+ Reply to thread

Thread: Was the creepy Argentinian gnome ever cleared up?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Was the creepy Argentinian gnome ever cleared up?

See story here, for instance (forgive the source, but there's also a Youtube video that backs up the story, and the guys in the video look petrified). Was the person who was posing as the weird gnome ever identified, and was it found out why he was doing it?
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Was the creepy Argentinian gnome ever cleared up?

I've looked at a few videos, and they all share the exact same formula: kids playing when a gnome shows up, everybody screams bloody murder and the video stops.

It's the video stopping so quickly that makes it pretty obvious to me that it's a hoax. I'm also dubious of the screaming fear displayed.

What is interesting is that the gnome in the OP link does move in a convincingly organic way. It is a hoax, but I wonder how the did it.

For the record, I play at Full Tilt Poker as "garygnome" with the gnome as my avatar. ("garygnu" was taken)
    I do not bite my thumb at you, but I bite my thumb.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Brrrrrrrr... no offence to any non-scary little folk who may be reading, but I hate creepy midgets!

As freaky as it looks, I've a feeling this is just one of their smaller mates squatting inside a snorkel jacket, with a witchy hat on.

But, if there's more to it than meets the eye, all I can say is those Argies are wusses. If that lived around here, the kids would make it an endangered species.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by garygnu
    For the record, I play at Full Tilt Poker as "garygnome" with the gnome as my avatar. ("garygnu" was taken)
    But your name's not Gary, and you're not a gnome or a gnu are you? Please say "No"!
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It looked pretty staged to me - as is often the case in (bad examples of) hoax videos, there's no point to the footage, except that it ends with a scary gnome, so why was the camera running?
    Pirate profiles: here

Setup thread: here

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov
    Quote Originally posted by garygnu
    But your name's not Gary, and you're not a gnome or a gnu are you? Please say "No"!
    My real name isn't Gary, just my online name. I could be a gnome...
    I do not bite my thumb at you, but I bite my thumb.

+ Reply to thread