+ Reply to thread

Thread: No no no no, screw this, no.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default No no no no, screw this, no.

So I have 'a thing' about heights. I will go ahead and call it a phobia because it's not all heights. I have very specific rules about what heights are and are not okay.

Heights where I am unsecured or just kind of dangling out in open space are solidly in the NOT RABBITMAGE APPROVED category.

So enjoy this slideshow of the World's Scariest Bridges, found here: http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...iest-bridges/1

I had at least one heart attack while reading.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I could cross every one of those bridges!

...a couple of them would involve crawling on my hands and knees with my eyes closed, though. I don't mind heights if I'm doing something like, say, climbing a mountain. It's being suspended above a gorge that bothers me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    I could cross every one of those bridges!
    You go on ahead. I'll be, uh, over here.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The Mackinac Bridge is not at all scary.

At least, not in the way a pathetic jumble of steel cables in a Mexican ghost town is.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    The Mackinac Bridge is not at all scary.

At least, not in the way a pathetic jumble of steel cables in a Mexican ghost town is.
    I've been over the Mackinac Bridge and didn't have a problem with it at all. My sister has apparently been disturbed by it greatly, but lucky me I wasn't with them when said disturbance was happening.

That ghost town one, though... :whimper:

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I do. not. like. bridges. I've driven across Mackinac, and it didn't bother me too much, but it was a calm day. If I could feel it swaying, I would have been freaked out. Just past the bridge on the UP side, there is a place you can climb up on a bluff to get a good view of it. There's a fairly narrow but deep crevice in the rock that has a bridge over it that you have to cross, and although it's just a few steps my husband and I looked at it warily for a few minutes before stepping onto it. At least it was solid. The bridges that sway are the worst.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The other thing that makes a lot of these bridges scary is that you can see down underneath you while you're crossing. I've climbed a lot of lighthouse towers, and many of them have those openwork iron spiral steps. Climbing up and down gives me vertigo, whereas being up in the tower isn't really scary for me at all.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Heights and bridges don't bother me much, but some of those I wouldn't even cross. I'd be worried some of the really rickety ones couldn't hold my fat American ass (especially that one next to the older one that's fallen apart). The ghost town one looks awesome, though!
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Numbers 24 and 25 were the dodgiest looking to me. I'd never have rode that motorbike over that river bridge at 24.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm surprised that the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel didn't make the list. Of all the bridges I've been on, that's the one that freaked me out the most. I've been on the Lake Pontchartrain one, and the Bay Bridge in MD. At least the Pontchartrain one had separate lanes for traffic, so you didn't have to worry about some drunk, oncoming trucker drifting over into your lane, without any room to dodge. *whimper*

I do not like heights, and would pass on most of these bridges given the choice.
    Last edited by OtakuLoki; 12 Oct 2010 at 09:23 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm also surprised this little attraction didn't make the list. Granted, it's not techinically a bridge, since it doesn't go anywhere, but it's a walking platform some 4000 feet up, and has a frigging glass floor.

ETA: Just to be clear, anyone suggesting a Mellofest at this site will be punched. And then kicked.
    Last edited by OtakuLoki; 12 Oct 2010 at 09:28 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OtakuLoki View post
    I'm also surprised this little attraction didn't make the list. Granted, it's not techinically a bridge, since it doesn't go anywhere, but it's a walking platform some 4000 feet up, and has a frigging glass floor.
    Ohhhhhhh. Noooooo.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Gaaah, Loki. After about three seconds I had to close the window. My reaction went beyond discomfort into incoherent monkey rage.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Just as an aside, Zuul, I find it instructive that the vast majority of the people crazy enough... going out on the Skywalk are choosing to walk on those areas above the visible supports.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I wouldn't have a problem with most of these bridges, in fact, I've crossed a couple of them. The old, rickety, board or bamboo ones, though, you couldn't pay me enough.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Is it safe to come out yet.

I don't really have a problem with nice high up static places where the ground is a long, long way away and I don't spend my entire time thinking about hitting it at high speed.

Anything slightly lower which gives me a perspective of how high up I am, just freaks me out.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Mackinac isn't too scary, and I'm a huge wuss when it comes to heights. Although that one lady did get blown off the bridge in her car once....
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Revs View post
    Although that one lady did get blown off the bridge in her car once....
    That is not something I want to hear.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I will admit when I was on the William Preston Lane, Jr. Memorial Bridge (Bay Bridge), Maryland it scared the heck out of me. To make it worse, one span was closed so traffic on the remaining span was two ways without divider. I barely made it over. Mainly as I had to.

Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, Louisiana was not scary at all to me. I guess as it is not very high.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The bridge that always scared me is the big one you cross just outside of Chicago. I don't know the name of it, but its the big one over the river with a bunch of old factories around it. I don't know why it makes me nervous, but it does.
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

We went to Carrick-A-Rede but the asshole tour guide didn't give us enough time to cross it. You literally had to run the mile to the bridge in order to have enough time.
    It's common enough that people are too perturbed to walk back the way.

+ Reply to thread