+ Reply to thread

Thread: Special Purpose, or Public Relations, Laws.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Special Purpose, or Public Relations, Laws.

I came across this article, today, talking about making a fucking registration requirement for adults convicted of animal cruelty.

Considering just how much the punishment for convictions goes beyond the statutes, often leaving people with a history of a conviction consigned to second-class citizenship, this additional stigmatization based upon a weak correlation is quite simply unconscionable to me.

As an extraneous issue, I'm disgusted that the same fucking legislature that can't be bothered to have sessions when the state budget is over one hundred days late can pass this kind of bullshit. ETA: Whoops, it's a county law, not a state law. Less offensive to me, then, but still frigging stupid.
    Last edited by OtakuLoki; 19 Oct 2010 at 08:06 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm torn on this because in Britain animal cruelty is an offence and does mean the person can have a criminal record for the act. As a result, they would have to declare it if asked. I'm not sure how the same applies in the USA.

On the other hand, creating a new law like this, instead of applying some common sense every time something brand new crops up, just smacks of dumb.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Jul 2009

Having to declare your criminal record is a bit different than registration. With a registry you've got to give the authorities a head and shoulders pictures, your address every time you move, and a list of aliases you might go by so that anybody can look you up and find out about your record. It's not you declaring it on job applications when they ask. It's any random snoop who knows your name checking you out. It's fucked up, frankly.

+ Reply to thread