+ Reply to thread

Thread: Birthers and Truthers

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Birthers and Truthers

I never realised that both sides could be as outrageously stupid as each other, but I guess neither the Democrats or Republicans could stand to be second best when it comes to moronic accusations.

Birthers - They believe that Barack Obama was not born in Hawaii, and as he will not produce the birth certificate, it must be so.

Truthers - Sarah Palin did not give birth to her disabled son Trig, and faked the whole thing either for political gain or to protect Bristol Palin.

Why America, why...

Especially fun is the current spat between The Guardian and the response from Politics USA about Sarah Palin.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Let's see, over 40 moms have a much higher incidence of giving birth to disabled children and she did not hide her daughter having a teen out of wedlock child already if I recall correctly. Therefore let us instead complicate things with a conspiracy theory as that somehow makes sense to people.

On the other hand, idiots in Arizona passed (the governor thankfully vetoed it) a law tied to the birther controversy. So the Republicans are still winning the idiocy war sadly.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Usually "Truthers" refers to the 9/11 conspiracy nuts. They're the craziest ones out there.

But, yeah, politics have gotten really ridiculous here, the next election will probably be decided over stuff like this. It's infuriating.

Registered
    Feb 2009

What sucks is a truly reasonable and centrist Republican has no chance of making it through the primaries now. Even Mitt Romney who I do not really like but could probably stomach will be destroyed in the primaries by the Tea Party and rabid Theocrats. I don't know who will be running against Obama but it scares me a bit. I'm thinking that Mike Huckabee might be the least disturbing to me of those that could possibly win the primary. Sarah Palin is not the worst, though she is pretty bad. Trump is probably the worst, but his candidacy probe is I believe just a publicity stunt. Bachman is disturbing to me as are most of those seemingly acceptable to the Tea Party.

Registered
    Mar 2009

There can't honestly be that many people concerned with the status of Palin's womb, can there? Her odds of ever seeing the White House are pretty slim, so it seems like it'd be a waste of energy to worry about conspiracy theories about her. As stupid as the birth certificate stuff is, at least it's about somebody who really matters. Every poll I've seen has had Palin as way, way down at the bottom of the list. She just doesn't connect with mainstream Republicans these days.

I shudder to picture a Trump presidency, but luckily it'll never happen. He serves as a way of riling people up and then making whoever actually gets the candidacy look reasonable to the moderates by comparison.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh my, looks like Obama, just released the long form birth certificate.

Time for someone to go and kick Trump hard in several places.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The loonies seem to be able to take pride even in being wrong. Trump is crowing he forced Obama to produce and look at this moron on our sibling board: It Feels So Good to be Right About Obama's Birth Certificate

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Truthers - Sarah Palin did not give birth to her disabled son Trig, and faked the whole thing either for political gain or to protect Bristol Palin.
    LIke everyone else has said, "Truthers" are people who believe stupid shit about 9/11. People who believe conspiracy theories about Palin and her kids are just morons.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    ...and look at this moron on our sibling board: It Feels So Good to be Right About Obama's Birth Certificate
    I'm gratified to see he's getting all the respect he deserves.

There just aren't enough for the whole Birther thing. I'm sure this won't put an end to it, either.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    What sucks is a truly reasonable and centrist Republican has no chance of making it through the primaries now.
    Amen.

Honest to God, I want to be a Republican, but that party is so messed up, so hell-bent on destroying Obama, and so afraid of Fox News that there's nothing there to latch on to.

Love or hate the Reagan era, things were really more civil then, and the discourse more intelligent.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Amen.

Honest to God, I want to be a Republican, but that party is so messed up, so hell-bent on destroying Obama, and so afraid of Fox News that there's nothing there to latch on to.

Love or hate the Reagan era, things were really more civil then, and the discourse more intelligent.
    Amazing how far we have fallen. We've regressed back to the days of Yellow Journalism and blatant machine politics. Discourse is the worst it has been since WWII at least and I suspect maybe even back to WWI.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Before the certificate was released, apparently, 1/4 of americans didn't believe he was American.

Wow, just wow.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Before the certificate was released, apparently, 1/4 of americans didn't believe he was American.

Wow, just wow.
    I've seen reports that up to 51% of Americans don't believe in the Theory of Evolution. We are not that smartest group in the world are we? Poorish people support the current Republicans who during the economic and budget crisis still consider the tax break for the richest to be a highest priority and have been convinced the Universal Health Care would somehow be bad for them. The gullibility of the sheeples is very high.

Registered
    Sep 2017

Default Birthers and Truthers

I think it marginalizes the remaining birthers even more. Dumbasses can understand the difference between a long and short form birth certificate if Glenn Beck goes on a stupid-bender. But, explaining Vattel to the average uninformed voter....

+ Reply to thread