+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do you wear a watch? How old are you?

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Do you wear a watch? How old are you?

They say that the under-30/GenY/Millennium crowd isn't wearing watches anymore, due to their ubiquitous use of cell phones, and I have noted this phenomenon among my friends. The thing is, I carry my cell phone all the time too, but cannot get used to checking it for the time...seems a lot more difficult than just glancing at my wrist. Don't think I'll ever give up wearing a watch. So I was just curious if anyone here has done so, and if so, how old you are.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't currently wear a watch, but I'm thinking of getting one. I do just use my cell phone, but I think a watch would be nice.

I have a friend about my age who carries a pocket watch.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Almost 52. When my last watchband broke, I started just using my cellphone to tell time. It now seems a little odd to me to see people relying on a watch.

Registered
    Mar 2009

See, Rube, you're young at heart. And BTW, I had no idea you were in your 50s, I thought you were around my age (43).
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 31 Dec 2010 at 11:55 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2009

62 and always wear a watch, when I don't forget it.
    Very rarely look at it as I generally know what time it is anyway.
    Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I used to wear watches but then when I got a phone and my current watch broke, I kept meaning to replace it but because I wasn't timeless I would forget and now it doesn't seem any more of a hassle to check my phone.

I would like to get some silver watches but only because I would use them for accessories.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I stopped wearing my watches maybe 3-4 years ago. I use to always wear them, I often slept with them on and occasionally showered with one on. I just always had a watch. Around the time I got my eyes fixed I also stopped wearing a watch though. I went a few years without one and rarely carried my cell phone until I got my iPhone this year.

Registered
    Mar 2009

32, and I always wear a watch. Of course, I also work in retail, where I'm pretty consistently asked what time it is, and I'm not allowed to carry my cell phone (so I can't just whip it out to check the time [I might get caught]). Besides, I got a watch for Christmas, and it's beautiful!
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I used to wear a watch, but I haven't bothered replacing the one I lost in the fire yet. My attitude toward wearing a watch was always more about it being a fashion accessory than a useful article of clothing, though.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I used to wear watches but they made my wrists STINK! I'd like to keep wearing one but even with regular washing it just caused this gnarly smell to emanate from that area.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Hah!
    You have just reminded me that when I was about 18 a Swedish girl sent me a leather strapped watch that after a few months smelled of honey.
    Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

I wear a watch, feel naked without it. Only take it off to shower, and occasionally to clean the watch. Have you tried doing those things, Gadaí?

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm 46, and always wear a watch unless I'm on vacation at the beach. I have a black plastic Swatch for evenings and weekends, and several dressier watches I wear to court.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    See, Rube, you're young at heart. And BTW, I had no idea you were in your 50s, I thought you were around my age (43).
    Heh, I guess I alway refer to "folks our age" when I'm talking to you, Sarah...as middle-aged people with young kids, we're pretty much in the same place, regardless of a decade or two.

Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello runner pat's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm 50.
    I always wear a watch. Must be the runner habit.
    I do find it easier to just look at my wrist rather than pull out the phone and flip it open and wait for the display to cycle.

It does drive me up the wall that the kids I coach don't see the utility of wearing a watch while running particularly when doing hard intervals or time trials.
    Last edited by runner pat; 31 Dec 2010 at 05:07 PM.
    "To give anything less than your best is to waste the Gift."
    Steve Prefontaine

Registered
    Mar 2009

42. I don't wear a watch. Though part of that is simply I'd had problems with watch bands: metal, even stainless, got eaten and rusty within a few months; natural watch bands disintegrated; nylon survived, but had to be deep cleaned* every couple of weeks, or I'd start getting open sores from the caustics building up there. Once I no longer had to worry about keeping logs, watches went by the wayside.

*TSP or unsweetened bug juice soaks worked best. Soap in the shower wasn't enough.

Registered
    Feb 2009

62, and I am a watch-wearer.
    Political correctness will be the death of our country.

Registered
    Mar 2009

33, and haven't worn a watch for the last 10 or so years.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    Heh, I guess I alway refer to "folks our age" when I'm talking to you, Sarah...as middle-aged people with young kids, we're pretty much in the same place, regardless of a decade or two.
    True, we definitely are. Just thought you might want to know that you look younger online.

This isn't breaking down as neatly along generational lines as I'd imagined.

Registered
    Mar 2009

42 and wear it every day. DH is the same age and relies on his phone. Mine has to be an analog; I can't wear digital watches. Something in my body chemistry messes them up.
    Last edited by Katriona; 01 Jan 2011 at 12:27 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2009

I wear a watch only to work - pretty much standard part of nurse-wear. I never wear it otherwise. I have cell phones for that. I'm 35.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't wear a wristwatch, mostly because I can't stand things on my wrists. I do wear a carabiner watch on my belt, however, as it is nice to have when my cell phone dies or i don't have it for some reason. I have a dress watch, but it has been in its drawer for a couple years now. I'm 21.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm 40 and had to get used to not wearing them at work years ago, they were allowed but I kept bashing them right up. Eventually I stopped replacing batteries or bands on the ones I had around and now I don't think I've worn one for nearly a decade.

