+ Reply to thread

Thread: What to do with this herb? (Paging OneCentStamp)

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default What to do with this herb? (Paging OneCentStamp)

My Vietnamese friend gave me a lot of her herb plants when she moved; most did not survive, but the plant pictured below is a juggernaut - it may take over my entire garden. Apparently it goes by many names, including Indian borage, Spanish thyme, French thyme, Cuban oregano, hung chanh, thom long, tan la day, and who knows what else.

It's wonderfully aromatic, although when I've minced it and thrown it into cooked foods I haven't really noticed the taste, so I'm wondering if it quickly dissipates when heated. Finely chopped raw bits are nice mixed into salad. I think I'll try making a pesto out of it, too ... seems like the taste would go very nicely with pine nuts. And I might try mixing it with ground beef to make a grape leaf or ravioli stuffing.

Anybody (especially our resident Vietnamese food person OneCentStamp) have any other ideas?

Incidentally, if you want to grow something unstoppable that will thrive under any conditions, I recommend this stuff. The bugs/viruses that we have so many of aren't touching it, it establishes itself quickly and grows like crazy, and even though the web says it likes some shade and not to be overwatered, it is doing fine in a sunny spot while rainy season drenches it.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I will have to show this to my mom and ask her about it! I don't recognize it!
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Mom recognized it immediately and agreed with the "hung chanh, thom long, tan la day" appellations. She says in Vietnam, you would shred or chiffonade it and make it either into an herbal tea, or sprinkle it into broth. TVM teaches that it's good for your lungs. Yum!
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks!

I've started using it as my all-purpose "I want a fresh green herb in my food" substance. Further internet surfing suggests that it does seem to be popular for respiratory purposes - next time I have a cold or sore throat I'll chew on some and see if it helps.

+ Reply to thread