+ Reply to thread

Thread: I have never eaten a hamburger

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default I have never eaten a hamburger

Okay look: I was raised by vegetarians. I hung onto that for a long time even after leaving the nest, until I actually sat down and thought critically and realized that, wait, I really like food, so I'm not about to swear off most of it for some incoherent hippie philosophy my parents probably first picked up during an acid trip. ANYWAYS . . .

I'm gradually fixing my ignorance of American food culture, and one of these days when I get around to it I will probably even try bacon for the first time! Meanwhile, I realize I've never had a hamburger in any form.

So where should I go? It kind of seems like I should go to McDonald's or Wendy's or something, since fast food is probably the major domain of the hamburger. Or should I wait until summer, and have one at a fourth of July barbecue? Or could I easily make one myself (without a grill, since I'm a poor kid without a backyard)? Or what? HELP ME CURE MY HAMBURGER IGNORANCE, DUMBOPHANT!!!

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Don't get a Big Mac. I never had one until last year, when I decided to try it. Nasty.

Get a Whopper. I get mine with no mayonnaise, no tomatoes, and added mustard. Homemade burgers are really good, too, of course, especially if you put Tabasco on them.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

No, do not go to McDonald's or a similar fast food chain. Look, I eat their burgers sometimes but it's with the understanding that it's kind of a crap version of what I really want. Don't make one of theirs be the first hamburger you eat.

You could probably make a decent one in a skillet at home but I really recommend you wait until someone can grill one up for you. Big fat burger, medium rare, go easy on the ketchup / mustard, have a little mayo and some onion instead.

Some people put bacon on their hamburgers but frankly I don't know if you will ever be ready for such a step.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh my god, don't let your first hamburger experience be a fast food chain. Do you have a good diner in the area?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    Oh my god, don't let your first hamburger experience be a fast food chain. Do you have a good diner in the area?
    My thoughts exactly. Those little retro diners usually have pretty good hamburgers. Don't do fast food.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm going to echo the sentiment that you can not have your first burger be from McDonald's. You have waited this long, wait a little more until you can one that's actually going to taste good. IMO, the best burgers are off a grill at a barbecue.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Will you post after losing your burger virginity and tell us what it was like?

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hatshepsut View post
    Will you post after losing your burger virginity and tell us what it was like?
    Well, it may be awhile, since it's not quite grilling season . . .

Registered
    Mar 2009

Find a friend that grills regularly and get yourself invited over. Let the friend know your desire to have your hamburger virginity taken by a good home made grilled burger. Start small, but be sure to at least try another later with more "fixin's" on it!
    Hard to believe even one such as you here in America hasn't EVER had a hamburger!
    Vintage Wrench Collector Tool Talk
    Photographer My Flickr
    PapawsImages
    Brazoria County Forum

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Grilled is best, but most decent chains (like a Ruby Tuesdays or Houlihans but not Fridays*) can make a good hamburger. Good enough for a first time. Ask for medium so it at least has a good chance of coming out medium well and not charred. A hamburger should not be dry.

* Applebees is a crap shoot, they vary more than most national chains in my experience. If you have a local one you like, go for it.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Don't mind these snobs, get yourself a regular burger at McDonalds, then work your way up.

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by An Gadaí View post
    Don't mind these snobs, get yourself a regular burger at McDonalds, then work your way up.
    Don't listen to An Gadaí! He doesn't even eat meat.

Registered
    Mar 2009

It's a trap! He's trying to so revolt you with processed meat that you'll never eat animal flesh again.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I would think that a McDonald's cheeseburger would be an excellent place to start.

I haven't had one since going veg 20 years ago, but I recall them being tasty, and they certainly represent what America thinks a burger is.

Sure, lots of burgers are better, but few are more a part of the American burger experience. Plus, the fries and McDonald's rule.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No. No no no no no no. NO. Do NOT have a McDonald's cheeseburger for your first hamburger. I would recommend a bar burger, myself, but if you MUST go fast-food, at least get Burger King. Flame-broiled makes all the difference.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Another voice to plead against having McDonald's for your first burger. The things they sell are hamburgers in name only. It isn't that the food is so terrible - if you dumb down your palate a bit and you're really hungry, it's far better than nothing - but their food has no relationship to what a true hamburger is like. If fast food is the only way to go, then Burger King is a much better choice.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I second the Burger King choice if you can't find a friend to grill you a proper burger.
    Vintage Wrench Collector Tool Talk
    Photographer My Flickr
    PapawsImages
    Brazoria County Forum

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Seriously, avoid the fast food burgers as the first hamburgers. Go to a good restaurant or bar you already know and get it there. Remember, Burger King might have adherents, but many also do not like them. My choice for a fast food burger would be Wendy's if any, but go get a real burger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Update?
    'Never say "no" to adventure. Always say "yes". Otherwise you'll lead a very dull life.' -- Commander Caractacus Pott, R.N. (Retired)

Registered
    Jul 2009

C'mon Exy. We want to hear about you stuffing meat in your mouth.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I haven't tried a hamburger yet. Too lazy and it hasn't been grilling season.

I did learn this from SomethingAwful, though:

if you dont stuff your mouth with hot loads of meat and meat juices you are a huge faggot

Registered
    Mar 2009

That is absolutely true. And remember: if you don't eat your meat, how can you have any pudding?

Registered
    Mar 2009

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Jul 2009

It's hamburger season!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fuddrucker's. Great burgers, IMNSHO.
    Political correctness will be the death of our country.

+ Reply to thread