For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Worst Candy Flavors: Your Top Three

In no particular order:

Green Apple
    Banana
    Strawberry

This goes for a lot of things, like Splurpees, not just candy.

Fake apple is hideous.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Apple
    Mint
    Banana

I'm with you on the apple thing. I like apples, all types of them, but when I'm expecting a nice lime lifesaver and there's some fake appleness instead, that's unpleasant.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Banana
    Root Beer
    Black Licorice

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

See now, I love green apple.

Black licorice is #1. It actually makes me feel a little nauseated.
    Lemon...I like it in desserts, but not in candy for some reason.
    Root Beer I don't like in general.

Registered
    Mar 2009

1. Licorice, and anise in general. It's a flavor that I find utterly incomprehensible that people like it.
    2. Cherry. Bleh.
    3. Root Beer flavor is not meant for candy.

I'll be glad to trade any of the above for your sour apple flavored candies, though.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Strawberry. I hate the flavor of fake strawberry.
    Purple. Not grape, but like the flavor of "grape" soda. Can only be accurately described as purple.
    Buttered Popcorn, of Jelly Belly fame.

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Banana
    Root Beer
    Black Licorice
    I like all of these. In fact, substitute Blue Raspberry for Licorice and you've got my favorite childhood popsicle pack. Oh man, how I loved those root beer popsicles.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

1. Licorice/anise. Blech.
    2. Sour apple. The very smell nauseates me.
    3. Anything "bubble gum" flavored that isn't actually bubble gum.

Root beer flavoring is a close runner up -- it didn't come to mind simply because I haven't eaten it in so long.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Licorice
    Pina Colada
    Banana

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Strawberry.
    Banana.
    Chocolate mint.

Mostly just strawberry though. Like Taumpy, I really, really loathe artificial strawberry flavor.

Registered
    Feb 2009

You're all crazy, fake banana is the best. Like in Banana Quik. I could drink a gallon of that stuff.

I'd say.........

Lime
    Mint Chocolate
    Buttered Popcorn (don't smoke weed and eat Jelly Bellys kids.)
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Licorice
    Root Beer
    Cotton Candy
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali View post
    Licorice
    Root Beer
    Cotton Candy
    These are all pretty bad fakes.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

1. horehound
    2. horehound
    3. horehound

Even liquorice's nastiness is not even in the same order of magnitude. Horehound does not even faintly resemble a candy. It looks like something that fell down behind the china cupboard and was there for years and years, and then somehow wound up in the candy dish. It tastes like an accident. It is dusty and turdlike. If by chance you put one in your mouth, you are immediately alarmed and think, "This was a terrible, terrible mistake." Horehound lingers shamefully in the mouth. It has been decades since I was last persuaded to ingest horehound; yet the memory of its hideous flavor is clear. If horehound were a new product, its makers would be sent to jail. There is no excuse for peddling a product named “horehound” to children under the pretense that is a kind of candy. What the fuck IS horehound anyway? NOBODY KNOWS. Rats will not eat horehound.

People still make horehound! WHY? Who the hell buys it? I will tell you: deranged elderly people, whose memories and taste buds have both ossified into uselessness. They dimly recall that horehound is a type of candy, and so they continue to purchase it for their unsuspecting grandchildren. They no longer remember that they hated horehound, and fought tooth and nail to avoid eating it; but were forced to do so because their parents were suckered into believing some obscure snake oil hokum about its supposed medicinal benefits. And so the curse is passed on even unto the last generation. Generally speaking I have extreme respect for our valued elderly; but the ones who buy horehound really need to hurry up and die off now.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I kinda like horehound...

I buy it at Crakerbarrel whenever I drive from Chicago to Detroit.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    I kinda like horehound...
    Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post

I buy it at Crakerbarrel whenever I drive from Chicago to Detroit.
    This seems frankly anomalous, insofar as horehound is endlessly horrible. Have you not noticed this?

It is not reasonable that you should like horehound. Horehound doesn't like you.

I suppose it is possible that the 'horehound' sold at the Cracker Barrel is some sort of mock horehound; an actually enjoyable candy, that is simply LABELED 'horehound.' It may have no more relation to actual horehound than those barrels have to genuine rustic coopers.

On the other hand, I guess it is not totally outside the realm of possibility that a human being might actually seek out the taste of horehound, due perhaps to some obscure dietary deficiency or childhood trauma. My brother had a habit of chewing styrofoam cups. Rural Appalachian communities reportedly had a practice of eating dirt. Why? Probably because they couldn’t get horehound.

The human animal is a multivarious, unpredictable organism. This is not to say that we should condone such deviant behavior, or consider it as anything other than grossly maladaptive pathology. Whatever the origin of your disorder, the fact remains that your freakish purchases are subsidizing the continued existence of the horehound industry, a situation that shames us all. For the sake of the children, I beg you to seek a more palatable snack substitute, such as vermiculite or spackling compound.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by terrifel View post
    I suppose it is possible that the 'horehound' sold at the Cracker Barrel is some sort of mock horehound; an actually enjoyable candy, that is simply LABELED 'horehound.' It may have no more relation to actual horehound than those barrels have to genuine rustic coopers.
    This is entirely possible, and something I had not considered.

The ONLY horehound candy I have ever tasted is the stuff from
    Cracker Barrel.

To that same end, there aint much cola in cola.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by terrifel View post

On the other hand, I guess it is not totally outside the realm of possibility that a human being might actually seek out the taste of horehound, due perhaps to some obscure dietary deficiency or childhood trauma. My brother had a habit of chewing styrofoam cups. Rural Appalachian communities reportedly had a practice of eating dirt. Why? Probably because they couldn’t get horehound.
    Well, at the age of four I was forgotten in a YMCA pool for several minutes. I recall floating helplessly, water wings blocking my view to the sides, 'till my dad realized I was adrift. I, I...what the...I really have a craving for horehound candy...and circus peanuts.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    You're all crazy, fake banana is the best. Like in Banana Quik. I could drink a gallon of that stuff.
    Artificial banana is the taste of evil.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Artificial banana is the taste of evil.
    Wrapped in sin.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Speaking of cola...

Bottle Caps candy comes in really foul cola and root beer flavors.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

I must agree that Banana flavored Quik is pretty damn awesome. I haven't seen it around here in years.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Horehound kind of tastes like Ricola cough drops. Also, it was a favored candy of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Anyways, I'd rather have horehound than sour apple.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    See now, I love green apple.
    It's people like YOU who are ruining the world by causing them to change all the lime candy to green apple! :Shake:

PS Also, that lovely flavor in anise/licorice/fennel is awesome everywhere, in either sweet or savory foods. Mmm, Pfeffernüsse.
    Last edited by Exy; 05 Jan 2010 at 03:41 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Exy View post
    It's people like YOU who are ruining the world by causing them to change all the lime candy to green apple! :Shake:
    Exactly.

God protect green Life Savers.

-Jim Rockford

+ Reply to thread