+ Reply to thread

Thread: Blatant misinformation on television

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Blatant misinformation on television

So, just now I apparently wasn't paying attention to what channel I had the TV on, and had inadvertently been watching the Tyra Banks Show.

What caught my attention was Tyra telling a clearly obese guest that "obese is more than 100lbs overweight! That's the official definition, and you are no where near that." Assuming said guest is around the average female height of 5'4" she only needs to be 30lbs overweight to be obese, and 100lbs would be well into morbidly obese.

Holy shit, Tyra. Way to misinform your viewers. Way to misinform this poor girl!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Good grief.

And the thing that's really annoying: I'm sure Tyra's motives, if she were aware of the misinformation, were of the best - trying to build up the woman's self-esteem. But that's not the way to do it. Moving the lines so that someone isn't in some arbitrary category isn't really going to affect anything. The way to help someone struggling with their weight is to keep including them socially, don't belittle them, and be honest if they ask for your view or opinion about their weight or body. Don't pat them on their head like three-year olds, and say that everything is alright. Give them the straight information, offer to help if they want it, and then let them make their own choices.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, it could be worse. At least it was only Tyra Banks saying it. Were it Oprah, people would have actually believed her.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Perhaps she meant "obsequeous" and not "obese" ?

It is appalling and numbingly familiar. Because it is seen on tv it is the truth.

A little research would reveal the numbers more accurately.

I'm fat and would love to know I am not obese, but turning to Tyra isn't how I will find out.

Cartooniverse
    If you want to kiss the sky, you'd better learn how to kneel.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cartooniverse View post
    It is appalling and numbingly familiar. Because it is seen on tv it is the truth.
    Jack Torrance: See, it's OK. He saw it on the television.
    "It's Quite Cool." -Gandalf

+ Reply to thread