on to be cool. Starsky and Hutch were not really cool. Can't be Mr. Rogers. I'll give it to Selleck.

Who is the Coolest of Cool actors:
    Steve McQueen or Clint Eastwood or Cary Grant or Humphrey Bogart or John Wayne or Paul Newman or Marlon Brando or Henry Fonda or Harrison Ford?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    Your mancrush on Gibbs is incredibly bizarre, Skald.
    Why? Rhymers are open about liking some dudes. Or have you missed my praising Taye Diggs all those times?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph View post
    Plus he actually, you know, died, and came back to life.
    Xena did this twice. The second time she came back from a crucifixion, and of course while she was dead she took over hell.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Spock is so completely the definition of cool that his rare lapses of emotion are major events. The others are sad jokes in comparison.

Hogan is too swarmy too be the coolest. Jim Rockford is cool but not quite on the same level. Kirk has to were space pajamas and as much as I love Star Trek, I have to give it to James West. He was nearly as cool as the Cooler King himself.

I just saw a classic episode of Taxi with Selleck on as a guest before he was famous but Magnum was not as cool as the 4 above. Actually same for the rest. Hawkeye has far too much Woody Allen going on to be cool. Starsky and Hutch were not really cool. Can't be Mr. Rogers. I'll give it to Selleck.

Steve McQueen or Clint Eastwood or Cary Grant or Humphrey Bogart or John Wayne or Paul Newman or Marlon Brando or Henry Fonda or Harrison Ford?
    It depends on what you mean by "cool." I'll go with Bogart.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Taumpy View post
    Xena did this twice. The second time she came back from a crucifixion, and of course while she was dead she took over hell.
    That is a filthy lie. I am shocked that you would utter it and ashamed of you for doing so.

Xena came back from the dead FAR more than twice. Even if you're ignoring the first season episode when Gabby masqueraded as her while she was poisoned, there's the Groundhog Day bit to consider.

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

In descending order:

Bogie
    Cary Grant
    Paul Newman
    Clint Eastwood
    Steve McQueen
    Harrison Ford
    Henry Fonda
    John Wayne
    Marlon Brando

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Skald the Rhymer View post
    there's the Groundhog Day bit to consider.
    I think my statement works. Xena only came back from the dead mostly due to her own will to not be dead twice. And those are really the only ones that should count toward coolness. She only died in the repeating day because she already knew it wouldn't be permanent. Even Joxer could manage that and no one would mistake him for cool.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Need I vote?

Of course, there is Bret Maverick...
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

Lets bump this. I saw two guests looking at it and it deserves more posts. Especially the follow up "Who's Cooler" questions.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Sticking with: Jim Rockford, Bret Maverick, Spock. I'll throw Worf in as a kicker.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Sticking with: Jim Rockford, Bret Maverick, Spock. I'll throw Worf in as a kicker.
    Fine but what about:

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Fine but what about:

You bastard. That's a pretty good list of really cool guys. Bogey ,may win on that list, and Ford lose...but even Harrison Ford is pretty damn cool.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

I once wrote in an article that James Garner and Clint Eastwood were the two coolest living humans. No one argued. Makes it easier that most of the other really cool actors are dead.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Jul 2010

I was seriously considering these options until I saw XENA.

Then all consideration was finished. I will automatically vote for her.
    comcast guy - m4m - 18 (nb)
    seem like we had that connection when we looked at each other
    you had a blue shirt on nice asss,dought you will see this but dosnt hurt to try, but id love to play with you. tell me what you where fixing, or the street name,or describe me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

MacGyver beats the hell out of all of them.
    Political correctness will be the death of our country.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Spock in a walk.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Gibbs, but only if he gets residual coolness from Mr. Shoop.

+ Reply to thread