Poll results: What's your favorite sport in the Winter Olympics?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alpine Skiing

1 4.35%
  • Biathlon

0 0%
  • Bobseld

0 0%
  • Cross-Country Skiing

0 0%
  • Curling

4 17.39%
  • Freestyle skiing

0 0%
  • Ice Hockey

9 39.13%
  • Luge

1 4.35%
  • Speed Skating

0 0%
  • Skeleton

1 4.35%
  • Ski Jumping

1 4.35%
  • Snowboarding

1 4.35%
  • And, ok ok, I'll include Figure Skating

3 13.04%
  • Love 'em all, I'll be glued to the set

0 0%
  • Winter sports? I can't think of anything more boring.

2 8.70%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Forget about figure skating, the Winter Olympic sport I love to watch is....

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Forget about figure skating, the Winter Olympic sport I love to watch is....

I have a soft spot for curling, myself...it was a sport my father-in-law loved to play, when it was too snowy for golf!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hockey, no question. I might watch some of the skiing and other downhill related sports, but I'm not all that interested in them.

Figuring skating is, to me, about as boring as a sport can possibly get. There should be martial arts figure skating fights instead. That I'd watch.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Is not watching the Olympics a sport?
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I picked snowboarding, but it was hard to pick between that and speed-skating. I have fond memories of watching fellow Wisconsinite Dan Jansen at the '94 games.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Is not watching the Olympics a sport?
    lol, it should be!

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

As a member of the Canadian public, specifically a dweller in SuperNatural British Columbia, I am on the hook for these Games. I would have voted against them, but we weren't allowed to vote. The entire lower mainland is going to be a zoo for the duration. It's costing about 500 thousand bazillion dollars and they are closing schools and firing teachers, ambulance drivers have been on strike for months, there aren't enough nurses . . . you get the picture, I'm sure.

We lowly serfs whose money is paying for all this cannot afford to go to the games. My 85 year old mother would sell her right kidney for tickets to figure skating but after working like a slave all her life and paying taxes and being an upstanding citizen, she's not important enough to be given a chance.

The Canadian military announced this morning that, Yes, they can and will shoot down planes that violate the Olympic Air Space.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus H. A big fat waste of money so a few elite athletes can come and play their games at public expense and a few big corporations can put the Olympic Logo on their bottles of beer.

But I do like to watch the ski jumping, which both my late father-in-law and my husband used to do.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I did not vote as I do not look forward to the Olympics any more and have not for years. I guess the women's (or is that girl's) figure skating was my favorite once they let the Hockey Pros play. But I will probably not watch the Olympics. I could not vote for Most Boring though. Too many other things less interesting than the Winter Olympics to me and I have some fond memories of past ones.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hockey for certain, as I'm a hockey junkie the rest of the time anyway. I also dig ski jumping, luge and bobsled and other controlled falling events. Snowboarding is cool, but since it's so focused on technical stuff for scoring purposes there tend to be many identical runs between riders which gets really boring after about 10 minutes.

I would love to try the luge myself, that looks pants shittingly exciting....except that the luge outfit would make it appear that a mylar balloon had stolen a sled and was attempting to abscond with it.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ice hockey. I could give two shits about the NHL, but I find international hockey, like international soccer, pretty compelling...while it's actually happening.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ice Hockey, although I wish they'd go back to not letting pro's play. Go Red Wings

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by vison View post
    As a member of the Canadian public, specifically a dweller in SuperNatural British Columbia, I am on the hook for these Games.
    Silly, you can't spend a paragraph complaining about the high cost and disruption and then wax wise about how you can't afford the obviously very expensive tickets to an event with high costs and huge disruption. It'd be like saying my car is not running good after crashing it into a wall.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hockey, definitely hockey.
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Women's figure skating and nothing else. Those are some incredibly beautiful ladies.
    Political correctness will be the death of our country.

Registered
    Feb 2009

One of my old employees is vying for a position on the skeleton crew.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by fisheroo View post
    That's so cool!

