+ Reply to thread

Thread: What do I have to do to get a handgun ordinance turned over?

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default What do I have to do to get a handgun ordinance turned over?

I don't actually own a handgun, and I don't want to. But I'm curious, now that the SCOTUS has made these laws unConstitutional, what would I have to do to actually get such a law changed? Sue them? Buy a handgun and get arrested for owning it (that seems complicated...how would I make authorities aware of it? Carry it in a holster?) Go to a city council meeting and ask politely (something tells me that won't work). What would be the best way to go about it?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: What do I have to do to get a handgun ordinance turned over?

The Illinois State Rifle Association and the NRA have been watching the city of Chicago closely since the Heller verdict just waiting for a chance to try Daley in court over the city of Chicago’s handgun ban. The best thing you can do now is join the ISRA and act on the announcements they make with regards to firearm ownership in Illinois by contacting your elected representatives and letting them know how you stand on specific legislation.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    May 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena
    I don't actually own a handgun, and I don't want to. But I'm curious, now that the SCOTUS has made these laws unConstitutional, what would I have to do to actually get such a law changed? Sue them? Buy a handgun and get arrested for owning it (that seems complicated...how would I make authorities aware of it? Carry it in a holster?) Go to a city council meeting and ask politely (something tells me that won't work). What would be the best way to go about it?
    I don't know the answer, but I know that carrying it in a holster probably isn't the answer because I believe that's a whole other law.
    This tastes like the circus smells.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Indeed it is. Chicago’s handgun ban notwithstanding, Illinois is one of two states (Wisconsin being the other) that does not permit any kind of carry with regards to firearms amongst private citizens. There are two kinds, open carry – which is where the firearm is in plain sight in a holster and concealed carry – where the firearm is hidden from view. The idea of walking around with a handgun in a holster would be open carry, which in this case would not only get you charged with possession of an unlawful firearm (the pistol) but also with illegal transportation of a firearm (In Illinois all transported firearms must be unloaded, in a locked case stored separately from ammunition, and not within easy access to the operator of a vehicle.) and perhaps even brandishment, which is the crime of displaying a firearm in order to cause a negative reaction.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

See, that's why I'm not interested in going that route.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE! Power to the people! Make a stand for your rights! Plus it would make great tv.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Truth be told someone is going to have to die on that hill in order to for the case to be referred to a higher court to challenge the constitutionality of the handgun ban, but having one of three felonies overturned still leaves one in the pokey for longer than most would prefer, as well as your never being allowed to legally own a firearm again seeing as you’d be a convicted felon with firearm related charges on your record. It’s the need for a home run case that’s prevented someone moving forward so far. They could choose to sue the city of Chicago in court over the whole thing, but that doesn’t put a face on the case, as it were, and the city has a lot more money than the ISRA will ever hope to see.

Best case scenario is a photogenic and well spoken person successfully defends themselves against a truly horrid and indefensible assailant in their own homes using a handgun to set the stage for a case that will play out well in the papers and on TV. Don’t forget that Da Machine isn’t going to just roll over on this one, it will be fought in the media with the open and tacit backing of the Mayor, every single Alderman and County Commissioner on their side, and throw in a few state and federal reps and you can begin to see how high of a mountain there is to climb to even get to a point where it’s a viable consideration to try that law in court.

I just wish someone would spend more time on how the handgun ban, and most gun laws IMHO, are racially biased against minorities. That would be the tactic that I would personally choose.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm actually not in the city, but in a suburb. I'm guessing the scenario would be roughly the same, though, Cluricaun.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It depends on what suburb you’re in. Several of the adjacent cities have also enacted handgun bans, but those are going to be much likelier to be overturned sooner than the cities. Hoffman Estates overturned an entire sheaf of gun laws a few years back in order to pave the way for Cabela’s to open. That sets a really decent suburban precedent that losing some of your dumber gun laws doesn’t result in hordes of gun related crime in the least.

Cluricaun - Apparently an expert on Illinois gun law. Who knew?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun
    I just wish someone would spend more time on how the handgun ban, and most gun laws IMHO, are racially biased against minorities. That would be the tactic that I would personally choose.
    Can you expand on this? It's not an argument I've heard before.

(I am on the fence about this whole issue, which in my location makes me a crazy gun-lover.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

I plan on it, but I want to get home from work first so that I can give that aside the thought and time it deserves.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Inner Stickler
    CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE! Power to the people! Make a stand for your rights! Plus it would make great tv.
    This! Make sure you're wearing nothing but a camouflage sports bra, cut-off denim shorts, and combat boots too.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp
    Quote Originally posted by Inner Stickler
    This! Make sure you're wearing nothing but a camouflage sports bra, cut-off denim shorts, and combat boots too.
    And do it at a town hall meeting about healthcare to show everyone that you're not going to be fooled by some uppity........oh, wait.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual
    Can you expand on this? It's not an argument I've heard before.

(I am on the fence about this whole issue, which in my location makes me a crazy gun-lover.)
    I'm going to be busier tonight than I was planning on. I invite you to watch "No Guns For Negros", a 20 minute film produced by the JPFO (Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership).

The video can be watched for free on YouTube

This video is a good collection of information and ideas relating to seeing gun ownership as a form of legislative oppression against disadvantaged classes in America.

+ Reply to thread