+ Reply to thread

Thread: Nasa spots a runaway Star

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Nasa spots a runaway Star

Nasa has seen the trail of a star racing through a cloud of dust and gases..

The star, Zeta Ophiuchi, is a super hot blue star 20 times the size of our own Sun and the images were captured by an orbiting observatory called WISE which sees the sky in infrared.

Pretty impresive, isn't it.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2010

That's awesome. I just love knowing there's this huge, complex universe out there and we're learning more about it all the time.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Man, that's so cool.

The picture looks very SPACE: THE FINAL FRONTIER.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd run away too, if I were in Ophiuchus; it's a pretty worthless constellation. "The Snake-Charmer?" One look at this guy and it is immediately obvious that "snake-charmer" is a fairly transparent euphemism.

Yeah. He's doing something to that snake, alright, and it is not "charming." That snake doesn't look any too happy about it either, and no wonder. They are not taxonomically compatible.

And what's with the cow there, who has apparently wandered in from some other constellation? "Oh, you naughty cow! You must wait your turn! I am not done with the snake yet!"

Who wants to play "count the inaccuracies in the popular science article?" I think we can reasonably start with line 1:
    The massive star is racing at 54,000 mph through a cloud of dust and gas.
    I'm not sure this really qualifies as "racing" by astronomical standards. Earth goes faster than that just moving around the Sun.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ah, good ol' Snake-Taint Ophie.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Jul 2009

Is he flossing his butt with that snake?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by terrifel View post
    Who wants to play "count the inaccuracies in the popular science article?" I think we can reasonably start with line 1:
    The massive star is racing at 54,000 mph through a cloud of dust and gas.
    I'm not sure this really qualifies as "racing" by astronomical standards. Earth goes faster than that just moving around the Sun.
    It probably wouldn't have been as dramatic had the opening line been, "The massive star is meandering along." When it comes to popular science journalism, drama always wins over accuracy.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

+ Reply to thread