+ Reply to thread

Thread: "Be friendly and courteous at all times"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default "Be friendly and courteous at all times"

If someone is partaking in an act of flagrant stupidity (especially if their stupidity might harm someone or something) I feel morally obligated to point out what a fucktard they are. If they're being a fucking moron as opposed to simple 'I didn't know any better' ignorance, I feel totally justified in being a jerk in my reply.

However, some internet communities have a Golden Rule policy. If you can't say something nice or as quoted above, "Be friendly and courteous at all times". While this is a good rule in general...there are some times it just doesn't apply.

Example: Say I'm on a Stupid Chicken Forum which also caters to other animals. Someone posts a long message about how he and his wife (who are totally not novices!) just got a four year old untrained horse and stuck in in their backyard where he drinks out of their above ground pool and likes to play near their windows, and could someone tell him all he needs to know about horses in ten words or less (even though HE IS NOT a novice, thanks), this might get a reply in the vein of: "This was a terrible idea and I wish you luck."

Such a comment is apparently inappropriate under the "be friendly and courteous" clause, and will be deleted.

I'm sorry, but if you're a stupid motherfucker on the internet, the internet is going to be a motherfucker right back. I find rules like that fundamentally retarded in pretty much any community. It's actually insulting. It's as if the admins are saying no, you are not a group of reasonably functional adults who are capable of dealing with disagreements and criticism. You are grade school children and we have to shelter you from these bad, naughty things.

If I ever start my own message board, rule #1 will be "No unjustified dickery. If you can prove a valid reason to be a dick, go right ahead."

Registered
    Mar 2009

"This is a terrible idea and I wish you luck" is unfriendly or discourteous? The fuck?

I find rules like that really, really irritating. The rules here basically amount to:

Don't be an obnoxious twit. If you're an entertaining twit, you may be suffered.
    It took us a while to get to that point, but I far prefer it this way. Trying to pussyfoot around and protect everybody's feelings is ridiculous.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This thread made me cry and now I hate you all. It should be deleted.

BTW, anyone know some good recipes I can use for this plutonium? I was thinking a salad.
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by AllWalker View post

BTW, anyone know some good recipes I can use for this plutonium? I was thinking a salad.
    This is a terrible idea and I wish you luck.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Katriona View post

TWEET! Mod boots on.

This is an entirely inappropriate post! Take it to the...eh...Pit...

...carry on.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Katriona View post

Pretty bad response and I wish you luck.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, first you're going to need some heavy water....

Registered
    Mar 2009

YOU ALL SUCK AND I HATE YOU AND I'M LEAVING FOREVER GOODBYE

Registered
    Mar 2009

....was that supposed to be dickish?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by RabbitMage View post
    YOU ALL SUCK AND I HATE YOU AND I'M LEAVING FOREVER GOODBYE
    Would you like some of these blackened pitchblende sticks for traveling food, first?

Registered
    Mar 2009

But this is a bad idea. Everyone knows plutonium should always be served as an entree. Protactinium is best for salads. Yeeash!
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Mar 2009

SALAD CAN BE AN ENTREE RAEG

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

eeeps. I post on a nicey-nicey board like that and i often - constantly, actually - long to run naked thriugh it (figuratively speaking) shouting the worst obscenities i can think of
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Mar 2009

SALAD CAN BE AN ENTREE RAEG
    Blasphemer! Heretic! Barbarian!
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Mar 2009

You forgot octogenarian. Not that I am one, mind you, but I know you forgot it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by vison View post
    eeeps. I post on a nicey-nicey board like that and i often - constantly, actually - long to run naked thriugh it (figuratively speaking) shouting the worst obscenities i can think of
    I know what you mean. Whenever I find myself in a place like that, I start longing to go out in flames of glory. The worst are the nicey-nicey psychotically PC places, where to acknowledge that there are biological differences between men and women, to use any term that can vaguely be associated with something offensive ("hysterical is sexist language!!!!"), or if any man isn't properly submissive ("I am so sorry for my male privilege and have no right to speak on this matter!") are all grounds for official warnings.

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The real problem with communities with those kinds of rules is that they slowly become a haven for crazyness. Since no one can call the crazies on their destructive / self-destructive behavior / irrational theories / crappy attitudes / whatever in even the mildest terms without getting a hand slap from a mod, what eventually happens in that the rational people withdraw and leave the forums to the nutbags and their sycophants.

