+ Reply to thread

Thread: US Military decides to use Sock Puppets

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default US Military decides to use Sock Puppets

The US Military has awarded a contract to allow personnel to control multiple online accounts allowing them to put forward the pro-US POV across the Internet.

Apparently, the contract means that each online account must have a convincing background and history without fear of being discovered by their fearsome online adversaries (or any mod who can spot duplicate posting styles a mile off)

More here
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Ooh, I hope the UK follows suit. I'll finally have a way to be of use to my queen and country.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov View post
    Ooh, I hope the UK follows suit. I'll finally have a way to be of use to my queen and country.
    I dunno, while I understand the idea it seems pretty shaddy. In the US at least military is forbidden (without martial law?) from operating against US civilians, and this seems kinda close to that.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by hatesfreedom View post
    I dunno, while I understand the idea it seems pretty shaddy. In the US at least military is forbidden (without martial law?) from operating against US civilians, and this seems kinda close to that.
    How is expressing a pro-US viewpoint on the internet operating against US civilians? It's not like such behavior is going to keep the Tea Partiers or the "AmeriKKKa"-types from yammering incessantly.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    How is expressing a pro-US viewpoint on the internet operating against US civilians? It's not like such behavior is going to keep the Tea Partiers or the "AmeriKKKa"-types from yammering incessantly.
    I just don't see what business it is of the US military to try influence opinion, although I guess they have been doing that for quite awhile in movies and TV. So.. I dunno, because I think it should be NSA/CIA work instead of US Army? It occurs to me I don't have a very strong point on this one.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, I feel like I should be bothered by this but it seems like such an inconsequential use of the military's time and effort.

I mean, how many "America, Fuck Yeah" internet posts does it take to equal even one Top Gun?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Like a billion.

R.I.P Goose

PixieBob

wait...wait...are there liberals on this site?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by hatesfreedom View post
    Like a billion.

R.I.P Goose

NEVER FORGET

+ Reply to thread