+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why do carbonated beverages "prickle?"

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Why do carbonated beverages "prickle?"

At any temperature, a carbonated beverage gives the inside of your mouth a tingly feeling. It can range from refreshing and pleasant, all the way to unpleasantly intense or even painful. What exactly is causing that?
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

That's the mind control nanobots burrowing into your flesh and suturing the holes behind them as they go. Ever since 'bot technology was perfected in the late 1960s (thanks to a little reverse-engineering out at Area 51) The Government has infused the majority of carbonated drinks (which are most favored by children) with teenytiny automatons that nest in the neural ganglia and perform according to signals received from AM transmitters located in remote areas. Perfected in the 1980s with the assistance of the Soviet "woodpecker" experiments, the majority of Westerners are now under the influence of subtle social commands issued by ... someone of considerably high standing in the UN.
    "It's Quite Cool." -Gandalf

Registered
    Mar 2009

That's the mind control nanobots burrowing into your flesh and suturing the holes behind them as they go. Ever since 'bot technology was perfected in the late 1960s (thanks to a little reverse-engineering out at Area 51) The Government has infused the majority of carbonated drinks (which are most favored by children) with teenytiny automatons that nest in the neural ganglia and perform according to signals received from AM transmitters located in remote areas. Perfected in the 1980s with the assistance of the Soviet "woodpecker" experiments, the majority of Westerners are now under the influence of subtle social commands issued by ... someone of considerably high standing in the UN.
    Damn! That's good!
    Vintage Wrench Collector Tool Talk
    Photographer My Flickr
    PapawsImages
    Brazoria County Forum

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Inigo Montoya View post
    Report to this thread immediately to recieve your harsh spanking.

Just guessing here, but I would assume that the cause is the fact that the fizz is caused by carbon dioxide, which when dissolved in water is acidic. The bubbles might play their part, too.
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I thought it was because of the bubbles popping against the inside of your mouth.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I think its incredibly cool that nano-technological mind control is so inexpensive.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The weird thing is that's not (or mostly not) the bubbles popping that you sense. I may need to find a cite, but there was an experiment done under pressurized conditions so that bubbles wouldn't be popping. But people experienced the same tingling sensations. The primary sensation is the acid(s*), but apparently the tongue can also sense the carbon dioxide produced (that's the reaction that produces bubbles).

*Carbonic acid normally, but many sodas, especially colas, add phosphoric acid.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by parzival View post
    The weird thing is that's not (or mostly not) the bubbles popping that you sense. I may need to find a cite, but there was an experiment done under pressurized conditions so that bubbles wouldn't be popping. But people experienced the same tingling sensations. The primary sensation is the acid(s*), but apparently the tongue can also sense the carbon dioxide produced (that's the reaction that produces bubbles).

*Carbonic acid normally, but many sodas, especially colas, add phosphoric acid.
    Last night I saw a cooking program where the bubbles were formed in something thick, so they were large and unpopping. Still, though, it was described as "fizzy".
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Here's a link to an article about this topic:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1015141510.htm

I didn't realize it was so recently published. I believe the experiments with the pressure chamber are older, and it's the discovery of this receptor that's the new news.

+ Reply to thread