+ Reply to thread

Thread: I need a new dog - suggestions?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default I need a new dog - suggestions?

With a few qualifications.

I have owned a beagle/dachsund mix, a beagle/something mix (looked pretty much like a beagle but with a kind of merle coat), a German/Australian shepherd kind of dog, and a German shepherd/Husky/Chow kind of dog. I have also been roommates with a Keeshund and a PeekAPoo.

I need to get a puppy, because I have cats. Am currently dogsitting a cocker spaniel who has been here 3 weeks, and the cats still don't like her at all. Much hissing.

I think a puppy will be better. (Otherwise my preference would be to go to the shelter and get a grownup dog, because they're harder to adopt than puppies and also, they're housebroken.)

So my qualifications are: Puppy. Must not have cropped ears or tail. Not too small as an adult (say beagle-sized). A breed that has no issues with watery eyes (i.e. apparently not a cocker spaniel). A breed that doesn't drool.

I don't suppose there's a breed that doesn't smell like a dog, but that'd be good. I'm not a fan of giving dogs lots of baths. My beagle/doxie mix needed one almost weekly. She was also the dog who got skunked and porcupined. Kind of an escape artist.

I have to say, I like dobermans, but I don't like the ear issue. I really don't approve of mutililating puppies, unless it's something that will eliminate other issues down the road (removal of dewclaws?).

Oh, and the beagley dogs lived 11 and 13 years. The shepherdy ones, 6 and 8 and I obviously would prefer one that would be around longer.

So, any suggestions on what kind of puppy to get? I know we have dog people here.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I know this is a little smaller than you specified, but had you thought about a Papillon? They really are a big dog in a little package. Highly, highly intelligent, they are easy to train and they love long walks and playing fetch. They don't have a strong doggy oder and are easy to care for, a good brushing a couple times a week will do. They are a completely natural breed- dewclaws are usually removed when they are a couple days old but ears and tail are left as nature intended.

My 8 month old Pap puppy wrestles HARD with my 2 big Setters, and she climbs like a monkey, loves sitting on my shoulder. She gets along great with my cats, they wrestle and chase each other all the time.

They are great obedience and agility dogs, if you think you might enjoy that kind of thing.

Did I mention that they're SMART? I mean... scary smart.

Registered
    Mar 2009

One breed I'd suggest you consider would be the Schipperke. It's a small breed, 8-20 lbs, that is known for it's energy, intelligence and mischievousness.

They are not a lazy person's dog, and do require grooming (not bathing, necessarily) on a weekly basis. They also have a reputation for doing what they want, instead of what they're told. Another consideration: Since the breed is relatively rare, it will be hard to find a breeder in the US - but contrariwise, you're far more likely to avoid any puppy mill operation.

If you're willing to go for a larger animal, I am very fond of the Canaan Dogs I've met. They're about the size of a Lab, and have a reputation for being healthy, inquisitive, and active dogs. Less known for mischief than the Schipperke but still a dog that needs a lot of stimulation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

PapSett, I just got your username! I think the Papillon might be a bit on the small side for me, although I've seen them and they are cute.

OtakuLoki, same for the Schipperke, although they are also cute. I don't think I've ever seen a Canaan dog, so that might be worth checking into.

Thanks for the info.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

We have Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, and I think they might meet your criteria. They get along with our cats just fine. (Actually, one of our cats likes to intimidate them; it's pretty hilarious watching them interact.) They are sweet-tempered, dumb as fuck, and fairly easy to care for - they do need to be brushed every week, but I don't think frequent baths are necessary (we bathe ours weekly, but that's because they're in the tropics and also go on daily walks on Jakarta's very dirty streets). As puppies they had a little bit of watery eye discharge, but that was temporary and they don't now. Exercise-wise, they are great - they appreciate daily walks, but you don't "have" to walk them - they aren't not like border collies or other breeds that simply must get out and run around. Physically, they are quite cute. Ours barked a lot as puppies, but they are pretty good now and don't bark much at all. They are very affectionate and want/need lots of human attention.

Registered
    Jul 2009

Have you ever considered a Poodle? Seriously. They come in a variety of sizes and are an intelligent, friendly breed. If you just keep their hair groomed in a "puppy cut" instead of one of those show styles, they're probably far less maintenance than other dogs since they aren't leaving tufts of fur everywhere.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh yeah, poodles (not toy, the bigger ones) are great - they are smart, loyal, and kind. If you don't want to be looking at nasty eye crustiness, though, get a black or dark brown one - not cream or white.

Registered
    Mar 2009

[QUOTE=Raymond Onion;143705] I have also been roommates with a Keeshund and a mutt.[QUOTE]

Fixed that for you.

If you're interested in getting an older dog, you might try going through a private rescue rather than a shelter. They will probably have a better idea of how their dogs do with cats. As long as it doesn't harass them, I think your kitties would be equally disgruntled, regardless of the age of the dog.

You CAN find breeders who don't crop ears, but docked tails might be harder. While cropping is largely cosmetic, docking can save a dog pain down the line-breeds with those whippy-tails are prone to injuring them (although looks are still a big part of the reason it's done).

I really recommend you cruise around on petfinder.com and see if anyone catches your eye.

I've gotta pimp Corgis, though. If you're concerned over docking, you could look into Cardigans, which have natural tails. Some Pembrokes are born with short tails, too. They're a short but substantial breed without a little dog personality, very smart and active. If you have time to keep one busy, they could be a good match.
    http://www.akc.org/breeds/cardigan_welsh_corgi/
    http://www.akc.org/breeds/pembroke_welsh_corgi/

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, the kitties are going to be disgruntled, to say the least!

My experience with cats and puppies, though, is that the cats are less threatened when the new pet is smaller than they are and can be batted around and treated like a cat toy. Once they get the upper hand, they accept the interloper. Well, kinda.

I like lots of dogs. I have a friend who has poodles, both standard and toy, and they're great. Not terribly well-trained but that isn't the dogs' fault. I've also always liked Corgis, but everyone I've ever known who had them had more than one. I don't ever think I've seen a Corgi puppy. I'll bet they are just adorable.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Our dogs were larger (though not by a lot) than our cats when we got them as 5-month old puppies, but it worked out okay. Our Javanese cat ignores them entirely (except once or twice a month when she feels compelled to come over and hiss at them), but our Egyptian cat spends a lot of time in the same room with them, although we don't see this very often:

We're more likely to see something like this - she thinks it is her job to keep the dogs in line and will swat them when they start running around:

Either way, it's hilarious.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've always wanted one a Cav. So cute!

+ Reply to thread