It's not just phones, though, there are digital time displays all over anymore. Cars have them, kitchens have them, driving by banks on the road, computers, displays everywhere seem to tell us the time.
    Science flies you to the moon; religion flies you into buildings.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Queen Tonya View post
    It's not just phones, though, there are digital time displays all over anymore. Cars have them, kitchens have them, driving by banks on the road, computers, displays everywhere seem to tell us the time.
    This is it I think, there are clocks everywhere. Also I sit in front of a computer most of the day at work. The watch has far less utility now then when I was 20 or even 30.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I quit wearing watches on a daily basis about three or four years ago. Between always carrying a cell phone, digital displays everywhere at work and the time display on my computer, there was just no need. I have about half a dozen watches in my jewelry box that are in need of batteries now.

However, I do wear a watch when I have to dress like a grownup (funerals, weddings, job interviews, etc ). I have a vintage, wind-up gold Bulova that was a sixteenth birthday present from my grandparents that I get out when the nylons or suits come out of the closet.

ETA: Oh, yeah...I'll be 48 in a few days.
    Last edited by missred; 02 Jan 2011 at 10:31 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

29, and I stopped wearing a watch years ago. I use my iPod for the time.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm 37, and I wear a watch. I always wear one at work, and outside of work I'd say I wear one 75% of the time.

I work in an environment where my iPod would be completely inappropriate to carry around, and pulling out my phone to check the time would look unprofessional. Hell, I can't even bring my cell phone into several areas of my clinic, so I tend to leave it in my desk.
    Last edited by OneCentStamp; 02 Jan 2011 at 11:33 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

It's a good point that these days you don't really need a watch, but I feel kinda nekkid without mine, and I find myself looking at my wrist and being annoyed if it's not there.

Plus, I think they look snazzy.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I stopped wearing watches on the grounds that I usually broke the strap or strap holder in 6 months. I went through a lot of them that way.

I use a phone nowadays, it's slightly less easier for me to break.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

23, and I wear a watch. They are convenient, attractive and just damn cool. As if I'm going to waste my precious time fishing around in my pocket to find the hour.
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

52 and always wear a watch, although if for some reason I don't for a few days, it's easy to adjust due to the ubiquity of time-telling devices.

I have had intermittent problems with a reaction between my skin/sweat and watch straps - I can't wear leather or plastic, if I do I get an itchy rash on my wrist. The watch I've been wearing for the past 8 years or so has a stainless steel band, and that's okay.

Registered
    Mar 2009

So, I went to work on Wednesday in a state that felt "half dressed" to me. I left three bracelets and a watch sitting on my desk. Spent the whole evening looking at my wrist and swearing under my breath.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

In part because of this thread, and in part because I felt like rewarding myself for some stuff last week, I just bought this:

I like it because it is Swiss, but it's not branded. I really dislike the watch/brand/price one-upsmanship you run into in some circles.

(For some reason, about half of all auto writers wear Rolexes. WTF? There's no money in this business, so...who ya fooling?)

I really like watches, but could never afford the ones that interested me. I stopped wearing one about a decade ago.

I have been looking for a while.

I didn't want a common brand, didn't want an obvious pricey brand, then I found a company that sells these wholesale
    to other companies to slap their names on. Bingo!

I am very excited. Still waiting for it to arrive.

I really like this watch, but it sells for upwards of $800. A little rich for my blood.

"I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Awesome, I always like to inspire people to spend money! I think I'll start a thread about antique radios next.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Note: I learned a lot about watches while shopping. The cool thing I learned is that there is a huge population of watch geeks with
    lots of entertaining message boards. Happily much of the watch love is devoted to obscure technology and other oddities, not just
    silly expensive stuff.

I also learned that there are something like a dozen completely fake watch brands created entirely for television home-shopping
    channels. Names like Sturling. As it turns out, these are usually decent watches made by reputable firms, but the brands and
    suggeted cache of said brands is 100% BS.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Awesome, I always like to inspire people to spend money! I think I'll start a thread about antique radios next.
    I'm tapped sister. Do not start that thread. (I am also out of space for radios.)

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2011

I used to wear a watch religiously, when I was a medic in the Army, but the last time my watch broke, I just "kept meaning to get it replaced" and never did - now 'no watch' is fine and even natural feeling, even if my arms feel asymmetrical, since I have a bracelet on my left wrist and nothing on my wrist... my iPhone gets me by. Besides, there's clocks everywhere.

I am twenty-six.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, I don't know how much I need a watch. I have a clock on my computer, on my desk phone and on my cell phone. Every car has a clock in it, and my house is full of them.

Really, the odd meeting I attend without my cell phone is about it. Although, checking your phone is way more obvious than casually glancing at your wrist.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, I don't know how much I need a watch. I have a clock on my computer, on my desk phone and on my cell phone. Every car has a clock in it, and my house is full of them.

Really, the odd meeting I attend without my cell phone is about it. Although, checking your phone is way more obvious than casually glancing at your wrist.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Okay...still Sarahfeena's fault. I just bought this:

I was looking into this watch when I bought the one posted earlier. The guy at the shop finally found it...something
    I was sure wouldn't happen...then I felt like I had to buy it...

Don't tell my wife. Now I am REALLY REALLY done.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm 42 and pretty much if I'm awake, I'm wearing a watch. It feels really weird to not have it on.
    Hell is other people.

+ Reply to thread