(I kind of hate the Olympics for a lot of reasons, but even so, when I hear about someone making the team, I always think it's cool! )

Yes, I'm a cat. What's it to you? Muffin's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Northwestern Ontario 48°17'42.8"N,89°23'21.2"W

Back when I was on my country's national team, my sport, telemark skiing, was beaten out for a place in the Olympics by snowboarding. Good for the snowboarders, but still, crappity crappity crappity.

The odd thing is that as much as I love skiing, I'm not into watching ski racing, or watching any other sport for that matter. Getting out and ripping down a course is truly wonderful, but watching someone do the same thing just doesn't do a thing for me -- better than watching paint dry, but that's about it.

I think the Olympics is a terrific thing. It brings attention to sports that otherwise would remain in obscurity, and because of this, some people take up these sports for themselves, which is a very good thing. So here's to the Olympians!

Registered
    Feb 2009

If I were to be a spectator at an Olympic event, it would be ski jumping. I live in a chalet by an abandonded ski jumping venue, so I hike and ski about the old jumps, and never cease to be amazed that people willingly fly off these things. How they manage to keep in the air when their big brass balls must weigh about 100 pounds each is quite astounding. I very much hope the venue at my place opens again, for I'd love to see folks imitating flying squirrels as they soar off the 120.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have a lot of respect for the athletic and mental ability of the participants in these sports, but I'm hard pressed to actually give a toss about watching them.

When the summer Olympics rolls around I make an effort to watch the Equestrian events and tear up during a good dressage routine. Maybe if they invent Snow Dressage I'll take to watching the winter ones.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Dressage on ice? Hmmm. . . now you have me wondering why Olympic television coverage never included compulsory figures? Maybe those horse faced USSR skaters were more horse than they claimed to be.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by fisheroo View post
    By the way, is that the official name ('crew')? Kind of cool.

I picked curling, because it's completely unhyped in the US, so you don't get a lot of boring coverage on the players; they just show the sport. It's such a strange but interesting sport to watch, too.

Although I will have to see Kim Yu-na. I never found figure skating that much of a draw, but I happened to catch one of her routines a while back. I was mesmerized. She's unbelievably graceful.
    Last edited by parzival; 26 Jan 2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: .->?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, it all starts on Saturday night. Anyone know how is Vancouver coping?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Well, it all starts on Saturday night. Anyone know how is Vancouver coping?
    Well, according to NPR this morning, the organizers are freaking out over the lack of snow; the native nations are either smugly satisfied or bitter, depending on how well their particular culture is represented in the goings-on; and Vancouverites, as you might imagine, are apprehensive about the ecological and economic impact of the man-made El Nino that is the Olympics.
    Last edited by OneCentStamp; 12 Feb 2010 at 10:00 AM.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I voted figure skating because the rest of that shit is boring. (NB figure skating isn't that great either though.)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by RabbitMage View post
    I have a lot of respect for the athletic and mental ability of the participants in these sports, but I'm hard pressed to actually give a toss about watching them.

When the summer Olympics rolls around I make an effort to watch the Equestrian events and tear up during a good dressage routine. Maybe if they invent Snow Dressage I'll take to watching the winter ones.
    I just opened this thread all, "Haha, I'll suggest that I'd watch winter dressage. Nobody'd ever think of something that random."

But, yeah. I'm not so much into winter sports. I love sledding fast down a track and whipping around corners with a bunch of other people until we all go flying face first into the snow, but watching other people being all grim and determined in snow? Eh.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'll watch hockey throughout the whole Olympics, but I'm having a curling party on Feb 27th!

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The Ford World Championship Women's curling is on this week in Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada. It can be viewed online at http://www.tsn.ca/curling/
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by vison View post
    The Ford World Championship Women's curling is on this week in Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada. It can be viewed online at http://www.tsn.ca/curling/
    Jennifer Jones made a pretty nice shot to win her game against China tonight.

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by dread pirate jimbo View post
    Jennifer Jones made a pretty nice shot to win her game against China tonight.
    Yes, she did. But earlier in the day the Swedish skip made a better one to win her game.

I like watching it. It's interesting. I used to find it very boring, but now, I don't know, it's got me sorta addicted.

Must be some sort of mind-control thing.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

+ Reply to thread