+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ranch Dressing: Better Than Mayo?

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Ranch Dressing: Better Than Mayo?

I can think of no topical application for which ranch dressing is not an excellent, if not preferrable, substitute for mayo.

Sandwhiches? Ranch
    Fry dipping? Ranch
    Even cole slaw.

Repaste: nil-link 36-C, 11.10.2009
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've lost my taste for ranch over the years. I find it cloyingly sweet these days. If I mixed it up myself with the seasonings but not the sugar (or at least not so much of the sugar) I'd still love it and want it on everything. If that's not an option, though, mayo all the way.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No, the one thing that requires mayo vs. ranch are salads: macaroni salad and tuna salad being two prime examples off the top of my head.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ranch is okay as a dip, and a dressing only if homemade, but never as a mayo substitute.
    The idea of tuna salad made with ranch, or a roast turkey and provolone sandwich debauched with ranch, why that's just crazy talk!

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

What makes something "ranch" anyway? Herbs and garlic?

In that case, I'd be hard pressed to think of something that didn't taste better with ranch than with mayo, although it must be good-quality ranch. The Newman's Own ranch dressing we get here is revolting, and while I don't think I've personally had a sweet-testing ranch dressing, I am certain I wouldn't like it.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Is Ranch also called Thousand Island because I don't know if we have Ranch here at all?

I think mayo mixed with ketchup is divine.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Classic ranch has herbs, garlic, minced green onion, mayonaisse and buttermilk or sour cream. This recipe claims to taste just like the original stuff from Hidden Valley Ranch:

Ingredients
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon MSG
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    1 pinch dried thyme

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.
    Cover and chill for several hours before using.

On the bottle of ranch dressing my niece got, high fructose corn syrup is the third ingredient after water and soybean oil. Blech. I don't want to dip my veggies in sugar. I tried some hoping it might not taste so bad, since it was only 3 grams of sugar per serving (I've seen some as high as 10 grams), but nope. It still tasted too sweet to me.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

AFAIK, ranch isn't mayo based exactly, the texture is definitely different as well as the taste. It's usually sour cream and/or buttermilk mixed with mayo and lots of basic seasonings like garlic, dill, green onion, parsley, etc. The premade bottled stuff seems to include sugar for some reason, but not usually the homemade type.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Or, what she said.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well thanks Zuul, now I gotta make some dressing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by RabbitMage View post
    Well thanks Zuul, now I gotta make some dressing.
    I live to serve.

If you don't have MSG, adding a little bit of extra onion powder and salt to taste should be fine. But everybody should have MSG, for it is umami in a can.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    I live to serve.

If you don't have MSG, adding a little bit of extra onion powder and salt to taste should be fine. But everybody should have MSG, for it is umami in a can.
    I buy my MSG at an Asian market. It's MUCH cheaper than Accent or other US brands.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

I can think of a couple things that would not work well with ranch as a substitute for mayo: tuna sandwich, and the BLT. Especially the latter. It would ruin the sandwich for me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

What about shooters?

I would rather do shots of ranch than shots of mayo.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali View post
    I buy my MSG at an Asian market. It's MUCH cheaper than Accent or other US brands.
    Same here. I am a True Believer in the power of MSG to make your food tastier.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have to admit, Zuul's recipe for ranch is appealing.

Which is odd - considering that these days I hate ranch. I loathe it. It disgusts me. I will do anything to avoid it. There is no good reason to use it, and it ruins anything it touches.

Of course, it may just be that I am still reacting to having lived with someone who would use it with everything. Except, maybe, her cereal.

Registered
    Feb 2009

You can't substitute ranch for mayo, ever. Period. I mean, if you're in a pinch and need something to lube up an otherwise dry sandwich then maybe, but the two are apples and oranges.

Besides, everyone knows that Catalina is the best salad dressing for dipping things in, especially grilled cheese sandwiches.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Jul 2009

Ranch is the only thing that french fries can be dipped in. Period.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Nrblex View post
    What about nacho cheese sauce?
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Variety is the spice of life kids. Nothing would make ranch dressing turn bleh quicker than substituting it for mayo.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Nrblex View post
    Quote Originally posted by Glazer View post
    What about nacho cheese sauce?
    And gravy? Or chili and cheese? Fries are eminently versatile.

Registered
    Jul 2009

Okay, okay, french fries are good with cheese and chili and gravy and sour cream and barbeque sauce.

Damnit. I really want french fries now. I shouldn't have skipped breakfast.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ranch dressing is gross. I hate the stuff with a passion usually reserved for those who gang-rape your sister. When I take over the planet, Hidden Valley will be the first place nuked.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus View post
    Ranch dressing is gross. I hate the stuff with a passion usually reserved for those who gang-rape your sister. When I take over the planet, Hidden Valley will be the first place nuked.
    But then you'll have radioactive ranch dressing cinders all going downwind with the other contamination.

I'm planning to just remove all the signage that would allow truckers to find it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Damn. You do hate Ranch.

Places I would nuke before Hidden Valley:

Chuck E. Cheese's
    Any cutsie coffee place with "& More" in the name.
    Fox News
    All Cash for Gold stores
    Tom Cruise's place

-Jim Rockford

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I finally got around to reading the ingredient list on the Paul Newman's ranch dressing that I foolishly bought thinking it would taste good. Sure enough, vinegar is high up on the ingredient list. Idiots. The whole point of ranch is that it is NOT a vinegar-based dressing and can therefore be consumed by those of us whose tongues shrivel in torment at tasting lettuce and vinegar simultaneously. Don't get me wrong, I like lettuce and I like vinegar. But together they are inedible - I'm sure it's one of those "can-you-taste-the-chemical-on-the-paper-blot-things," and I can taste whatever gawd-awful substance is created when vinegar and chlorophyl (or something) are combined all too well.

So please nuke Paul Newman's before Hidden Valley.

Registered
    Feb 2009

But...it's hidden. You'll never find it.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

So, what about Thousand Island?

-Jim Rockford

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Taumpy View post
    I can think of a couple things that would not work well with ranch as a substitute for mayo: tuna sandwich, and the BLT. Especially the latter. It would ruin the sandwich for me.
    I agree about the BLT, but I almost always make my tuna sandwiches with chipotle ranch. I don't love regular ranch dressing, but I loooooove the chipotle ranch.

Registered
    Mar 2009

When I was a kid Kraft (I think it was Kraft) used to sell California Onion dressing. I loved the stuff. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Would eat salad just to get the stuff.

Do they still make the stuff?

I want some. Like ranch, but with some nads.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Diana View post
    I agree about the BLT, but I almost always make my tuna sandwiches with chipotle ranch. I don't love regular ranch dressing, but I loooooove the chipotle ranch.
    I tried tuna salad with ranch dressing and Frank's hot sauce last night. It was incredible. I shall be making this again in the future.

+ Reply to thread