For this reason, I think "safe space" forums are inherently unhealthy. Of course, every community can and should have their own rules about what it acceptable language, and I'm not advocating no rules at all. But setting up a space where certain users can never be challenged on their crap is a bad, bad idea.
    Last edited by Myrnalene; 06 Jan 2010 at 12:25 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's stupid rules like these that drove me off of several forums I used to frequent and have left me with this place and SA. SA is unique wherein you can pretty much say anything to anyone about anything. Then again, they can randomly ban you too. Strange place.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, and believe me Myrna. This place is a haven for the tin-foil hat nutter set. Some of my favorites from a thread about 2012:
    They are talking about the Aztec / Myan Calendar right? If so it is my understanding that that was not when they predicted the world would end just when they were going to start the calendar over again.
    Now do I think that something is gonna happen in a few years that will turn our lives upside down, YES I do. Not sure what it will be i.e.: natural, chemical, terrorist but I have built my own survival kits and have a good stock of weapons, and a plan (directions) on our escape from my area with 4 different routes out of the NY area. I also have gas can I keep filled and change every 6 months and a tod of survival plans and items.
    Will it help, I sure hope so but who know could have been just a waste of my time and money but it makes me feel safer.
    On the topic of people throwing around the word 'paranoia':
    Im sure people were called parinoid untill Germany started rounding people up.

Im sure people were called parinoid after 300 years of peace in the americas an when the revolution broke out.
    Im sure people were called parinoid after 100 years of peace an then the US burned atlanta.
    Im sure people were called parinoid after 80 years of peace an then Japan atacked.
    Now 70 years later here we are, thinking we are above the troubles of the rest of the world an those that are prepared are again called paronoid.
    ...um...
    i like watching shows like that. the scientist think they are all knowing and sound so inteligent. i dont believe the mayans were able to tell the future. i believe bible prophesy is true and that the bible is the word of God to man. the bible says one third of the world will be burnt up. it also says that Jesus is coming back as king this time. not as a baby or to die but as king of the whole earth and he will reign from jerusalem, israel. if that happens in 2012, that would be good. i just hope the one third of the world that gets destroyed is not america.
    I posted a snarky, 'uber nice' follow up comment and got a second warning. Oh noes! But really, with entertainment value like that, I can't afford to get banned. So I guess I'll be nice.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Im sure people were called parinoid after 300 years of peace in the americas an when the revolution broke out.

Various wars between European powers, and between colonists and Native Americans were "300 years of peace"? Yeah, ok dumbass.

And then there is this:

Im sure people were called parinoid after 80 years of peace an then Japan atacked.
    UM.

Sorry, that was rather tangential but goddamn do I hate stupid people who don't know they are stupid.
    Last edited by Myrnalene; 06 Jan 2010 at 01:24 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I think my favorite part is "i just hope the one third of the world that gets destroyed is not america."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by RabbitMage View post
    I think my favorite part is "i just hope the one third of the world that gets destroyed is not america."
    The US is clearly bigger than I thought.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The consistant mispelling of "parinoid" makes me paranoid that that entry was submitted via copy and paste. Oh yes, I believe so.

By the way, how good has this peace been since Japan attacked?

Registered
    Mar 2009

The peace since Japan attacked has been, like, 70 years or something, right?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yup. You only have to ignore the Korean conflict, and continuing hot border; the Vietnam War; Grenada; Panama; GWI; Bosnia/Yugoslavia; 9/11; Afghanistan; and GWII.

Lots and lots of peace.

The "cool" mom.
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, we've been at peace with Japan, anyway. It's just everyone else who thinks we're scum.

Ah, who am I kidding. Japan thinks we're scum, too. They only pretend to like us 'cause we buy their cars and DVD players.

eta: Okay, I have no memory of ever typing, reading, or conceiving of that sig line. It's kind of spooky. I don't even like penguins.
    Last edited by Marlitharn; 08 Jan 2010 at 03:54 AM. Reason: extreme bafflement.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You should keep it, most definitely!
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Marlitharn View post

eta: Okay, I have no memory of ever typing, reading, or conceiving of that sig line. It's kind of spooky. I don't even like penguins.
    Hee, there was a little bit of signature weirdness when we switched forums.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Marlitharn, good to see you! I'm posting on my phone right now, but when I get to a regular computer, I'll get rid of that signature for you.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

OK, airlocks have been opened, and penguins have been jettisoned!

The "cool" mom.
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Look at 'em flapping their little wings...

Registered
    Mar 2009

Nooooo not the penguins :-(

Registered
    Mar 2009

It's okay, Rabbit. The Conspiracy of Penguins shall continue. Soon, they shall have infiltrated every aspect of life.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Be honest friendly and helpful courteous at all time

+ Reply to thread