+ Reply to thread

Thread: In which I point and laugh at someone nerdier than myself

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default In which I point and laugh at someone nerdier than myself

Maths genius discovers why singles can't find love

Long story short, this guy used mathematics to calculate the odds of finding his dream woman. The odds come out to be 1 in 285,000, when using the Drake Equation, a tool used to estimate the number of civilisations currently existing in the galaxy.

But the number doesn't look right. Consider:

1) His thesis is titled "Why I Don't Have a Girlfriend"
    2) He is an economist
    3) He seems to believe the Drake Equation is useful, considering reasonable estimates for the constants give the number of civilisations in the galaxy ranging from 0 to 100,000.
    4) He has told the media about this, despite knowing the media would twist his words. For example, it seems that number is for any given night, not over a lifetime.
    5) Last name is Backus.
    6)
    "The research may sound depressing to people looking for love, but the good news for singles is, it's probably not your fault,"
    Gee, thanks a lot.

Based on the above, I calculate the odds of him finding love at 1 in seventeen trillion.
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The truly idiotic thing is that he has since found a girlfriend, who met all his requirements.

So, either his thesis is correct and he beat the 1:285,000 odds of finding her; or he had his head up his ass.

I know which of those two premises Occam's Razor suggests would be more likely to be true.

ETA: Of course this does provide anecdotal evidence for the age-old wisdom that the true nerd not only has no life, but can prove it mathematically.
    Last edited by OtakuLoki; 14 Jan 2010 at 01:08 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wow, good thing I'm not good at math otherwise I may be able to prove how dull and lonely my life is.
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Yahoo News
    In his "Why I Don't Have a Girlfriend" thesis, Backus found that of the 30 million women in the UK, only 26 would be suitable girlfriends.
    What's a thesis in this context? Did he actually get academic credit for this?

Registered
    Feb 2009

There is one thing that struck me about his calculations. I don't know whether I am just easy to please or his numbers are a bit off.

For physical attractiveness he assumed a ratio of 1 in 20. If the equation is supposed to make sense you have to assume that the variables are independent. That mean that one in twenty would also mean one in twenty among those that meet the other criteria.

That seems horribly low to me.

I mean I could believe that one person in twenty is so physically attractive that they seem immediately desirable without looking any further. However I don't buy the idea that 19 out of 20 aren't attractive enough to qualify even if they are otherwise perfect matches.

Does that ratio seem right to you?

What's a thesis in this context? Did he actually get academic credit for this?
    I hope not, but for the sake of scientific credibility he turned it into a PDF and everybody knows that once something has made it into a PDF it is almost as good as published.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/ec...girlfriend.pdf

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Feirefiz View post

I mean I could believe that one person in twenty is so physically attractive that they seem immediately desirable without looking any further. However I don't buy the idea that 19 out of 20 aren't attractive enough to qualify even if they are otherwise perfect matches.

He's certainly a perfectionist. Look at how much effort he put into that paper.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Feirefiz View post

No, it doesn't, but it's depressingly typical. I imagine he'd be a horrible boyfriend with an attitude like that.

"Yes, yes, you're a brilliant philanthropist PhD candidate, but honey, you've got a little worry wrinkle forming between your eyes. I'm afraid you're just not good enough for me anymore."

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Damn, he's cute.

Of course, I married an adorable nerd from MIT, so my taste in these matters is fairly well established.
    Last edited by Hatshepsut; 14 Jan 2010 at 07:41 PM.

+ Reply to thread