+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is Bing as good as Google?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Is Bing as good as Google?

I use Google for just about any internet search and I am very used to the layout, the results and the ads down the side. I can usually make return the results I want.

Now, Microsoft has released Bing across here a little while after the US and so I have to ask is it any good and is it as good as Google?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I have so far ignored Bing online.

I do love a couple of the commercials for the product. "Who's waiting?"
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

I haven't used it much, but my kid loves it. In some trials we've done, their map feature's been better than Google's.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I tried it a couple of times when it became public, and the results were an order of magnitude below an identical Google search.

So either it is that much inferior to Google, or the query syntax is substantially different.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Had a quick look and don't like it.

Has to be said that I hate all the search engines other than Google and go to great lengths to avoid them, particularly Ask! and Yahoo!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I saw the commercial and heard that someone said the image search was better than Google’s. It’s not.

I don’t get the rationale behind the whole thing. How are you going to beat Google at their own game? They not only continue to innovate and design new, cool features to their page but they have become a generic word for searching stuff online. You don’t tell someone to “Yahoo it” or “Ask.com it”. You refer to web searching as “Googling.” I mean, I could sell some pretty swanky gelatin deserts or facial tissues, but I’ll never be Jell-O or Kleenex. Microsoft is kind of stupid.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

artifex noticed ads for Bing on Google. That's about the most ringing endorsement of Google's supremacy I can think of.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun View post
    I saw the commercial and heard that someone said the image search was better than Google’s. It’s not.

I don’t get the rationale behind the whole thing. How are you going to beat Google at their own game? They not only continue to innovate and design new, cool features to their page but they have become a generic word for searching stuff online. You don’t tell someone to “Yahoo it” or “Ask.com it”. You refer to web searching as “Googling.” I mean, I could sell some pretty swanky gelatin deserts or facial tissues, but I’ll never be Jell-O or Kleenex. Microsoft is kind of stupid.
    Well maybe that is what they are going for. Did you ever think of that. They want people to start using Microsoft interchangeably with stupid. It explains office 2007 and Vista too.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I was surprised to see an ad for AskJeeves on the telly the other night. I wasn't aware it still existed. When doing vanity searchs for my music I notice that yahoo and google pick up different stuff, the bulk, say 90% of hits are the same, but there are differences.

Obeah Man, Mischief Maker, Lord of Bees Skald the Rhymer's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Well maybe that is what they are going for. Did you ever think of that. They want people to start using Microsoft interchangeably with stupid. It explains office 2007 and Vista too.
    Thou art God.
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

Registered
    Mar 2009

My favorite part of Bing is that it is the default search engine for IE now, and to change the default to Google you have to go to the second page of the search providers.

After trying Bing a couple of times (mostly by accident due to it not being the default) I found that the results I was given were nowhere near as relevant as the same search on Google.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Bing sucks.

Unless it's cherries.

+ Reply to thread