Thread: Closed Minds: Lamb with mint sauce, Fries with catsup

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Closed Minds: Lamb with mint sauce, Fries with catsup

Was chatting with someone yesterday about how set in our food ways
    we tend to get.

Tell a Chicagoan that you eat your fries with mayo and they will likely
    gag. Likewise, tell some Belgian you dip yours in catsup and they'll likely cringe.

Kind of the same thing when it comes to what we eat when. Pancakes are breakfast food and burgers are not.

So, what's our problem?

Are you with me?

Let's pour Open Pit on lamb!

We salute those who put honey mustard on pastrami and ranch on their reuben!

I say let's make a grilled cheese out of pancakes and thousand island smoothie!

Who's with me?

(And who the hell puts cheddar on apple pie anyway? Weirdos. )
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Open Pit on lamb sounds delicious. Most of the other combinations you propose can go jump in the Gulf of Mexico.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    Open Pit on lamb sounds delicious. Most of the other combinations you propose can go jump in the Gulf of Mexico.
    Not feeling the groundswell of support I was looking for here.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

This would be a good place for my bitch about potato chip flavors.

BBQ, sour cream and onion, aka ranch, cheddar. Come on...we should be screaming for something new!

-Jim Rockford

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've always liked the variety of potato chip flavors available in Canada: pickle, ketchup & mustard, etc. I'm glad that in the USA you can at least get jalapeno, salt & vinegar, and other flavors a little out of the ordinary. I remember as a kid, all that was available was plain, BBQ, and sour cream & onion, and my dad even thought THOSE were exotic.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've always liked the variety of potato chip flavors available in Canada: pickle, ketchup & mustard, etc. I'm glad that in the USA you can at least get jalapeno, salt & vinegar, and other flavors a little out of the ordinary. I remember as a kid, all that was available was plain, BBQ, and sour cream & onion, and my dad even thought THOSE were exotic.

Near as I can tell, white folk wont eat the pickle flavor, or salt & vinegar as they seem to be more commonly called around here.

I only found them in more Black and Hispanic neighborhoods. For a while I actively sought them out. Now...eh, got my fill.

I have seen mustard and catsup chips from Uncle Ray's. Again, not
    anywhere near my dull suburb.
    Last edited by Oliveloaf; 15 Jan 2010 at 05:40 PM.

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

... I remember as a kid, all that was available was plain, BBQ, and sour cream & onion, and my dad even thought THOSE were exotic.
    Hell, I can remember when plain old Frito chips were considered exotic.

I'm going to bitch about flavored coffees. I endorse putting a shot of, say, raspberry or vanilla syrup in your coffee if you so choose. But the ones that come out of the can or bag flavored make me gag. Whatever happened to coffee-flavored coffee?

I've had french fries sprinkled with lemon juice and oregano and they were awesome.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph View post
    I've had french fries sprinkled with lemon juice and oregano and they were awesome.
    Herbed fries rock.

-Jim Rockford

+ Reply to thread