+ Reply to thread

Thread: Stuttering videos

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Stuttering videos

About 10 days or so ago, I noticed that when I watch videos on YouTube or other locations, the video stutters and jerks badly while it is downloading. Once the download is complete, things usually straighten up and the remainder of the video plays smoothly.

My ISP has checked the line, no problems. I haven't made any hardware/software changes in quite some time. The stuttering is a new thing; it's never done this before.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so, what did you do to fix it? System is XP/SP3, 3 gig ram.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I've encountered that problem too, and the only way around it I've found is to mute the sound until the red bar is full and then play it.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

For a lot of YouTube videos, I open them in a tab and pause them so they are loaded before I play. It helps a quite a bit.

Registered
    Feb 2009

What I'm trying to figure out is why this has just started happening. And I really would like to fix it. Instant gratification and all that.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Firefox, IE, or other?

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've been having this problem as well. Sometimes you have to let the video load and still wait another minute or two for everything to work right.
    Give me whiskey when I'm thirsty,Give me a cold beer when I'm dry, Give me root beer when I'm sickly, Give me a headstone when I die.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by tunaman View post
    Firefox, IE, or other?
    Seamonkey 2.0 running on XP with SP3.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's most likely not you or your computer, it's YouTube. This happens with lots of streaming media sites when there are times of high demand. Lots of college kids on Xmas break = lots of traffic on the web. The only thing to do is either do like others have said and let the whole thing load before watching, or just download the videos using the downloader of your choice and watch them offline.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

HEY YOU KIDS, GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND DO SOMETHING USEFUL!

Wait, oops.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

+ Reply to thread