+ Reply to Article

Article: Cuban Christmas Eve

1. Cuban Christmas Eve

2 Comments by Sarahfeena Published on 21 Dec 2009 06:07 PM
    A new story entry has been added:

Cuban Christmas Eve

Cuban Christmas Eve Dinner.

Christmas in Cuba has had its ups and downs over the last few decades. What was long one of the most festive days of the year for the Cuban people went underground in 1962, when Cuba officially became an atheist country, and Christmas was no longer celebrated as an official holiday. For many years, public displays of Christmas decorations were banned. However, President Castro restored the holiday in 1997, in honor of a visit from Pope John Paul II, and it is now becoming a joyous and festive holiday once again.

Christmas Eve is the important day of celebration for the Cuban people, and one of the most cherished traditions in Cuba is Christmas Eve dinner, which has a very specific menu, prepared by Cubans everywhere. After dinner, many go to Midnight Mass and exchange gifts. My father in law was born and raised in Cuba, and Christmas Eve dinner was one tradition that he made sure to pass on to the next, American generation of his family. He is no longer with us, but we continue to enjoy this delicious meal every Christmas Eve.

2. Total Comments 2

Comments

Registered
    Feb 2009

I think I'll try the arroz con gandules negros (is this almost right?) on Christmas Eve. My son Jack loves rice, so this is perfect to add to the buffet I'm kind of planning.

We like sweet plantain so I'll make it Filipino/Cuban/Soul/whatever else I seethat looks good for dinner.

Thanks for the article!
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

Great article, Sarahfeena! And now I'm hungry.

I hope maybe this presidency will finally normalize relations with Cuba. It's hard to keep a good people down. Feliz Navidad, Cubanos.

+ Reply to Article