+ Reply to Article

Article: New Moon, psychological horror

1. New Moon, psychological horror

2 Comments by Zuul Published on 27 Nov 2009 05:53 PM
    A new story entry has been added:

New Moon, psychological horror

New Moon, the sequel to Twilight, is an entertaining, if bizarre, movie.
    Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) is turning eighteen and is deeply disturbed by the fact that her vampire boyfriend Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) will remain seventeen for eternity. While most people can push fears about their mortality off into the distant future, she has a constant reminder of her own aging. After Bella gets a paper cut and sends one of the Cullen clan into a frenzy, Edward fears the danger she's in and finds the first excuse he can to skip town and avoid contact with her. While he's gone, Bella starts to grow closer to her friend Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner). A vengeful vampire is also lurking about, apparently wanting to kill Bella while her protectors the Cullens are gone.

2. Total Comments 2

Comments

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    If the Cullens are metaphorical Mormons, then the werewolves are their nemeses: the homosexuals.
    I think that was mostly Rosenberg (who wrote the script). Meyer's werewolves were more metaphorical of just plain growing up. It's not until you have the visuals (half naked, wet, very physical with eachother) and the lines you quoted that you have the gay parallel.

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    There were a few major plot holes that had me wincing. The climactic scene hinges on the fact that Bella is special and is immune to vampiric powers, except that within the first ten minutes of the movie a vampire uses his powers to influence her emotions. Another problem is that the vampire that's out to get Bella never goes looking for her and instead just wanders around killing random people until by pure accident the vampire ends up in the same place as her. And finally, the strangest, is how can a vampire who goes into a frenzy over the blood from a paper cut manage to stay under control when he spends all day in a high school where paper cuts are very likely and there are no doubt dozens of girls menstruating at any moment?
    First, that bothered me when I was reading the books, as Meyer [I]never[I] addresses why Jasper's power works on Bella when none of the other direct effect powers (mind reading, psychic pain, cutting off of senses) work on her at all.

If I remember right, Alice's power (visions of the future) only work because she sees the effect of Bella's decisions. It doesn't work on the werewolves because they're "not stable." They're more instinctive, so they don't always go through the same decision making process as other people.

Second, before the Cullens left, Bella was under their protection, so Victoria (the vampire out to get Bella) was looking for a way around Alice and the first few werewolves. She sent Laurent, who'd endeared himself to the Cullens in the first book, to check things out for her, which is why she isn't actually seen until later in the movie.

As for the menstrual blood, that's also not in the books, but Meyer addressed it in an interview for one of the fan sites. Apparently, menstrual blood has a different quality (she calls it "dead blood," I think) so it's unappealing to vampires.

...yes, I know it's a little sad that I know this stuff.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by 0ut0fMyHead View post
    I think that was mostly Rosenberg (who wrote the script). Meyer's werewolves were more metaphorical of just plain growing up. It's not until you have the visuals (half naked, wet, very physical with eachother) and the lines you quoted that you have the gay parallel.
    Hey, I'm not complaining. I didn't mind watching those boys one little bit.

Thanks for the attempt at explaining those plot holes, at least. I'm dissatisfied with the blood one (people are accidentally bleeding small amounts all the time), but the bit about Victoria makes sense at least.

Jasper being able to influence Bella's emotions is a major problem, though, and it appears to show up throughout the books so this wasn't a one time goof. I know you're a fan, but frankly, I just don't think they're very good writing.

However, I must say this: true love be damned. Look at those abs.

+ Reply to Article